Sugar

Options
I keep finding myself going over my sugar limit everyday when a lot of the time its the FRUIT that has the most sugar. Is this bad to go over when its mostly grapes, bananas, apples ??

Replies

• Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I looked this up when I started, they are talking about added sugar. So basically don't count the sugar from fruits.

http://www.reducetriglycerides.com/diet_triglycerides_sugar.htm
  • maineislandgirl
    maineislandgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh Good! I was just wondering the SAME thing!
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi

Sugar is hard to keep down, especially when it is in the form of fruit. Maybe switch to berries or keep the fruit to 1 - 2 pieces a day?? Research what fruits are lower in sugar and see what is available in your area (you are in Winter aren't you?)

I was a sugar addict until I cut out sugar from my diet (packaged and table sugar). I try to only have the minimum pieces of fruit but it is Summer here, so berries and stone fruit are in abundance at the moment.

Do you eat packaged food with sugar added, or have sugar in your drinks? Hidden sugars are the worst cos you think you are doing okay but in reality they are keeping you addicted to the stuff!!

Good luck in working it all out :flowerforyou:
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    I love fruit myself and eat PLENTY but avoid high glycemic ones. Bananas, watermelon and grapes etc.(oh and most dried fruits) tend to have a higher GI. On workout days I wouldn't worry about the sugar coming from fruit. If you're not eating boat-loads of it, you're okay :smile:
    Low GI fruits are for example, citrus fruits like Grapefruit (!!!), apples, berries, pears.... you'll find fruit GI lists everywhere online, check it out.
    BAD *kitten*-SUGAR = Sucrose, refined sugars.....
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS over my sugar! I just don't worry about it as long as it is coming from natural sugars like fruit. I made a smoothie yesterday for breakfast and was over my sugar already just from that. There were no added sugars in it at all.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I don't tend to worry about my natural sugars because it has never stopped my weightloss or any of my goals but although your body processes all sugars the same way. Sugars in fruits are with simple carbs and from what I have gained it is nothing to worry about.
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It was incredibly frustrating to see that red sugar number every day. I thought I was doing ok because I kept processed or added sugar to a minimum. But I do enjoy the health benefits of a wide variety of fruit which unfortunately blows the sugar number.

Rather than continue to feel defeated because I couldn't keep the sugar number down, I chose to remove sugar from my diary. I still watch what I eat but I no longer have that red number staring me in the face every day.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to think that the only thing that didn't have sugar is water. I love fruit and its usually a staple for breakfast and them as afternoon snack/dessert rather than chocolate. I don't know why the guidelines don't include natural sugars. Maybe that's an update they can do, because I refuse to give up raisins and tropical fruit for a pesky #.