Weight Fluctuation

Options
I know you don't weigh the same amount every day (or even throughout the day), but how much weight fluctuation is too much?

Replies

• amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I give myself a +3/-3
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It's what you're comfortable with. I give myself +/- 5 lbs.
  • lenarashminraj
    lenarashminraj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    +/- 3lbs
  • projhex
    projhex Posts: 23
    Options
    I weigh in at the exact same time every day and mine goes +- 5 pounds.

My graph looks like this: http://imgur.com/NPl7vOm

It really takes weeks to see a trend.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates 5 lbs up during the week. Even though I do meal prep and eat consistently throughout the week. I have my "cheat meal" during the weekends but I eat a reasonable portion size, drink a good amount of water, and work out on those days. I just don't get it. I've been at a plateau for the past 6 weeks. Arghh.
  • dfsykes
    dfsykes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    +/- 5 pounds
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Check out Hacker's Diet Online: https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet/

He has a tracking tool that shows you a running average of your weights over time. He goes into the details of how the average is calculated, if you are interested in knowing how the numbers works. Helps you identify true gains vs normal fluctuations in water weight.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you watch what you actually do, that will tell you what's normal for you.

When I was young I bounced within 5 pounds. Now I bounce within 2 or 3 (NOT +- 3, just 3). It also matters how big you are.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Most experts agree 1-3 lbs flux is very normal.

More if you tend to retain a lot of water during the 'special time' of the month.

In Maint Mode I felt like I really had to accept the weight flux and not see it as a setback as if I was still trying to lose wt.

Once I've accepted the wt flux as a norm, I was much less freaked out about it.

I also set a 'DANGER' wt for myself as a point where I may need to re-evaluate what I was doing. ie. too lax on the junk food

My 'DANGER' weight is 99 lbs.

But most of all the one constant thing I've learned through this 'getting healthier' process is that not one size fits all. Weight is such a personal & individualized thing. I would echo some of the other posters to OP that it boils down to what you feel comfortable with and what will work for you in the long run.

Good luck!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    +/- 5 pounds.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My normal is 3lbs, more if my sodium is very high.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Little story this week I upped my calories to 2.5k This included a significant increase in carbs. So I was more than expecting my body to store extra Glycogen. What I didn't know is that the little 21 calorie jars of garlic cloves in brine I was eating. And logging as quick added calories. Contained a stunning 3500mg of Sodium each.

Waar Waaar WAAAAAAAAR.

So yeah I step on the scale on my 2nd day ... I'm a lb heavier no biggie.
    Thrid day comes along. I am now 4lb Heavier ... PANIC!!
    Fourth day 6lb Heavier ... WTF?!

At that point I started looking for the reasons as you can see I found them. I spent a whole day force feeding myself water and sweating buckets on the cardio machine. And checking the color of my pee. Finally in the evening the water ran clear.

This morning I am now down the the weight I was at the start of the week. 6lb out overnight. Which considering I probably still AM storing extra glycogen. Probably means I did in fact burn some fat this week. And there's still 2 days to go.

So yeah depending on your habits weight fluctuation can be serious business.
  • ottawapk
    ottawapk Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Up to 60% of the human body is water! So it makes sense that our weight would fluctuate quite a bit due to water retention/dehydration. I think people put way, way too much emphasis on the daily fluctuations of number on the scale - it's just not that big a deal!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Seems like you got your answer already, it is a common concern and question. To throw my experiences into the mix I will add that last weekend on a trip to the cabin I ate some salty potato chips (and quite a few), threw in some alcohol, nacho platter and noticed my weight was up 9 lbs. I am used to fluctuations but wow....9 lbs put a scare in me.

Happy to report it came off within a week and I am now below my weight prior to the trip.

Salt tends to do that to people, coupled with some overeating and you can definitely gain 5 lbs in a day or two. It is not a 'true' weight, as your body will deal with it as soon as the shock wears off. Water is retained to help dissolve and distribute, it eventually passes.

Going for a jog, or long bike ride, I have noticed that I can sweat out 2 lbs of water. It is not a true weight loss either, as your body will replace the missing fluid as you intake liquids. The body is pretty amazing and weighing often, and carefully logging you can learn quite a bit about how you react to working out, exercise, or overeating!

Have a nice day
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    It's what you're comfortable with. I give myself +/- 5 lbs.

This is what works for me. I have been 150-155 since January except for one week that I was on steroids to treat my asthma. I got up to 157 then, but I know from experience that steroids make me retain water. I dropped it right off the next week.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Right about 2 lbs is what I average.