You are gaining weight!

Options
I have had few people at work tell me that I gained weight last winter and every time I got annoyed .I just feel like its none of their business and there is no need to bring it up.This one girl was like "you put on so much weight! in front of someone else which embarrassed me.I then told her that I didn't apriciate it bringing it up then she apologized.I would never bring it up when someone gains weight unless if its someone close to me like a child or husband and it was health concern.Other than that I minf my own business.Have you ever had this happen to you? How did you react?

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Someone had seen me at a gym we both went to. He commented at work, "so you're going to the gym, huh". I nodded yep. Then he said "you should have started going sooner". Never mind he was no skinny Minnie hisself and fast forward a couple years now we can fit two of me in his belly. Well not quite but he's of fairly generous proportions even more so now. :angry: What can I say, people say stupid things, just do you
  • dp135
    dp135 Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't really have any advice, just wanted to say I am sorry you had to endure that. People are insensitive - sometimes they are clueless and don't get it as they have never struggled with weight and sometimes they are just mean.
    In the one or two times I have felt that type of embarrassment my usual response was yes I am aware. Weight is a struggle for me, and I have had a very stressful year. I am currently working on getting healthier. That usually did it. If it were to go on, I would then say, you've made your point but now you are making me feel uncomfortable and we need to talk about something else.
  • marricurt
    marricurt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We have a name for those people in Australia.... It's called '*kitten* hole.' Enough said.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    People can be jerks. Ignore them.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Having been very skinny (95-97 lbs) my entire life, it was noticeable when I began putting on weight due to medication. In the past 3 years I've gained 111 lbs. I was at my Papa's funeral (of all places to make such a comment) last June and a great aunt who hadn't seen me in about a year said to me, "Wow, you really packed on the weight, huh?" :grumble:
  • watmall
    watmall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This has happen to me. I am a really direct person, So if you feel comfortable with telling me that then feel comfortable with my very blunt reply. Which goes something like this ( why are you worried about it)? Usually that ends the conversation.
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's an awful thing to say, but that is some people for you. They don't think about what they say and how it it affects others.

It sucks and is most definitely douchey. Besides being pissed off for a moment recognize some people are idiots and can't help themselves and make sure you're not the douche when talking to others.
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's pretty rude to say that. Some people engage their mouths before their brains.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that there are people who would say that to someone. I could never think about making a comment about someone's weight, especially to their faces. Some people are just so rude and don't ever think about what comes out of their mouths.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    You're probably just prettier/smarter/more successful/somehow better than her and she is jealous, saw a possible weakness in you, and went in for the kill.

Some women just work that way. Be the better woman and compliment her on something next time you see her, realizing that her own personal insecurities have no bearing on your own self esteem.
  • LambrettaVVespa
    LambrettaVVespa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah my father told me my "legs are getting fat again". Nobody should let anything like that bother them though - it's good motivation.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Someone had seen me at a gym we both went to. He commented at work, "so you're going to the gym, huh". I nodded yep. Then he said "you should have started going sooner". Never mind he was no skinny Minnie hisself and fast forward a couple years now we can fit two of me in his belly. Well not quite but he's of fairly generous proportions even more so now. :angry: What can I say, people say stupid things, just do you
    "I've missed you at the gym. How have your workouts been going?"

You're probably too nice to say it, though.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yeah my father told me my "legs are getting fat again". Nobody should let anything like that bother them though - it's good motivation.

Nope I am fully aware when I gain weight.I don't need someone telling me that
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Lol, I would have said "you need t go to gym as well"fatty. Actually this one girl who said it to me is heavier than me so I told her that she is heavier than me and she is worried about my weight? that shut her up
  • 36Frieda
    36Frieda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For some reason my family feels like they need to inform me of my weight status every time they see me, whether I gained or lost. Drives me insane. I tell them that not every random thought regarding my looks that enters their brain needs to come out of their mouth but there seems to be a serious look of impulse control. Still does not hurt to remind them. Often.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Hah. It's one of those things when you then work with the person three years later and they're not anywhere near as douchy. Lord knows I ain't perfect so many that was one of his moments.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My mom went to Australia a few years ago. She was gone for about 3 months and I had put on weight during that time. Her first comment when she got back: "Wow, you gained weight." :indifferent: Thanks...like I wasn't aware of that. I swear she has no filter between her thoughts and her mouth. She even asked if I had gained to much weight while I was pregnant a couple months ago. :noway: Oh well, she's my mom...even if she does say some rude s*** sometimes.