Push mowing - count as exercise??

Options
MFP is set to my sedentary lifestyle. When I push mow my yard, should I add this as exercise? With my heart monitor on, the apps estimate 800-1000 calories when I do my yard.... Not that I want to eat these back....

Replies

• Sharbear73
    Sharbear73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Of course! I see others who post that. I don't have a yard...just a pool...no mowing here lol
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Dang dude, how big is your yard? lol
  • susancecconi
    Options
    Absolutely should count that as exercise, I used to keep a big yard and was in the best shape of my life (back then)!
  • katiegrieder
    Options
    How big is your yard?? If it's more than just a couple of passes then I would say yes count it. I would consider that a full body exercise.
  • I add it as exercise, at about 50% of what MFP estimates. If I am not feeling particularly hungry, I might just let fitbit handle it instead (which would then mostly count the walking part not maneuvering the 70 pound beast around ditches, etc.).
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I count it. I put on my HRM so I can get a somewhat accurate reading.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    My yard is a half acre, when I used a riding mower I never counted it. Right now my rider isn't running so I'm pushing and it takes a good 90 minutes non stop to cut in the 95 degree heat so yep I count it now.
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    1. I'm not in very good shape, so my HR is up pretty high when I am pushing and pulling the mower around.
    2. It takes about 1 hr 15 minutes total, so I get a similar reading in calories for my average 1 hour bike ride around town.

Thanks for the comments. I will continue to add it. Thanks, kuddukan
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I count mine we have a Huge uneven yard with lots of objects to mow around ( do to the kids and trees ) its one heck of a good workout ( my HRM normally gives me about 800 for an hour of push mowing my yard normally takes me close to two hours to mow if I do it all myself how have I typically do half and hubby dose the other half )
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer or anything, but I'd be really surprised if you're spending more than 400 calories on that. I use about 400 running for a solid hour.
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer or anything, but I'd be really surprised if you're spending more than 400 calories on that. I use about 400 running for a solid hour.

Well for now I am not eating back any calories burned so it is merely a matter of "journal accuracy" I guess.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    yes, I log it anyways. I only mow every other week, so its not an everyday activity.
  • Sharbear73
    Sharbear73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    He wants to lose a 100 pounds so I'm sure he is burning much more calories than you would doing the same thing. :)

ETA that was to the dude who thought you weren't burning more than 400 Cals.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Yes, add it! An average yard probably wouldn't burn that many calories but just don't eat it back and you'll be good. Great job getting active, now keep going!