Help. I am at a standstill.

Options
Hi,

Goodnight,

I am still new to MFP. Before I joined I lost about 25 lbs. Now for the past 2 weeks I have been very strict and measuring, weighing and logging everything. I have started a gym and been exercising 6 days a week which is amazing as I went from doing nothing at all. I have even hit 50 and 60 mins on the elliptical. Except for Friday night (a rare occasion that I went out) I have been eating under 1200 calories a day. For over 2 weeks now I have not lost anything. I can't up my exercise anymore and I am about to give up. Every morning when I get on a scale I want to cry. I have been seeing all the post on TDEE and BMI and tried to read up but still don't understand it.

I will be 46 on Tuesday, now at 159 lbs and 160 cm.

Any advice at all I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Vicky

Replies

• Susanlove316
    Susanlove316 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Our bodies do have to adjust, so sometimes we plateau and build muscle then drop some more fat. It isn't always consistent. Don't give up. If we push ourselves too hard we get all those crazy destructive emotions and burn out. Be kind to yourself like you would someone else but keep going! I am really successful at losing weight! It's keeping it off that gets me! I would ride my bike for hours but when I had injuries I would get so stressed and depressed and eat. For me at this point I realize I have to make it a lifestyle that I can keep up with and not push as hard. It helps to have fun too. Mix things up. Change the exercise routine. Have a higher calorie day then a lower one. You can do it. As long as you try you are moving in the right direction. <3
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    whats your macros?

start consuming 30-35% protein 30-35% healthy fats, almonds extra virgin olive oil.

you want to seriously loose weight? strength train - lift weights. Ladies won't get building muscles but your body fat percentage will be shred, and you won't loose weight overall perhaps however muscle is leaner than fat.
  • vickymva
    vickymva Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have started weights at the gym too. :-(
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    I have started weights at the gym too. :-(

^increase the intensity

do circuit training, and work on other body parts in between reps.

you do chest - go do abs - immediately

do abs - go do chest

do chest - go do legs

do legs -go do abs

and smile. and realize the next shave of weight was sought after more and far more rewarding

:bigsmile:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Assuming you a r e accurately tracking your calories your intake is far to low. Eating less than 1200 calories a day while exercising 6 days a week for an hour at a time is starving yourself. It will make you weak, emotionally frayed and you will quit.

Relax, eat more just slightly less than your body requires for maintenance and stop stressing yourself over your scale. Commit to something you can sustain long term and just get used to it so you can do it for the years to come.

This isn't supposed to hurt.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

This isn't supposed to hurt.
    :drinker:
  • vickymva
    Options
    I am very very specific with my weighing portions etc. If anything I add extra calories to my log just to make sure I have covered my self and I log less than the stated amount of calories burned again to make sure that I don't give myself more than I should.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    I am very very specific with my weighing portions etc. If anything I add extra calories to my log just to make sure I have covered my self and I log less than the stated amount of calories burned again to make sure that I don't give myself more than I should.

then drink more water?

I mean if your at a calorie deficit you loose weight. its just basics.. it has too.
  • vickymva
    Options
  • receiverofsteps
    receiverofsteps Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have heard of WeightGrapher? Instead of graphing the individual weight measurements themselves, it gives you a trendline, which makes it easier for you to see that even on days when you don't seem to be making progress, as long as your weight is not above the trendline, you are not gaining weight. Please don't give up! From personal experience, at a stage like this, giving up brings the weigh back up even higher than pre-diet (if that word is acceptable). Like others have said, eating protein-oriented meals for those intense exercises helps.
  • potsygirl3766
    Options
    Wow, you are so good and disciplined and exercise so much! That's awesome and amazing! I was very discouraged this morning to find I GAINED 3 lbs since yesterday! I'm like 'What the..' . I log all my calories, everything I eat and stay around 1,000 calories a day. I can't exercise unfortunately because of an medical condition I have but I do what little bit I can. Why would I GAIN when I am sticking to the dietary restrictions like I am supposed to??? So confused and discouraged.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    then if you want to look insane and get immediate results do

HIIT

if you have no idea what it is then google it.

I sprint uphill for mine. 15-30 mins of torture = body fat shred to pieces.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Are you sleeping better?
    Do you breathe more easily?
    Is your concentration better?
    Do you feel more lively?
    If yes, then stop looking at the negatives
    and see the positives.
    There's more to health than weight loss
  • Emmaa233
    Emmaa233 Posts: 12
    Options
    On a treadmill you can usually select a workout. A fat burn workout is jogging, then running, then repeating
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Are you sleeping better?
    Do you feel more lively?
    and see the positives.

great metrics.
  • gary241069
    Options
    Are you sleeping better?
    Do you feel more lively?
    and see the positives.

great metrics.

Thanks
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in your weight loss journey, you will hit a plateau and it appears that you aren't making any progress because the scale isn't moving. Do you take measurements? Sometimes when they scale isn't moving, you are losing inches. The key to losing weight and getting fit and healthy is consistency. Even if you aren't seeing immediate results on the scale, keep doing the right things every day and you will start to see the scale move again. You might need to shake up your workouts...I like to vary my workouts during the week and every couple of months or so make a change. I workout 6 days a week, every week without fail 30-60+ minutes a day. Those workouts include a combination of flexibility, strength, cardio, HIITs, etc. I do all my workouts at home - Right now I'm doing a hybrid of PiYo, TurboFire and running but prior to this I was doing P90x3. I like to change it up to keep it interesting. Also, be sure to drink AT LEAST half your body weight in ounces of water every day. I drink double that. Stay in your calorie range but be sure you are eating healthy food so that you are property fueling your body. I just can't get on board with people who say a calorie is a calorie - a candy bar isn't the same fuel for your body as a big salad with turkey even though the calories may be the same. :) Keep us posted on your results!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't long enough to really see a change, so be patient.

Is the exercise new? Or, have you significantly increased the length or intensity? When you start a new workout program, your muscles can hold onto water for the first few weeks. It's really common to see a plateau (or even small gain) when you first start. Frustrating, yes, but temporary. Give it another two weeks and then see where you are.
  • vickymva
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • gary241069
    Options
    .You are so welcome.:flowerforyou: