what to eat before an early morning workout.

Options
After struggling greatly with fitting in anything for a year now. I have decided to stop making excuses and make the time to go to the gym at 5:45am and getting my workout in before the kids get up. But what is something good, quick, easy and low carb to eat that early in the morning.

Replies

• btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Is this to boost your workout or as breakfast?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    salad
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana and/or some greek yogurt. It's not heavy on my stomach and the protein from the yogurt helps keep me full for awhile.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just fast. Other times I just eat some yogurt and light fruit before the workout. Then I have a real meal or something to match the prior... all staying in my goals of course.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    That early in the morning I have whey protein and maltodextrin with maybe an egg thrown in.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I usually have a string cheese or a Greek yogurt. Then I have a "real" breakfast after my workout--egg, piece of toast, and piece of fruit or turkey sausage.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat an handful of raisins if I'm working out first thing in the morning. Anything else upsets my stomach, at least during cardio. But I don't wait very long after workout to eat more!
  • eshults89
    eshults89 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bananas are the best!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nuts!
  • nailer60
    nailer60 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with sliced up banana and Cinnamon on top
  • claychick2
    claychick2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a Dale's protein bar (22g protein, 14-15 g carb, etc.). They're awesome. And a lot of water.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I eat blueberries or strawberries on my way to the gym.
    After workout I'll have a protein shake before my shower.
    Once I get to work I have breakfast which is half a cup of egg whites, one egg and a string cheese.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise on an empty stomach, then eat my egg, toast and spinach (yeah, I'm wierd like that) afterwards. Then, it is a mini-meal about every 2-2 1/2 hours after that.

If I'm very hungry on waking, I'll have a banana and wait fifteen minutes before getting started. Am curious about what others do, so thank you for asking this great question!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    when i work out in the morning it's on an empty stomach. then again i've never been able to effectively work out after eating
  • arf24_1
    arf24_1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5am on an empty stomach, slam a protein shake after my shower
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I would say it is personal preference when it comes to any meal, whether it be breakfast or lunch or dinner for that matter... You have a set amount of calories for each day as well as macros so establish your choices based of that.. I say personal preference because some don't like eating before workouts regardless of timing. I am not one of them, I get up at 5:30 and eat 1200 calories then get around and head to the Gym to get my workout in... I couldn't fathom going on an empty stomach first thing. But you reverse the time and I go to the Gym at 6 in the evening and the last thing I want to do is eat before I go. At that time I prefer going, working out, and then eating when I get home... Best of Luck....
  • Charcharlottey
    Options
    I do the same thing.

I teach preschool (even now in the summer) and usually make it to the gym by 6 am to get my workout in. Before work and every other excuse I could find not to. It becomes effortless and more of a habit. I find that when I start the day off with my workout, I am relieved, less anxious and happy to get it over with before evening beginning my day.

my favorite food to eat before I go to the gym is an entire banana, cut up and put into plain Greek yogurt with Chia seeds. So yummy and easy.
  • jennetsullivan
    jennetsullivan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat half a protein bar (Pure Protein - Chocolate Peanut Butter - Protein Bar) before my workout, and the other half after the workout. It's been working AWESOME for me, and it's easy and quick so I actually do it :tongue:
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I will suggest you to eat fruits, green salad, the loaf of bread, packet of oatmeal, calogs etc. are good enough for you so that you can eat it early in morning before workout.
  • daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will suggest you to eat fruits, green salad, the loaf of bread, packet of oatmeal, calogs etc. are good enough for you so that you can eat it early in morning before workout.

The loaf of bread? I'm confused...