What food scale do you use?

Options
So, today at wal mart I somehow stumbled upon food scales and figured 20 bucks was no biggie. I bring the darn thing home and it is junk. A waste of $20. What food scale do you use, and how much did it cost you? I'm not looking to buy junk again, but I don't have $$$ to spend, if ya know what I mean. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Walmart is very good about letting you return things, so take it back. I bought mine from weight watchers a few years ago and it is really accurate, but I really can't remember how much I paid for it. Have you checked out Amazon or other online sites?
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use the ibalance 5000. I love it. I got it on Amazon.com with free shipping. Total $36.99. Accurate to 1 gram. Goes up to 11 pounds. Does grams, ounces, tares, all kinds of stuff.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have a perfect portions scale. It wasn't super cheap, but I like it and it has lasted many years for me.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I started off with the cheap one at Walmart, then got another from there for home for about $30 bucks. {I'm in bed, and don't remember the name brand} It does pretty good, but lately it will get 1 gram off when I take the food off the scale and put the empty plate back on. But it has a zero button, so no big deal. It may be batteries? I bought a little nicer one for work. It was a few dollars more, and I think it is a Taylor brand. I'll look at the names tomorrow.

Larro
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a cuisinart. The one with the stainless steel bowl that is removable. It was 50.00. It's worth the money. I had a small scale and it fell apart.
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use the EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale from Amazon, bought it for $25 with free shipping around Christmas time and use it multiple times a day and the battery is just now dying. Really simple, relatively cheap, has grams, kg, ounces, pounds, and a zero button. Works great as a mail scale as well. Having a food scale really helps keep portions in check and accurate logging on MFP, so definitely get one. As someone else mentioned Walmart has a pretty good return policy so get your money back if you have the receipt or even get a gift card if you dont have the receipt anymore.
  • amjo2693
    amjo2693 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I purchased one at Weight Watchers when I was a member. I think it cost about $35 and it was worth every penny. I use it daily and it has definitely helped me to accurately portion my food.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Got a little cheapy bouncy food scale from Walmart years ago. Works for now, but I'd really like to get a digital one. More accurate for baking :heart:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I have an Ozeri. Probably around $15-20... got it on Amazon probably close to 2 years ago and it's still working just fine.
  • amandagorder
    amandagorder Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I got the glass better homes and gardens one. it does every thing but I think I spent around 35ish
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    A cheap digital one of eBay, cost me £5 and works fine
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 dollar biggest loser one from Walmart that I bough 4 years ago and love it! Ive only recently had to replace the battery. It has a glass plate so it looks decent if I leave it on the counter. It does grams/onces and tares.
    If you don't know what tare is......It is when you sit a bowl on it and want it to start at 0, or to add milk to weigh your milk separately from your ceral
  • aufond
    aufond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oxo Good Grips digital scale. It's now one of my favorite kitchen tools, I use it every day. It easily converts from ounces to grams with the push of a button, has a large easy-to-read display which can extend from the scale if you're trying to weigh a large bowl or plate (on a lot of scales that would obscure the display). Also, the weighing surface detaches from the unit if you want to clean it. It's not cheap (I think it was about $50 on amazon), but it's high quality, I don't expect I'll ever have to buy another one, at least for a very long time!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It seems pretty accurate. Really easy to keep clean. Only been using it for a couple of months.

MIRA Brands Digital Kitchen Scale in Tempered Glass, 11-Pound, White

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECIX4HW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Mainstays Digital Kitchen Scale from Walmart 5 years ago actually for my sons pinewood derby. However I have been using it for the last 7 months since I started using MFP and love it. It's simple to use, I like the fact that you can zero it over and over to allow measuring each ingredient i.e. when I’m making a salad I can zero it after I add the lettuce, then add tomatoes and know exactly what the weight is and zero it again for the next ingredient that I add.
    I just looked at the Walmart website and they have remodeled the scale but it looks familiar enough and the cost is still under 20 bucks.
    Did you get a different scale? Either way, if you don’t like it return it, Walmart is pretty darn good about returns.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-Silver/35854316
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I got a decent no-name scale on eBay for $1.00 and $4.00 postage
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Here's my scale and that's just for my light snacks:

Harvester_Cardinal-Scale.jpg
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I bought the $20 Walmart one you're talking about and it works perfectly fine. I've had it for a few months and haven't had any problems at all.
  • mindful2012
    mindful2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the EatSmart Precision Pro digital kitchen scale. I bought it in 2011 on amazon.com and paid $25. Still have it, still use it and it's great.

I just ordered a smaller travel size scale, the American Weigh Scale Ac-650 Digital pocket scale. I now carry it in my purse. I paid 10.29 on amazon.com and so far I like it.

Cathy