Is bread really bad?

Options
I am trying to lose another 10 ibs. I diet pretty ok I guess. The problem is I eat my veggies, eggs, and fruit but, I love bread. I can't go 1 day without eating a jelly sandwich, or an egg salad sandwich. I eat it on white bread. Is this affecting my diet by my bread consumption? ~Thanks

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    People are gonna have 101 different answers for you.

I say no way...it's not important. I personally prefer wheat bread and can go days without it...but I have other things I like that some might think are "bad", we all do.

To me a jelly sandwich would be really unsatisfying (how about adding PB?). But if you find it satisfying and you're meeting your calorie goal and getting enough protein, fiber, etc...by all means, enjoy it.

Unless you have some sort of special medical issue, bread can totally be a part of a healthy moderate diet. As long as you're not having like six slices daily at the risk of proper nutrition and feeling satisfied, I doubt it's causing any problems.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently bad. Are you eating at a deficit and hitting your macronutrient goals?
  • Charcharlottey
    Options
    I eat bread a lot and have lost over 30 pounds!

I would suggest not cutting out any food you enjoy. That just leads to restriction and that isn't fun. I would suggest maybe buying whole grain. More fiber than the bleached white bread. Tasty too.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't make you feel sludgey and slow or in any way ill, go for it. Your body will tell you if it doesn't approve ;-).
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    A slice of bread varies between 70 and 130 or so calories. So, multiply that by two and add whatever is on the sandwich.

No. Its not a big deal.

My recommendation is that if your going to eat it, get the good stuff. Wonder bread and those like it, while lighter on calories, are bread only in a conceptual sense. Spring for a nice artisan loaf of some sort, or better yet, make your own bread.

There are no-kneed methods where you don't really mix, or really even touch the dough much at all and you still wind up with fantastic bread. Also....VERY cheap to make bread. Literally dimes and nickels for a nice loaf.
  • ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options
    I don't eat bread, but Sara Lee has a 45 calorie version of their breads. It doesn't have HFCS and is lower in sugar in general. About 13g net carbs per 2 slices. Give it a shot.
  • Ryan6691
    Ryan6691 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of toast in the mornings with my breakfast. I'd suggest eat your bread earlier on in the day rather than later on.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No. Bread isn't bad at all. It is delicious and nutritious. Enjoy!
  • scode83
    scode83 Posts: 42
    Options
    Bread is bad for you and consuming a mere crumb will see you double in size and never recover.

Seriously though, it's fine, everything is fine. There's no such thing as bad food, just bad amounts. If if fits in with your diet, you like it and you have no health issues with it, have bread. I quite enjoy dipping a couple of slices in whisked egg, frying it in a skillet, pouring on the rest of the egg and then covering with a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Bread is wonderful! Especially hot from the oven. Oh, I have the urge to do something truly awful. I'm gonna be bad and post pictures of some of my breads -- the which I am not making right now because I can't keep from eating most of a loaf at one sitting!! Maybe seeing them here will remind me why I'm not letting myself make them right now while I get some self-control built up.

smoked salt & cheddar bread
    0abdcbef-8baf-4b6f-8081-b96681de483a_zps9ec34fe7.jpg

multigrain buttermilk rye
    827b31a9-edbb-4ab0-a7a0-f61a6728aae0_zps490b1693.jpg

marble rye with caraway (made in an oddly shaped pan)
    b4117014-39cc-493e-9927-7e9952242542_zps2d6b6d0d.jpg

basic French
    693f8429-f7e2-4e45-bac2-3d450d0b95f6_zpsb3c630ea.jpg
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I eat toast with my eggs almost every day and sandwiches for lunch all the time. Some bread will be miniscule in the grand scheme of your health/diet/fitness routine.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Depends. What is the expiration date?
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    NO. It's not. Carbs get a bad rap… but carbs are no more evil than fat or protein is. If you can fit it into your calorie goal and are getting your proper nutrients… there is absolutely nothing wrong with it (barring certain obvious medical conditions). Personally, I try to eat whole wheat bread as much as possible (it feels healthier to me) but if white is your preference… go for it.
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bad? That's for you to decide. Read "Grain Brain" by Dr. Pearlmutter.
  • WitchesGuildMaster
    Options
    I eat lots of bread within my calorie goal and still lose. So no, its not bad, unless you have a gluten intolerance. :flowerforyou:
  • Psychdoll74
    Options
    I honestly have no idea. All I know is that bread drives my hunger. So I avoid it.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Bad? That's for you to decide. Read "Grain Brain" by Dr. Pearlmutter.

Grain Brain is a thinly veiled repackaging of the Atkins Diet marketed to be a bestseller. It is in no way based on scientific fact and most of the population has no medical reason to avoid grains and carbohydrates.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Bread is wonderful! Especially hot from the oven. Oh, I have the urge to do something truly awful. I'm gonna be bad and post pictures of some of my breads -- the which I am not making right now because I can't keep from eating most of a loaf at one sitting!! Maybe seeing them here will remind me why I'm not letting myself make them right now while I get some self-control built up.

smoked salt & cheddar bread
    0abdcbef-8baf-4b6f-8081-b96681de483a_zps9ec34fe7.jpg

multigrain buttermilk rye
    827b31a9-edbb-4ab0-a7a0-f61a6728aae0_zps490b1693.jpg

marble rye with caraway (made in an oddly shaped pan)
    b4117014-39cc-493e-9927-7e9952242542_zps2d6b6d0d.jpg

basic French
    693f8429-f7e2-4e45-bac2-3d450d0b95f6_zpsb3c630ea.jpg

Those look amazing