Anyone taking 60mg fluoxetine prozac for eating disorders?

Options
Ive been prescribed fluoxetine 60mg for bulimia but I'm super nervous about the side effects. I was spaced out on 20mg Citalopram last year so I'm nervous about such a high dose!

I know everyone is different and reacts differently but just wanted to know if anyone started on this amount or takes it. What side effects have you had? Has it helped?

Sorry if this has been listed in the wrong section I didn't know where to put it!

Replies

• annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was on this medication for post natal depression. I didn't start on this dose straight away..my doctor gradually increased it to 60mg as I wasn't seeing any difference on the lower dosage.

I did feel slightly spaced out but not to the extent of being immobile. They recommend taking the medication before bed as it makes you very very sleepy! I was on it for almost 18 months and it worked amazingly...I don't take it anymore!

Good luck...
  • therealthurgasi
    therealthurgasi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi love!

I was on this medication (same dosage) a few years ago when I suffered from bulimia. I actually didn't have any negative side effects at all, and it really helped me in the long run.

Like you said, everyone is different and each person's body reacts differently, but it worked well for me. I'm sure it will for you, too! If you find yourself experiencing negative side effects, just tell your doctor and he'll switch up your medications.

Wishing you the best of luck! xo
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed this too and I'm also hesitant to take it. Has anyone lost weight using it because it stopped their bingeing?
  • porcelain_me
    Options
    Thank you! I'm gonna start it next week but I'm hoping for good things with it! I've also heard it helps you lose weight but I've heard that you gain weight on it too so I'm nervous about that aspect!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ive been prescribed fluoxetine 60mg for bulimia but I'm super nervous about the side effects. I was spaced out on 20mg Citalopram last year so I'm nervous about such a high dose!

I know everyone is different and reacts differently but just wanted to know if anyone started on this amount or takes it. What side effects have you had? Has it helped?

Sorry if this has been listed in the wrong section I didn't know where to put it!

Just so you know, you cannot compare the dosage amounts. They are two different medications so it is like comparing apples to bananas. Fuoxetine is (most of the time) weight neutral, meaning it is not supposed to make people gain weight.