Gallbladder removal - set back?

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this. I just found out yesterday that I need to have my gallbladder removed (probably within the next couple of weeks). I am really bummed about this as I just started getting back into losing weight after a 4 month hiatus. I of course had a 5k scheduled for the 3rd week in July which I will now not be able to run. I am just bummed. This feels like yet another set back. There is the worry of "Am I going to lose the weight after the surgery?" "Will I gain weight after the surgery?" "I hope I find the courage to get back on this weight loss journey of mine." "What kind of dietary changes will I have to make?" I know this all sounds silly, but this really has me down. So, what I am reaching for from the community is:

-Have you had your gallbladder removed?
-If so, how did this effect your weight loss efforts?
-How did your eating habits change?
-Any words of encouragement to help get me through this?

Replies

• random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Yes.

I was a healthy weight at the time, but I will say I didn't put on weight after the surgery. Well, not immediately. That came years later and was unrelated.

I don't handle really high fat food anymore. We're talking about things like fried cheese. I can live. Happily even.

I'm guessing it's going to be laparoscopic? You're not much older than I was when I had it done, and my recovery went really smoothly. I got out of the hospital the next day. I wasn't up and running the next day, but I don't remember it putting me out of commission for too long. I had gallstones and was having gallbladder attacks. Very unpleasant. I'm not sure why you're getting yours out, but I have to say I'm a much happier girl without the yuckiness of the attacks.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out a couple years ago. I wasn't on a weightloss journey then, so I don't know how it may have affected that. It did not, however, have an impact on my weight one way or the other at the time, so I don't see that it would be much of a factor in your progress aside from needing to take it easy on exercise for a bit.

Post removal diet will vary for each individual. Losing my gallbladder had no effect on what I can or cannot tolerate to eat and so my habits didn't change at all at that time., but I know others who have had to make dietary changes. I don't know anyone who had to make changes that would negatively affect a healthy diet, though.
  • janda060708
    janda060708 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It will be laproscopic. It's being removed because of gall stones and daily attacks (everything sets it off - even fruit). I was told to eat a low/no fat diet until the surgery to lessen the attacks. I have read the same - some people can eat whatever and others have to be extremely careful.
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, almost 7 years ago, laproscopic surgery

I don't think it did at all. I had my daughter in May 2007, had my gall bladder out in Dec 2007 and by August 2008 I was down 60 pounds from my pre-pregnancy/post-postpartum weight-probably at least 35 or 40 pounds was after I had the surgery. I don't think the gall bladder had any effect on any of it.

They didn't really. I still pretty much eat whatever I want. The first time I ever noticed an issue was about two years ago when I was on a trip and ate A LOT of greasy food (like deep fried appetizers and a ton of deep fried bread) all within a 24 hour period. Made me a little sick to my stomach. Since then I have noticed that if I eat an extreme amount of grease I have some problems, but it typically has to be a huge amount to bother me. Normal every day basis though, I don't even think about it.

Everyone is different, but in all honesty, I really don't even think about it and it hasn't had any impact on me. I had my surgery on a Friday morning and was out of the hospital by Friday about 5:30. My husband and I went to costco to pick up my prescriptions and walked around doing shopping. Monday morning I was back at work (desk job-if I had a really physical job I probably would have been told to take a day or maybe two off). The recovery was not bad at all for me. I hope you have the same type of experience.
  • mefitforlife9
    mefitforlife9 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in Jan. I was actually very sick because of it, and was loosing a pound a day... way too fast. (also had other health issues, bleeding ulcer etc). I was in the hosp for 2 days, told to not do too much exercise for 2 weeks, then no restrictions at all. I'm in my 50's so I'm guessing you will recoup faster.

The best part for me is now I can eat salads and fresh veggies every day and not have to worry about triggering an attack!! A real bonus as fresh veggies and salads were the worst triggers for me for attacks. For years I used that as a reason not to continue a weightloss program, "can't, I'll get sick!" how silly. I have been on this for 2 years now, down 84 lbs and have the same motivation as I did at the very beginning if not more.

Hope your procedure goes smoothly and your recovery is quick. Stay away from high fat foods!!!
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to get mine out. I started trying to loose weight a few months ago, but haven't stuck with it the last couple of months, and now this. I am already sensitive to fatty/fried foods, so I am a little worried about how my body is going to react. I am hoping it will help me get back on track. I NEED to get this weight off. :(
  • kmomof3
    kmomof3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Just had it removed in March.

I lost some weight afterwards but so far hasn't seemed to affect my ability to continue to lose weight.

Some foods don't agree with me, definitely nothing high in fat, fried or greasy. It can be a guessing game sometimes on what will agree or not with my stomach. I'd say the first few weeks were the hardest because I felt like everything didn't agree. I started on a probiotic after I was discharged from the hospital. I had semi-emergency removal (ended up in the ER on a Sunday afternoon and was put on the surgery schedule immediately for removal).

Be patient with your body and don't get discouraged, takes a few weeks to get back to normal as far as eating goes. Your stomach will be sore for the first few days after surgery but it gets better each day.
  • Billie09
    Billie09 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I have managed to lose weight and now I am due to have my gallbladder out in the next three weeks and due to run a 10k on 27th July. I am waiting for my date and hoping it is after the race. Since my consultation last month I have lost around 10lb on a medically restricted diet and I have used the time to work on my head space so when I come home from surgery I can pick up where I left off.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Me. Had my gallbladder out laproscopcially in December. I have no dietary issues although I've heard high fat greasy foods can be problematic. In and out of the hospital the same day, back rowing (light effort) after 6 weeks.

In short--didn't affect my weight.
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had mine out. Recovery wasn't bad, but just listen to your body and doctor and be patient with yourself. Also your body will let you know your fat tolerance after surgery. You may want to introduce questionable foods at home vs a restaurant. :) hopefully that was a nice way to put that LOL. Best wishes, you can still meet your goals just keep pressing forward!
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed four years ago. I was a healthy weight when I lost it, but I lost a lot of weight while waiting for the surgery because I couldn't eat or drink anything without getting sick. By the time I had the surgery, a week after I went to the ER, I had lost a lot of weight. I was in the 120 range before, and after i was in the teens- not sure of the exact measurement since I was so weak. After, I ate small portions and tried not to get much fat, but I've noticed that I can pretty much eat whatever I want. After the gallbladder surgery my weight has fluctuated but that didn't have anything to do with the surgery but rather my lifestyle.
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear so many positive responses as I am scheduled to have my gallbladder out later this year. it feels good to be getting closer to a healthy weight, so surgery will be less risky. . I do fret a little at the thought of backsliding with my fitness and strength, but it's a small price to pay for the knowledge that the attacks will be a thing of the past. :-)
  • Curvygoth
    Curvygoth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 22, young and thin - I didn't have much choice though as it was discovered when one of the stones got lodged and I collapsed at work. It was done via a laprascope and I was back at work within a week.

I've not noticed any foods that I cant eat as a result of its removal

I take omeprazole every day - a proton pump inhibitor - to reduce my acid production (I just produce way too much and also have had stomach ulcers) - it is the drug that has had the side effects of weight gain rather than the loss of the gall bladder.

Weejo - we really are twins!!!

Good luck
  • DisneyBecca
    Options
    Yes, I had mine removed in March at 28 years old. Mine was an emergency surgery after I suddenly became ill and was in intense pain (as bad as labor). My gallbladder was dead and the inside was completely gangrene. It was very close to rupturing.

In the long run, it has not effect my weight loss efforts at all. Before my surgery, I had lost 33 pounds in 3.5 months. Now, about 4 months later (including the month I took off after the surgery), I have lost an addition 21 pounds, for a total loss of 54 pounds.

In the short term, I had to take a break from my diet for a month to allow myself to heal. I ate "normally" for a month following the surgery and maintained my weight loss with no problems. For 2 weeks after surgery, I was not allowed to exercise or lift anything. Abdominal exercises were not allowed until 6 weeks after surgery.

They haven´t changed at all. I can still eat whatever I want with no problems.

My gallbladder was removed laparoscopically. However, due to the severity of my situation (I had an infection from my body trying to fight my dying gallbladder and my liver was inflamed), I had to stay in the hospital for four days on iv antibiotics with a drain tube in my abdomen. That drain tube was by far the worst part of the experience.

I tell you this because having a drain is NOT the norm and it is highly unlikely that you will need one. Once my drain was removed, I rapidly started feeling better. I felt completely back to normal about a week and a half after surgery. If my surgery was more "routine" and I had not needed the drain, I am sure that I would have reached that point much sooner - within a few days.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Me. Had my gallbladder out laproscopcially in December. I have no dietary issues although I've heard high fat greasy foods can be problematic. In and out of the hospital the same day, back rowing (light effort) after 6 weeks.

In short--didn't affect my weight.

this was me a few years ago. i got a cool little scar on my tummy but it's small. it really didn't affect me besides the recovery time
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with eating, short recovery. My weight loss hasn't changed