target heart rate

samrockrocks
samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone know what my target heart rates would be for weight loss and cardio? I am a 22 year old at 5'7'' and about 150 pounds. I'm on steroids for my asthma so I know that increasing my heart rate. My resting heart rate is usually about 85-90!

I just got the Polar FS3 and it says my high THR is 168 and my low is 129. 168 just seems too high for me??

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• My resting is 80-90 too! I'm a little heavier than you right now, but even when I was your weight this summer my resting stayed the same. When I run (training for my first marathon) my HR goes up as high as the 190s, I know that's not good, but I've been told by a marathoning friend (he's ran 19!) that into the low 180s is ok, but that I should keep that as my max and shoot for something in the 170s for training. I hope that helps make you feel better.
  • forbessw
    forbessw Posts: 15 Member
    I think 168 bpm would be very close.
    When I ran your numbers I got 156-166. That would be 65%-75% of your max heartrate of 192.
    You'll burn more calories at a higher heartrate of course.
  • samrockrocks
    My resting is 80-90 too! I'm a little heavier than you right now, but even when I was your weight this summer my resting stayed the same. When I run (training for my first marathon) my HR goes up as high as the 190s, I know that's not good, but I've been told by a marathoning friend (he's ran 19!) that into the low 180s is ok, but that I should keep that as my max and shoot for something in the 170s for training. I hope that helps make you feel better.

my heart rate shoots up, too! and this does help, thank you!
  • samrockrocks
    I think 168 bpm would be very close.
    When I ran your numbers I got 156-166. That would be 65%-75% of your max heartrate of 192.
    You'll burn more calories at a higher heartrate of course.

thank you! that makes me feel better :)
This discussion has been closed.