Do potatoes provide a complete protein?

Options
Do potatoes provide a complete protein? I am finding conflicting information. If we can get all our protein and calcium through plant-based whole-foods then it might be better to consume vegetables instead of meat, dairy, and cheese. Any thoughts?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, while very nutritious, are not complete proteins. I found a list on this site:

http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins
  • jackr88
    jackr88 Posts: 13
    Options
    They're very close. Slightly low in leucine, but other than that, they're an excellent source of protein.

This is pretty accurate: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2551/2
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have been experimenting with being vegetarian for the last 3 and a half weeks and find no problem getting my protein. I don't think in my research I have ever seen potatoes on any "protein" list but they are very good for you.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think the rule is you combine a starch and a grain to get a complete protein from plants- rice and beans, potatoes and corn, etc. Corn tortillas and beans for instance, make a complete protein and are also awesome together <3
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think combining vegetables/legumes makes a lot of sense. The debate over protein and calcium in meat versus vegetables loses concern when meals include some varieties of starch, beans, leafy vegetables and fruit. Protein, vitamins and minerals should be amble with some basic variety. I am concerned about nuts due to the high fat content, however.

I am still wondering if meat/eggs satiates my appetite better than other sources.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As above there is a list in reality as long as you eat a variety of Beans and vegetables and grains you will get sufficient proteins and complete protein as well. The thing is the only way you wont get the correct amino acids is if you just eat one source and in reality no one eats like that unless you're on the cabbage soup diet and if you're eating that Protein is the least of your problems. I've never had any problem obtaining protein as 15 years as Vegan and a Vegetarian before that. There is just so much needless Protein Panic around most if it caused by those people trying to sell us Protein bars and other supplements.

Whether you eat Animal Products or a Plant based diet just eat a variety of foods and you'll have no problems
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They're very close. Slightly low in leucine, but other than that, they're an excellent source of protein.

Lol- you're cute.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    eating a diet rich in whole plant foods will give you "complete proteins" but the whole food combining thing was debunked a long time ago. It wasn't even a real thing, to begin with, just a theory suggested by an anthropologist that we silly Americans clung to like it was gospel.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk/vegetarian-starter-kit-protein

from there this "As long as one is eating a variety of plant foods in sufficient quantity to maintain one’s weight, the body gets plenty of protein."
    and this 'It was once thought that various plant foods had to be eaten together to get their full protein value, but current research suggests this is not the case. Many nutrition authorities, including the American Dietetic Association, believe protein needs can easily be met by consuming a variety of plant protein sources over an entire day. To get the best benefit from the protein you consume, it is important to eat enough calories to meet your energy needs."

in summary, eat lots of healthy whole foods and don't worry about it.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think that quinoa is the only plant based complete protein, but potatoes do have protein but are not complete.

Here is a good article on plant proteins which may help https://www.vegsoc.org/protein
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Potatoes actually have an excellent protein makeup, but the the amount is pretty small. You would need close to 800 grams to get 20 protein ingesting close to 170 grams of carbs in the process.

In 100 grams of potatoes you have

Protein 2.5g
    Tryptophan 39.0 mg
    Threonine 91.0 mg
    Isoleucine 101 mg
    Leucine 150 mg
    Lysine 152 mg
    Methionine 39.0 mg
    Cystine 31.0 mg
    Phenylalanine 111 mg
    Tyrosine 92.0 mg
    Valine 141 mg