1 yr diet/exercise w/ NO results (females & birth control)

Options
I have been struggling to lose 10-15lbs over the past year of steady exercise and dieting. I am completely at loss and baffled at the fact that my body has made absolutely no change. I workout/go to the gym min of 3/week. I have been eating very clean and mindful of what I eat for the past year. Recently I made the drastic change of cutting out all meat products, dairy and processed foods and there has been no change. I am a 31 year old female and becoming increasingly depressed over this situation. I have had my thyroid tested and it is normal. I now think that perhaps it is my birth control that is preventing me from losing the weight. I figured this because I initially gained 20lbs when I started taking tri-cyclen about 3 years ago and I have read and heard of some women experiencing difficulty losing weight while on the pill. Therefore I am thinking of coming off the pill to see if this is actually what is stalling my weight loss. Everyone around me is at loss for advice, I am doing everything right. I eat healthier than 90% of the people around me, I am very active. I am getting married in 3 months and time is running out and the urgency to lose weight is increasing. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and the reason was their birth control? I am terrified of the side effects of coming off (especially skin breaking out right in time for my wedding, no thanks) but if it will finally allow the weight to come off I am willing to deal with it. Help please!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can you open your food diary? Do you use a food scale? What is your height weight age, workout routine and do you have any medical condition.

Cutting meat and dairy out won't do anything for weight loss. If anything, it makes it a little harder to achieve protein goals. Also, you look fairly lean, so you may not be able to lose that much weight. You may have to work on body composition.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're struggling with the last few pounds. What's your average daily deficit? Do you know your TDEE and BMR? How many calories do you estimate you burn thru exercise each day?

If these are new questions to you, then I recommend reading some of the sticky links on the top of this forum. This is one I like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If these questions don't apply to you, then I suggest looking at your logging to make sure you're honest and as accurate as possible. Like, are you weighing food with a digital scale?
  • kelseylyates
    kelseylyates Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can you open your food diary? Do you use a food scale? What is your height weight age, workout routine and do you have any medical condition.

Cutting meat and dairy out won't do anything for weight loss. If anything, it makes it a little harder to achieve protein goals. Also, you look fairly lean, so you may not be able to lose that much weight. You may have to work on body composition.

I don't use a food scale but I would say I average between 1200-1500 calories per day. I am 31 years old, 5'5" and am stuck at 140lbs, I would like to be at 125-130lbs which is what I have been most of my young adult life and what I am most comfortable at. I don't have any medical conditions. I gained 20lbs over 3 years and this past year I have been actively trying to lose it to no avail.

My workout routine consists of a mixture of cardio and weight training. I wear a heart rate monitor and burn anywhere between 450-700 calories per session.

I may consider reintroducing fish and seafood to my diet for protein but I am highly lactose intolerant so I don't see myself eating that anytime soon.

I honestly think there is something hormonal causing me to resist weight loss, I know my body and I know the time and effort I have been putting into this. If anything I eat healthier and cleaner than I did 20lbs ago. I have not been consistent at logging my calories but I will test it out for the next few days to see how I fare.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

I don't use a food scale but I would say I average between 1200-1500 calories per day. .

My workout routine consists of a mixture of cardio and weight training. I wear a heart rate monitor and burn anywhere between 450-700 calories per session.

Here are your problems--you're not measuring, so you're underestimating how much you eat. And even with your heart rate monitor, you may be overestimating how many calories you're burning.

Get a food scale and start weighing what you eat. I guarantee you're going to be surprised.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't use a food scale but I would say I average between 1200-1500 calories per day. I am 31 years old, 5'5" and am stuck at 140lbs, I would like to be at 125-130lbs which is what I have been most of my young adult life and what I am most comfortable at. I don't have any medical conditions. I gained 20lbs over 3 years and this past year I have been actively trying to lose it to no avail.

I may consider reintroducing fish and seafood to my diet for protein but I am highly lactose intolerant so I don't see myself eating that anytime soon.

I honestly think there is something hormonal causing me to resist weight loss, I know my body and I know the time and effort I have been putting into this. If anything I eat healthier and cleaner than I did 20lbs ago. I have not been consistent at logging my calories but I will test it out for the next few days to see how I fare.

Might want to start using a food scale. Chances are you might be consuming more than you think.

HRM's are not good for tracking calories burned outside of steady state cardio. If you are wearing your HRM through weight training, than your calorie burn is probably off.

Just because you are eating healthier than before, doesn't mean you are eating at a deficit. Eating healthy doesn't automatically = weight loss, you still have to be in a deficit. Which brings us back to the food scale and making sure your portion sizes are accurate.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I have not been consistent at logging my calories but I will test it out for the next few days to see how I fare.

This has been the main problem for most people who struggle with weight loss. It is very difficult to eyeball calories in food, especially when you eat out or consume food other people prepared. I suggest you buy a food scale and track as accurately as possible. This will give you the best chance of dropping the weight before your wedding. Secondly, check the insert of your birth control to see if weight gain is a side effect. If so then have your doctor refer you to a qualified dietitian to help you create a weight loss plan that works with your pills.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You have found your maintenance calories. Drop your calories by 50-100 lower per day and you'll see some change. However, you should only be aiming to lost .5 lbs per week, so the lbs aren't really going to fall off all at once. It is very likely that you are eating more calories that you realize. It's very unlikely that your maintenance calories are 1,200-1,500. That or you're eating back too many exercise calories. Weight training does not burn very much at all.

You can eat 'clean' or vegan or paleo or high GI or any other number of diets and combinations of "eat this but not this" and still maintain/gain weight. Some days I eat completely raw vegan because it's what I'm craving and you know what- I still have to weigh my food because you would not believe how small 1 serving of walnuts is. It's barely a handful, 200 calories. Ooof.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Therefore I am thinking of coming off the pill to see if this is actually what is stalling my weight loss.

Um. You are going to open the door to gain weight if you get pregnant. I would suggest staying on the pill, get a food scale and start logging accurately for a significant period of time.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Women have different experiences in regards to birth control. Perhaps I am an exception, but I have never really had any weight changes from it. I thought I did for some time, but the truth is, with a good calorie deficit, I will lose weight - birth control or not.

Like the others say, I think you have to get a food scale and measure everything accurately. Even healthy foods can be very calorie-dense.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I don't use a food scale

this is the issue, not the pill.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Please read me...:blushing:

I am 32 taking birth control Lo lo estrin fe - (yes two LO LO) it has less hormones in it to reduce common side effects. From my experience and this is just my own, it takes about 3-6 mths for the side effects to go away - mine were breakout spotting for 1-2 weeks. The other side was i got acne when I came OFF it, and had to see a dermatologist. On the up side No period (1 day spot) No pms, no cramps, no moodiness. :love:

As far as weight loss I was 178 , before MFP & 5'8.5 height I struggled for 2 yrs to lose weight and now that Im down to 158 I have to say it was NOT the birth control it was STRESS , I too had my thyroid checked out it was normal. but the biggest STRESS in my life was my Job. Not everyone is in a situation where they can just up and quit but my health comes first and so I did started a new job that was probably even more stressful plus a longer commute, had just moved to a new place and had a miscarriage.

Then the other STRESS was working out TOO much, I was going way over my Heart RATE range for my age, just because I thought it was OK to be Panting, dizzy, out of breathe, but for my lifestyle - Sedentary - I should of started working on my endurance and work my way up, as a result I was releasing the STRESS hormone Cortisol(check spelling) which was preventing me from losing weight. :sad:

I lost 20 lbs, it took 1.5yrs to lose just 7lbs, but once I changed those factors I manage to lose 13lbs just in the last 3 mths. Average calories 1200 - 1400. Last year I could not get below 1600, since I reduced starch its been easier.

I use to be a VEGETARIAN, I have since STOPPED, I was doing more damage since I was OVERcompensating with Soy, Fake meat (GLuten), Tofu (still processed), Starch, rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc Your body NEEDS PROTEIN , its the Quality of the food thats important(Local and/or organic)....even more when trying to lose weight if you cut out the MEAT how have you replaced your recommended daily amount????

I am not a big MEAT eater but I love Salmon, eggs, greek yogurt, high protein hemp , Nut butters , and Seeds. I REDUCED STARCH, not carbs, Vegetables, fruit, grains, nuts and seeds are Good carbs. I did this mainly because I feel I have a gluten intolerance, but since you already cut processed food this may not be your main concern.

Hope you find some help in this really long post, but I am very passionate about this and I have struggled from stress related weight issues most of my adult life and I think I finally found something that works for me.

So evaluate your PROTEIN, STRESS, Environmental Factors, Target Heart Rate. Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • kelseylyates
    kelseylyates Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Please read me...:blushing:

I am 32 taking birth control Lo lo estrin fe - (yes two LO LO) it has less hormones in it to reduce common side effects. From my experience and this is just my own, it takes about 3-6 mths for the side effects to go away - mine were breakout spotting for 1-2 weeks. The other side was i got acne when I came OFF it, and had to see a dermatologist. On the up side No period (1 day spot) No pms, no cramps, no moodiness. :love:

As far as weight loss I was 178 , before MFP & 5'8.5 height I struggled for 2 yrs to lose weight and now that Im down to 158 I have to say it was NOT the birth control it was STRESS , I too had my thyroid checked out it was normal. but the biggest STRESS in my life was my Job. Not everyone is in a situation where they can just up and quit but my health comes first and so I did started a new job that was probably even more stressful plus a longer commute, had just moved to a new place and had a miscarriage.

Then the other STRESS was working out TOO much, I was going way over my Heart RATE range for my age, just because I thought it was OK to be Panting, dizzy, out of breathe, but for my lifestyle - Sedentary - I should of started working on my endurance and work my way up, as a result I was releasing the STRESS hormone Cortisol(check spelling) which was preventing me from losing weight. :sad:

I lost 20 lbs, it took 1.5yrs to lose just 7lbs, but once I changed those factors I manage to lose 13lbs just in the last 3 mths. Average calories 1200 - 1400. Last year I could not get below 1600, since I reduced starch its been easier.

I use to be a VEGETARIAN, I have since STOPPED, I was doing more damage since I was OVERcompensating with Soy, Fake meat (GLuten), Tofu (still processed), Starch, rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc Your body NEEDS PROTEIN , its the Quality of the food thats important(Local and/or organic)....even more when trying to lose weight if you cut out the MEAT how have you replaced your recommended daily amount????

I am not a big MEAT eater but I love Salmon, eggs, greek yogurt, high protein hemp , Nut butters , and Seeds. I REDUCED STARCH, not carbs, Vegetables, fruit, grains, nuts and seeds are Good carbs. I did this mainly because I feel I have a gluten intolerance, but since you already cut processed food this may not be your main concern.

Hope you find some help in this really long post, but I am very passionate about this and I have struggled from stress related weight issues most of my adult life and I think I finally found something that works for me.

So evaluate your PROTEIN, STRESS, Environmental Factors, Target Heart Rate. Good Luck:flowerforyou:

Thank you for this, I never really considered stress a factor and I also have a very stressful job that I started 3 years ago coincidentally when I started gaining all the weight so that would definitely make sense. I'll have to seriously consider ways to reduce it.

As far as protein, I have only recently cut out meat/eggs (past month) to try and see if it would make a difference. I eat a lot of beans, chickpeas, I put a scoop of Garden of Life Raw Protein meal in my smoothie every morning. I do consume tofu here and there but I try to stay away from the 'fake meats' as much as possible. I don't eat very many starches and never really have. I feel A LOT better health/energy-wise from eating like this but I could see that I might lack protein down the road and will most likely reintroduce fish/seafood into my diet.

It could be multiple things like you say, and as other people say I may be over consuming food and need to use a food scale (who seriously has time for that??) I guess the main thing is to not give up and keep trying! Every person's body has a different formula and I still haven't quite figured mine out. Women's bodies are such complicated things...:explode:
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you think using a food scale is too time consuming, nothing else I say will make any difference at all.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It could be multiple things like you say, and as other people say I may be over consuming food and need to use a food scale (who seriously has time for that??) I guess the main thing is to not give up and keep trying! Every person's body has a different formula and I still haven't quite figured mine out. Women's bodies are such complicated things...:explode:

It's only complicated if you make it complicated. You freely admit you don't weigh your food or log accurately (can't see the point of using a food diary if you're just eyeballing) but you think the least complicated thing would be to come off the pill??
    There are thousands f us here who find the 30 seconds per meal it takes to weigh our food, it's not difficult :flowerforyou:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I initially gained 20lbs when I started taking tri-cyclen about 3 years ago and I have read and heard of some women experiencing difficulty losing weight while on the pill. Therefore I am thinking of coming off the pill to see if this is actually what is stalling my weight loss. Everyone around me is at loss for advice, I am doing everything right. I eat healthier than 90% of the people around me, I am very active. I am getting married in 3 months and time is running out and the urgency to lose weight is increasing. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this and the reason was their birth control? I am terrified of the side effects of coming off (especially skin breaking out right in time for my wedding, no thanks) but if it will finally allow the weight to come off I am willing to deal with it. Help please!

No. You're eating more than you think you are.
    Weigh and measure everything and maybe drop your calorie intake by 100-200, and see if it starts moving again.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Therefore I am thinking of coming off the pill to see if this is actually what is stalling my weight loss.

Um. You are going to open the door to gain weight if you get pregnant. I would suggest staying on the pill, get a food scale and start logging accurately for a significant period of time.

Uh yeah, definitely this.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks to hear it but there is no pill that makes people gain weight regardless of what they eat or we would just send that, rather than bags of food, to impoverished nations. When I started MFP I was eyeballing 1700 calories of clean food that turned out to be 2300 calories once I got a food scale and started measuring all the fruits and berries. It take an extra few seconds to weigh my food but I no longer have to struggle with losing weight so there are some perks to the process.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you think using a food scale is too time consuming, nothing else I say will make any difference at all.

this
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

This is sorta how I feel now after reading her response. It takes me a lot more time to look up and log my food or build a recipe than it does to just weigh it. If you're eyeballing and logging, you'll find that it really doesn't take much more time to weigh it and actually be accurate about your logging.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale is /not/ time consuming. It's very easy to put my plate/bowl/food container on a zero-ed scale and put my food in. I make a list on my phone of my food item and the ounces or grams and log it. It'll seem silly the first 2-3 months maybe, but after that it becomes a reflex.

It even helps with the simpler things.. like a glass of milk and actual 8oz of milk are often very different sizes.

I've maintained 127lbs for 2 years thanks to my food scale. :heart:
    Also, maybe switching to a different pill might help... I've been on BC for about 6 years now and it never made me gain weight (food made me gain weight).