22 years old...looking to change my life!

Options
Hey everyone

I don't really know what to put here. And I guess I'm not really sure where to start lol. But I'm beginning my lifestyle change today and I'm terrified and excited all at the same time. I don't know what to expect. Any tips, tricks and motivation would be so appreciated :)

Here goes nothing!

Replies

• Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hi! nice to meet you :) I This is a great site filled with a lot of good info :) Make sure you start weighing and logging your food. That is the most important things first :) . I am sure you will do great :) Above all when you fall get back up. You just have to keep moving forward and you will get to where you want to be :). Best of luck on your journey :)
  • LaurenVee3
    Options
    Thank you so much! It's so overwhelming right now, so your tips will really help. One foot in front of the other :)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Definitely spend some time reading the forums. They is incredible amount of info. Plus a lot of good people happy to support you. Good luck on your journey...
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren, I started 54 days ago at 227lbs. I'm now down to 213, with an interim goal of 196, and eventually want to hit 140 (in the far distant future!). I don't believe in diets and I don't want to give my money to anyone (like Weightwatchers!) and this is the only time in my life that I have ever lost weight without being deathly ill at the time.

The way that I use MFP is:
    My life hasn't changed - I still go out for dinner and snack and veg in front of the telly.
    I eat what I want, but I am far more aware of what I'm putting in. I try and make things work within my day or weekend, and if I do go over I'm annoyed about it but I don't beat myself up too much - on the week I didn't lose, I had gone over almost every day and I still maintained, so it's okay :)
    I try and exercise regularly but even if I can't do things during the week (work makes it hard) I try and get in half an hour of walking for my daily 'bit'. I can't and don't want to go wild exercising constantly.
    I pay attention to my calorie goal (for me this is 1400, I don't know what it is for you but I wouldn't go any lower than this as I would find it too hard, plus 1200 is too close to not being enough for a woman for me).
    When I exercise, I eat back half my exercise calories as calculated on MFP (because people on here often say it calculates over the amount you'll burn - and it's true, everyone's different and MFP can't tell how much or little effort you put in - so I never eat them fully back unless I'm going wildly over.
    I use the forums - they are great for information, for asking questions, and for finding new friends. And you should definitely try and find some - ask people to add you! They're a brilliant source of motivation and support and it's great to have people to talk about weight with who aren't your 'real life' friends.

I think that's all for now - good luck!
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Add friends on here!! I used to use other fitness trackers but got unmotivated after a period of time. Having the accountability of MFP buddies really keeps me going strong. I actually look forward to logging on :-)

Feel free to add me :-) We are close in age and with similar goals.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    @pensierobello - Completely agree with everything you said. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • mgorm13
    mgorm13 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. MFP definitely sheds a new light on what you are putting into your body. Have to remember not to beat yourself up over a bad day, it is a journey, a lifestyle change and will take time. I personally haven't used the support here, but i'm sure it is wonderful. I run accountibilty groups on FB. If you are interested let me know. mafitness@yahoo.com would love to get to know you better and what your goals are.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    im 22 also and started my lifestyle change 3 weeks ago. my sister has been exercising for about 5 months now so im using her to help me stay motivated we go to the gym together. if i had any tips i would say don't weigh yourself for at least the first month if your working out hard you'll feel it. and your muscles and body retains allot of water when you start out. so 3 weeks in i way the same as when i started because the scale when up then back down. but i feel better and know that it will start to come off. ive been doing cardio about 30 min weight training about 30 min. i never done the weight training before because i felt silly, not really knowing what i was doing but you get use to it.