Slippery hands on deadlifts

Options
Jen800
Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
Hey guys (and girls!),

I was wondering if anybody had any tips regarding a slippery grip on the bar during deadlifts (and other lifts for that matter).

I know a lot of people say to use chalk, but the dust from it really irritates my nose and I have a weird issue with feeling it on my hands :tongue: :laugh:

I've heard of wrapping or gloves too, but I'm not sure what people really think about these methods (I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about them)

Anyway, thanks!

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Eco chalk. You can get it at any decent outdoor supply store, or order it online. It doesn't have anywhere near the residue effect of a typical magnesium gym chalk.

Do grip strengthening exercises, such as kettlebell cleans from the hang position, plate pinches, high-rep dumbbell rows, etc.

Squeeze the bejeezers out of the bar, even on warmups. Seriously. Put a dent in it.

Do a mixed grip (one hand forward, one hand back).

I used to use gloves, but I don't like them. They interfered with grip strength for me. Plus it's just another layer to slide around when what I'm really looking for is increased stability.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    You can use gloves or I use these things which have a wrist support and then a leather pad that goes on the palms of your hands rather than being a full glove. Quite good and have the option to use them or not without having to take them off.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Liquid chalk and grip strength related exercises.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

^This
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I have small hands so I can totally relate to this problem!

I do a mixed grip on deadlifts heaver than 95#.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Liquid chalk gets my vote. My hands get very sweaty without it.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use wraps, when I do dead lifts I am not there to work my grip I am there to work my back, glutes, hams, core, etc. I am not interested in a lesser workout due to grip strength.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Mixed grip and just resetting in between helps me. I'm not a fan of gloves or straps although straps really do help, but I prefer hand to metal.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I found that a split grip was the best thing, much better than straps and gloves etc I also bought a Gripmaster and did forearm curls and farmers walks to strengthen my grip. I now use chalk which is really helpful, it makes my hands feel really dry after so I just use hand cream.. Try not to do anything that will weaken your grip or prevent it getting stronger, you need a strong grip to progress. Good luck!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't rub butter on my hands before.

(Mixed grip and tape on the bar)
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If I'm at a gym that doesn't let me use chalk I'll use my Liquid Grip instead. It's a little stinky but it works great!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I use padded straps, and they make a huge difference. Perhaps I need to do hand strengthening exercises, but for now, I wouldn't be able to do some lifts without them. (They basically make it so you can focus on what you're actually working on rather than your hands.)

http://harbingerfitness.com/product/21300/
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I use wraps, when I do dead lifts I am not there to work my grip I am there to work my back, glutes, hams, core, etc. I am not interested in a lesser workout due to grip strength.

^ What he said.

I wear gloves for most lifts because going without them tears up my hands and is pretty painful. Plenty of ladies that lift will say they're proud of their calloused hands and that's cool, but I'd prefer to not hiss in pain when water hits my hands in the shower after a workout session. I use straps only with my really heavy deadlifts (at this point it's anything over 145 lbs, which is 'really heavy' for this pipsqueak). I don't see much of a downside and if it keeps the bar from slipping out of my hands (which are not slippery/wet, but I still have the issue), I'm solid. Liquid chalk would also work, but I haven't tried it personally.

I do try to work on my grip strength, but it's not a huge focus of mine considering I only have the issue on one lift and I've found a way around it.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'd really just go with straps mate they do help! if you're against it though you could always do some deadlift assistance exercises, Dumbell rows etc...
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Order Dry Hands by Nelson Products. I learned about it when I was working out via pole dancing and it has come in handy on many, many occasions. Cheap, too!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Everyone who says they are not there to work on their grip always cracks me up. That's like saying, "I use a belt when I squat for the reason that I don't want to work on maintaining proper abdominal pressure. Also, I don't want to work on my core. I just want to work on my butt and have magical things happen."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this.

pinch plates and I found (surprisingly) stiff leg deads really made a huge difference on my grip- I was doing 1 x 15 for a 6 week program- and when i came off the program- I'd added almost 70 pounds to my double over hand capabilities.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Theres a product called FAT GRIPS

Basically harden rubger that fits around any bar bell, dumbbell, really makes it harder, and will strenghten your grip for the bigger lifts
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everyone who says they are not there to work on their grip always cracks me up. That's like saying, "I use a belt when I squat for the reason that I don't want to work on maintaining proper abdominal pressure. Also, I don't want to work on my core. I just want to work on my butt and have magical things happen."

That's not the same thing at all. I use straps too. I couldn't care less how strong my grip is. I don't plan on any rock climbing or becoming the next American Ninja Warrior. I do care about 345 lb deadlifts. My grip gives out well before my back does. Having stronger fingers and forearms in no way actually impacts my back, traps, legs. I strap up and can focus more on form than the pain in my forearms.