Is crossfit worth it?

Options

Replies

• kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Couple of things:

Weight loss is more dependent on your calories in/out than actual exercise regimen.

Crossfit idea is great. Training from "boxes" differ immensely. Shoulder injury rates are about 25% from Crossfit according to a report from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning. That's higher than Olympic and powerlifting competitors (who move much higher amounts of weight).

If you're inexperienced in weight training, it's probably NOT a good idea to join Crossfit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Seriously? No.
    I had never picked up a bar before joining crossfit and never once got injured. Saying that newbies to lifting shouldn't join crossfit is ridiculous.
    There is a huge difference in trying to learn good form in an unconditioned body with OLYMPIC style lifting vs building a foundation first (basic squat, shoulder presses, deadlifts) and then transitioning to Olympic lifting.
    You're the "special" person that may have excelled at it. Injury statistics for new Crossfitters (as well as seasoned lifters who joined) is at about 27% according to a study from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning.
    I'm NOT against free weight training or Olympic style lifting. The OP is inexperienced in lifting at all. There are better approaches for her to learn correct lifting technique and form rather than to jump into HIIT Crossfit training.

IDEA Fitness member

Are you familiar with how CrossFit does their training?

Do you know how the techniques are taught?
    Yes. In fact, I have two good friends who are actual instructors at the Crossfit near my gym. They were both competitive Olympic lifters (I believe one still is and she's pretty good) before opening their box.
    Going in and doing a workout, I obviously did fine, until it came to pullups. I refused to do a "kip" pullup. And won't ever do one.
    Anyway, I don't believe that there is a "standard" protocol on how they instruct or for any other box for that matter. Like any other gym, there WILL be bad trainers and bad instruction. But bad instruction in a CF gym could be pretty disastrous.
    Again I like the HIIT method of CF. Some of their workouts are pretty awesome. But from my professional standpoint and from what I've seen happen to a few former gym members, 3 who were very seasoned weightlifters(now injured with some needing surgery), I'd stand by my point of a newbie learning the basics and building a base before advancing onto Olympic lifting.

IDEA Fitness member

"A work out" and "I don't believe there is a standard protocol on how they instruct",

Means, no you aren't familiar with Crossfit coaching techniques.
    I'm sorry I didn't use CF verbage. I did a WOD. And what I meant for a "standard protocol" is like that of any other gym. We have a standard protocol we do for each an every member. CF is a training regimen and boxes differ from one another. While it's still all CF (basically a brand), I don't believe that every box has the same standards of protocol. I could be wrong, but then it would be hard to explain the CF fails of some boxes on youtube if they are all following the same standards.

IDEA Fitness member

I know what your words meant, IDGAF about cross fit verbiage .

My point is you are making a guess (or an uneducated opinion), based on 1 workout and anecdotal evidence. What would be valuable to the OP is someone who said, "I signed up for a couple of months at the local box on a GroupOn discount. I went consistently 3-4 times a week for those months. I liked (or didn't like) the workouts, the teaching method, the level of coaching, or training and decided that paying the normal rate wasn't (or was) worth what I got from it, and went back to my normal 5x5, 5-3-1, etc..
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If you can find a good gym with experienced trainers it can be a lot of fun. If you do go just make sure you get instruction and keep to your own pace. Don't let the clock or any other bozo make you work harder than you can or compromise your form.

Here is a link to the study mentioned above as well as a link analysing the data

http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/24276294
    http://www.stackactive.com/2014/01/16/crossfits-injury-rates/

and here is a link for what not to do on your first day
    http://www.stackactive.com/2014/04/11/zercher-squat-fail/ lol

This is good advice.

Is $140 for unlimited classes? If so, that is a decent price.

I'll tell you this. My wife and I have unlimited free access to a very well equipped gym (military) exactly 1 mile (one stop sign through residential area) from our house. That gym has several free group classes each day for six days a week (HIIT, functional fitness, TRX, spin, zumba, etc). They have A.C.E. certified personal trainers for hire.

We chose to go to cross fit 20 minutes away (also free) 5 times a week. The environment and camarderie keep us going back and make us look forward to each days work out. Our box is strictly volunteer coaching, we have 2 or 3 coaches each work out and average 15 people at our WOD. (thats a better coach to athlete ratio than any of our group classes ever offered)

Yes, I know I said all that was free, but I travel a lot for work, if there is a box near, I will pay the drop in fee or prorated charge for however many workouts I can get it in. I haven't been to a box yet that I felt I was an outsider or unwelcome. A simple email to the box explaining my situation, and a couple of times coaches have emailed back and forth to verify my experience.

My wife was initially hesitant to come work out with me thinking it would be too much for her. She came to a fundamentals class, and started coming to cross fit after her boot camp class. two and half weeks of that and she admitted that boot camp wasn't nearly as challenging or as fun to go to as the WOD.

She's visiting the states this summer. The day after she arrived she was at the local box for a workout. She paid for a month and half of unlimited access.

All that typing to say, yes for us, it is worth it. We generally only spend a little extra for gas and time on the road each day, but I would pay for the what I get out of CF.

My suggestion is if you can afford it, (even if you can only budget it for a month right now) is to sign up, do the fundamentals or on ramp, and consistantly go for 3-4 workouts a week. After that month decide if it is worth what you'll have to spend to keep going.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    CF is a training regimen and boxes differ from one another. While it's still all CF (basically a brand), I don't believe that every box has the same standards of protocol. I could be wrong, but then it would be hard to explain the CF fails of some boxes on youtube if they are all following the same standards.
    this is my beef with cross fit.

Cross fit is NOT a training regimen. It is a not a training program

it's a sport. or a hobby.

. So for people wanting to get better at cross fit- doing cross fit is great. People with other goals- it's not going to get you there.

I absolutely agree boxes are different in terms of quality of standards. CF pumps out hundreds of instructors on a weekend. It's almost embarrassing. Some people have been in the sport for a long time- but like I have friends who I met in 2008- just started into cross fit the last 2 years- got certified. I don't' think they ever did ANY oly or power lifting before. I don't think that's enough time to really know what you are doing- you barely know what you are doing in terms of your own lifts much less being able to help someone.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    $140 a month...I could buy a squat rack for my home in <5 months of Crossfit. No thanks.

The thing is, you gotta do what you are going to stick to regardless. I keep my gym bag in my car at all times. I do weights a few days, cardio a few days, and play at the park or in my yard a few days. I am building an obstacle course in my yard (I have 5 acres so I can). I have kettlebells and an elliptical. I love to walk my neighborhood. I have apps on my phone for free exercises. If you want it bad enough, you find ways to make it happen.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    IF you are already "BULKY" get busy on a cardio heavy program... proper nutrition and LONG LONG runs will see you drop the fat and lean out your muscles...BUT you have to get into the caloric deficit in order to get where you are going... as for distance... think 10 k every day... and run... NOT jog... find a good running program that will increase your speed mile over mile...No0thing better than pounding out the K's ... and IF you want to mix it up and make some friends... look at Boot camps... lots of camaraderie and support in those groups... and running is about as inexpensive as it can get...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Couple of things:

Weight loss is more dependent on your calories in/out than actual exercise regimen.

Crossfit idea is great. Training from "boxes" differ immensely. Shoulder injury rates are about 25% from Crossfit according to a report from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning. That's higher than Olympic and powerlifting competitors (who move much higher amounts of weight).

If you're inexperienced in weight training, it's probably NOT a good idea to join Crossfit.

IDEA Fitness member

Seriously? No.
    I had never picked up a bar before joining crossfit and never once got injured. Saying that newbies to lifting shouldn't join crossfit is ridiculous.
    There is a huge difference in trying to learn good form in an unconditioned body with OLYMPIC style lifting vs building a foundation first (basic squat, shoulder presses, deadlifts) and then transitioning to Olympic lifting.
    You're the "special" person that may have excelled at it. Injury statistics for new Crossfitters (as well as seasoned lifters who joined) is at about 27% according to a study from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning.
    I'm NOT against free weight training or Olympic style lifting. The OP is inexperienced in lifting at all. There are better approaches for her to learn correct lifting technique and form rather than to jump into HIIT Crossfit training.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes. In fact, I have two good friends who are actual instructors at the Crossfit near my gym. They were both competitive Olympic lifters (I believe one still is and she's pretty good) before opening their box.
    Going in and doing a workout, I obviously did fine, until it came to pullups. I refused to do a "kip" pullup. And won't ever do one.
    Anyway, I don't believe that there is a "standard" protocol on how they instruct or for any other box for that matter. Like any other gym, there WILL be bad trainers and bad instruction. But bad instruction in a CF gym could be pretty disastrous.
    Again I like the HIIT method of CF. Some of their workouts are pretty awesome. But from my professional standpoint and from what I've seen happen to a few former gym members, 3 who were very seasoned weightlifters(now injured with some needing surgery), I'd stand by my point of a newbie learning the basics and building a base before advancing onto Olympic lifting.

IDEA Fitness member

I've been to different crossfit boxes in at least 2 different countries - I visit when I travel - and all have the same breakdown. The warmup, the technical work where you learn technique and focus on building strength. Then be workout. I have never done movement in a workout until the technique was learned properly and it is always at a lower weight.

In other words, we learn the basics before we move on.

Obviously I can't speak for every box, and undoubtably there are bad boxes, but that has not been my experience or the experience of anyone else I have talked to or met.
    The thing is - it is no different than regular trainers at a regular gym. There are bad one that can produce disastrous results as well.
    It's always up to the person to do their research.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Couple of things:

IDEA Fitness member

Seriously? No.

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

"A work out" and "I don't believe there is a standard protocol on how they instruct",

Means, no you aren't familiar with Crossfit coaching techniques.
    I'm sorry I didn't use CF verbage. I did a WOD. And what I meant for a "standard protocol" is like that of any other gym. We have a standard protocol we do for each an every member. CF is a training regimen and boxes differ from one another. While it's still all CF (basically a brand), I don't believe that every box has the same standards of protocol. I could be wrong, but then it would be hard to explain the CF fails of some boxes on youtube if they are all following the same standards.

IDEA Fitness member

Watch out....your bias is showing. As a PT, you have every reason to hate on CF.

CrossFit is a great way to learn how to lift, especially if you are too shy/embarrassed to use a weight room or can't afford a personal trainer. We have a 6 week, 3X/week, beginner training course called elements, which then transitions into beginner WODS and then into the real deal. Every box is different. If the trainers aren't taking the time to teach you, find a new one.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I get bored with the gym, and the workout classes are never convenient times, and it's about 15 minutes in the opposite direction where I live (anyway, giving excuses).

Those are all excuses. $140 a month, how many hours of work is that for you? Is it enough to keep what are pretty flimsy excuses at bay? Why do you believe that joining a crossfit gym will make you dedicated and consistent?

In my experience, the only people I've known to stick with crossfit were the ones that were sticking with working out consistently prior.

Hell, for $140 a month you could buy a couple hours worth of sessions each month with a personal trainer, and make sure that you have a dialed in workout that won't involve someone pushing you to get this prize:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-robertson/crossfit-rhabdomyolysis_b_3977598.html

rhabdoclown.baeef534.png

I can't ding you on the price, because I spend at least that for my personal sessions right now.

C'mon db...you know better than that. The rhabdo story (old news BTW) is sensationalism at its best. Also, there is no proof that CF causes higher rates of Rhabdo than any other fitness program. If people are pushing themselves beyond their limits, whether it's running a marathon or doing a WOD, that's on them.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think its totally worth it, its been the best decision I have made in regards to fitness. Its a challenge, its competitive, I work with great trainers and have met some of the nicest and most supportive people that all share the same goals and interest I have. I say go for an on-ramp class and see what it is like, it is expensive but can you really put a price tag on happiness? I live pay check to paycheck and I have made some sacrifices to join.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, I would say give it a try. I was the same as you, with a gym membership but not really motivated to go, would go to a spin class two or three times a week, maybe go for a jog on the days I was too lazy to go to the gym, but not really making any improvements.

I had been telling myself I would go to a Crossfit class when I was more in shape, but I got a coupon for a free trial to try a Crossfit class so I went on a whim and was hooked from the first intro class. I had rowed on a crew team in college, and Crossfit was the first thing that I had found that matched that camaraderie of the crew team and made me want to push myself again. I started going 4-5 times a week and saw huge improvements in my body, leaning out and getting stronger. I did start eating paleo as well, but it was not forced on me, it was something that I had also wanted to try for a long time, and under my coach's guidance I got started. As mentioned I started in intro classes and spent 3 or 4 weeks there learning the basic lifts before I was allowed to go to the regular classes. My coach spent lots of time with me to make sure my form was right and answered all the questions I had-which were a lot because I had never lifted before! As mentioned above, Crossfit doesn't coddle women-I was right there doing the same workouts as the boys, just with a bit lighter weight, and I have never felt stronger or believed in what my body can do more.

Right now I am currently not doing Crossfit because I moved to NYC and the prices are a bit more than I can afford ($200/month or more in NYC vs ~$150 in NJ), but I am doing the Stronglifts program at a cheaper gym using the knowledge and confidence that I gained from Crossfit. Once I settle in here a bit more and get used to living on my own and budgeting, I will definitely be returning to Crossfit. It made me more aware of myself, more driven to take care of myself, stronger, and leaner. It's not a magic fix, you still have to make yourself go to the classes, learn the moves correctly, and push yourself during the workouts. It is however a fun and challenging place to make friends and get in great shape.

I totally recommend that you try it-you never know, it could change your life!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    We had one person at our box get rhabdo. He got it the day we ran 5K in CF as the WOD. He could have walked part of the way. He had just been out partying the weekend before and tried to run a 5K without proper hydration or walk/run pacing. He could have easily done the same thing on his own running 5K. Running would have given him Rhabdo whether he was in CF or not. Now how many other people are out there running not properly hydrated or conditioned? Lots who have never thought about CF in their lives.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Spot on. the higher incidence of injuries across the spectrum is from crossfiters' improper form (embrace of "slop" in order to fit in the "time" limits) and overloading of the shoulder joint with more weight than the muscle and ligaments can support. Why would anyone on earth elect to overload their joints like this if they are a novice?

pggu.jpg

msu3w.jpg

voga9.jpg

The problem is improper form, which you can't correct when you're throwing weight around on a barbell or doing muscle-ups for speed. Why on earth would anyone want to do them quickly, they're such incredible, impossible movements
  • PRMinx
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Spot on. the higher incidence of injuries across the spectrum is from crossfiters' improper form (embrace of "slop" in order to fit in the "time" limits) and overloading of the shoulder joint with more weight than the muscle and ligaments can support. Why would anyone on earth elect to overload their joints like this if they are a novice?

pggu.jpg

msu3w.jpg

voga9.jpg

The problem is improper form, which you can't correct when you're throwing weight around on a barbell or doing muscle-ups. Why on earth would anyone want to do them quickly, they're such incredible, impossible movements

Have you actually ever been to a variety of CrossFit classes at different boxes? Because you have no idea what it's really like.

I've been doing CrossFit for a year and still can't do a muscle up. I scale. And the few people who can do one, do it at their own pace. I wouldn't call it "quickly."

Also, I don't "throw weight around on a barbell" because I have common sense. I lift what I can. If it's not Rx, I scale and I don't feel bad about it at all. The people who get hurt are the ones who let their ego get in the way.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    IF you are already "BULKY" get busy on a cardio heavy program... proper nutrition and LONG LONG runs will see you drop the fat and lean out your muscles...BUT you have to get into the caloric deficit in order to get where you are going... as for distance... think 10 k every day... and run... NOT jog... find a good running program that will increase your speed mile over mile...No0thing better than pounding out the K's ... and IF you want to mix it up and make some friends... look at Boot camps... lots of camaraderie and support in those groups... and running is about as inexpensive as it can get...

Back in...

...for advice for overweight people to do six mile runs...

...while I continue to read about crossfit's supposedly higher-than-average/dangerous injury rate.

Do you even know the injury rate for untrained overweight runners? Hint: it's really high.
  • Fit4Yah
    Fit4Yah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I went to a CrossFit gym one time for an "evaluation test". I liked the workout. It was fun...BUT the particular one I went to, the people running it were not very knowledgeable. The owner didn't even know what "getting toned" was. There are a lot of shady CrossFit gyms. If you find a good one AND you can afford it then it's up to you but like others have said you can pay a lot less and still get results if you actually workout or spend the same amount and get personal training. The gym I went to was going to cost me $180 a month.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Couple of things:

IDEA Fitness member

Seriously? No.

IDEA Fitness member

Of these crossfit injuries, how many are the result of bad instruction vs how many are the result of the individual making poor decisions (improper form for more reps/better time, too much weight, bad recovery habits, etc.)?

In my life experience, my injuries...both in and out of crossfit...have almost always been the result of *my* bad judgment, not those of the instructor/trainer/coach. This includes non-fitness related injuries too.

Also, done reasonably, the oly lifts are no more dangerous than any other barbell lift. The technical nature of them is self-limiting for weight *assuming* the practitioner isn't stupid about it. I'll put newbies learning to clean with an appropriate amount of weight up against gymbros bench pressing too much weight on the injuryometer any day.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Have you actually ever been to a variety of CrossFit classes at different boxes? Because you have no idea what it's really like.

I've been doing CrossFit for a year and still can't do a muscle up. I scale. And the few people who can do one, do it at their own pace. I wouldn't call it "quickly."

Also, I don't "throw weight around on a barbell" because I have common sense. I lift what I can. If it's not Rx, I scale and I don't feel bad about it at all. The people who get hurt are the ones who let their ego get in the way.

I'm sorry, I have, and I see functional BS and low weight, junk form, high fast repped lifting all the time. If you're doing a sub maximal lift with sloppy form, it only reinforces sloppy form for when you *think* you can ramp up the weight.

So no, you can't say that I don't know what Crossfit is. If you aren't doing the WOD for time then you are doing HIIT with some strength training.

I love the intensity that crossfitters have, I love the way they introduce new people to the barbell, we need TONS more of that. However, we need barbell lifting with proper form. Practicing a lift with bad form and compensation makes you stronger for your own unbalanced, off kilter style of lifting.

All the weighted running, timed workouts, and the attitude is great. I just wish Crossfit people would take constructive criticism sometimes.

Some of you (crossfitters) are doing it wrong.

So when OP asks whether or not to "Do Crossfit" I chime in with, "If you want, but don't get sucked into bad lifting practices, they take SO LONG to unlearn."
  • PRMinx
    Options

I'm sorry, I have, and I see functional BS and low weight, junk form, high fast repped lifting all the time. If you're doing a sub maximal lift with sloppy form, it only reinforces sloppy form for when you *think* you can ramp up the weight.

So no, you can't say that I don't know what Crossfit is. If you aren't doing the WOD for time then you are doing HIIT with some strength training.

I love the intensity that crossfitters have, I love the way they introduce new people to the barbell, we need TONS more of that. However, we need barbell lifting with proper form. Practicing a lift with bad form and compensation makes you stronger for you unbalanced, off kilter style of lifting.

All the weighted running, timed workouts, and the attitude is great. I just wish Crossfit people would take constructive criticism sometimes.

Some of you (crossfitters) are doing it wrong.

So when OP asks whether or not to "Do Crossfit" I chime in with, "If you want, but don't get sucked into bad lifting practices, they take SO LONG to unlearn."

Well, this is quite a different tone from your first post. Perhaps if you were this balanced in your opinion the first time, CF-ers wouldn't get defensive.

There are bad boxes, there are good boxes. There are also bad trainers, and there are good trainers. There are lazy athletes, and then there are athletes who take the time to learn. You can't paint us all with one broad brush.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I can see where this thread was going after just a couple posts. Your goal is to lose weight, so if that's the case your money would be better invested in a dietitian or reputable nutritionist. If your goal is gain endurance and some strength improvement, then CrossFit would be a good investment.