Meal Idea's While on Vacation

hill2423
hill2423 Posts: 15 Member
Need some help!!! I'm going on vacation next week and I am trying to plan some of my meals at least for breakfast and lunch. Anyone have any suggestions. I really don't want to gain any weight but I know that will be hard being that I'm from Louisiana and I'll be there for a few days then off to sunny Florida for some beach action. So any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Are you going to be eating out at restaurants or will you be able to cook for yourself?

If you aren't hungry in the morning, I'd suggest skipping breakfast or just having something small like a piece of fruit. You'll have more calories left over to spend on lunch and dinner (and dessert!)

It is vacation, so you should be able to eat delicious foods and enjoy yourself. Eat whatever you want, but keep portion sizes small. Split an entree with a friend, or take home leftovers and eat that for lunch the next day.

Stay as active during the day as you can. Walk to your destinations instead of driving. Even taking public transportation is more active. Play games on the beach, volleyball, frisbee, go swimming.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    go with protein shakes with a side of quest bar? :wink:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    At the beach? Eat seafood. Most seafood is pretty low cal, high protein provided it's not fried.
  • MrTolerable
    At the beach? Eat seafood. Most seafood is pretty low cal, high protein provided it's not fried.

salmon! :smile:
  • I'm actually out at work in Dubai for 3 months, it took me a while, but I'm finally understand the food, and understanding how to calorie count here!

My biggest tip is try sticking with light meals for when you know what you are going to be eating. Also, try and maybe work in a bit more exercise to even out the extra unknown calories. I worked out a max of 30 minutes/wk before the vacation, and now i'm putting in about 20 minutes a day. My one life saver is having some non-fat yogurt and almonds to help make meals a bit more healthy! Sometimes lunch is a GIANT bowl of rice, so i take maybe 1/4 cup of rice, mix it with some yogurt and almonds, and it's actually very filling, and a lot healthier of an alternative!

My breakfast is two eggs (i'm on 1400 cals), my lunches are variable to whatever my cafeteria here gives me (upwards of 700 calories, ouch! but YUM) and my dinner is usually a half portion of something, a soup or a salad.

For instance, today i had:
    a 2 egg omelette and a banana for breakfast (305 cals)
    Chicken Tandoori with Chapati and yogurt (600 cals)
    and i had a half portion of Chicken Korma with a Parotta (380 cals)

That's 1285 cals, and I'll probably snack on 100 cals of almonds while winding down.

Then i burned 270 calories running up and down the stairs at my hotel!
  • hill2423
    Thanks for the advice. I'll eat out maybe once or twice but that's it. If I can I'll skip breakfast, it just depends on the time I wake up.
  • hill2423

Thanks, I'll try protein shakes for breakfast. I plan to do some running earlier in the morning so this could be my post workout meal.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    I just got back from a nine day vacation, ate out every meal (2Xday) and drank beer every day. I couldn't exercise like I wanted but walked everywhere, only gained 2 lbs, which I'll lose within the next 2 weeks. So, I say enjoy yourself and don't stress out about it.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    I would not recommend skipping breakfast this will stall your metabolism. Even an egg or a slice of toast would be better than nothing.
  • MrTolerable

Thanks, I'll try protein shakes for breakfast. I plan to do some running earlier in the morning so this could be my post workout meal.
    :flowerforyou:

enjoy your vacation above all else.

it is a vacation!
  • Vickilite
    Vickilite Posts: 32 Member
    Make sure your room has a mini fridge and a microwave. You might have to pay a little extra for it, but it really helps. Keep some lite Greek yogurt and berries in the fridge for a quick breakfast. Saves $ too.

Hey, can anyone tell me how post a new topic? The Help screen says to click on New Top under Community, but there no "new topic" wording on my screen...?
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Almost every seafood place down there will offer grilled fish. Pray it is snapped because it is amazing!

Also, just a tip, running on the sand can burn twice as much as regular running. (Based on an article I read in runner's world.) If you want to enjoy a cheat meal make it for it by putting in some miles as the sun comes up.