Is crossfit worth it?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I went to a CrossFit gym one time for an "evaluation test". I liked the workout. It was fun...BUT the particular one I went to, the people running it were not very knowledgeable. The owner didn't even know what "getting toned" was. There are a lot of shady CrossFit gyms. If you find a good one AND you can afford it then it's up to you but like others have said you can pay a lot less and still get results if you actually workout or spend the same amount and get personal training. The gym I went to was going to cost me $180 a month.

In his/her defense, I don't know what "getting toned" is either.

I do, however, know what reducing body fat and increasing muscle mass are. Perhaps you should have specified one of those things instead?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Anyhow, I let the talk about crossfit keep me from looking into it for several years. Then a couple of years ago, I was seeing my chiropractor for an injury that I had caused myself and mentioned that crossfit sounded too dangerous. He told me that I had a remarkable ability to injure myself all by myself. Maybe I should let crossfit have a go. At the very least, I'd have someone else to blame for my next injury. In my time in crossfit, the only injury I suffered was a minor strain from trying to deadlift too much weight. I suppose that just makes me another crossfit injury statistic and is evidence that crossfit is dangerous and should be avoided.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Watch out....your bias is showing. As a PT, you have every reason to hate on CF.

CrossFit is a great way to learn how to lift, especially if you are too shy/embarrassed to use a weight room or can't afford a personal trainer. We have a 6 week, 3X/week, beginner training course called elements, which then transitions into beginner WODS and then into the real deal. Every box is different. If the trainers aren't taking the time to teach you, find a new one.
    Thing is I don't HATE CF. I mentioned here a couple of times that I like the HIIT approach of it. My opinion was for the OP: probably not a good idea to try to learn a clean and jerk right off the bat. Would probably be better to strengthen body first with front squats, deadlifts and standing shoulder presses before attempting to learn clean and jerk. I don't know of any trainers that would take a brand new inexperienced client and have them start of "learning" a lift like the clean and jerk from day one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Anyhow, I let the talk about crossfit keep me from looking into it for several years. Then a couple of years ago, I was seeing my chiropractor for an injury that I had caused myself and mentioned that crossfit sounded too dangerous. He told me that I had a remarkable ability to injure myself all by myself. Maybe I should let crossfit have a go. At the very least, I'd have someone else to blame for my next injury. In my time in crossfit, the only injury I suffered was a minor strain from trying to deadlift too much weight. I suppose that just makes me another crossfit injury statistic and is evidence that crossfit is dangerous and should be avoided.

:flowerforyou:

And to answer the OPs question:

No one can assess your financial situation and tell you what you can, and cannot, afford except for you.

I will say though that CrossFit has completely changed my life for the better. It's the only workout program that I have been able to stick with for more than a year and there are several reasons why:

1. I like doing activities where I can benchmark my progress. Certainly you can do this with other workouts. I just like the CrossFit workouts.

2. Our class sizes are usually around 20 people and there are two trainers on the floor. Between warmup, strength and then preparing for the WOD, almost everyone gets some personal attention. Also, they make themselves available during open gym and after WODs to help people out - and that's included in our price.

3. Bumper plates.

4. The community. Some people say it's cult-like. I think that's bullsh&t. If CrossFit is cult-like then so is any running group, biking group or team sport. Anytime you get a group of people together who have the same interests, they are going to want to hang out together. Prior to joining CF, I had very few friends here because I was a recent transplant. I've met some amazing people at my box and we are now friends inside and outside of the gym. They are the reason why I get up in the morning at 5am to go workout.

5. Results. I haz them.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well, this is quite a different tone from your first post. Perhaps if you were this balanced in your opinion the first time, CF-ers wouldn't get defensive.

There are bad boxes, there are good boxes. There are also bad trainers, and there are good trainers. There are lazy athletes, and then there are athletes who take the time to learn. You can't paint us all with one broad brush.

Actually, I just realized.. I was feeding my 3 month old when I was trying to finish the post. Aaaaalmost had enough nap time to finish..

I apologize for my tone.

I learned how to lift from a trainer who had a college degree, advocated crossfit, yet didn't have a basic understanding of human physiology and the mechanics of muscle and bone and ligaments working as a machine. I had to pick up Ripptoe's Starting Strength, which is where the images above are from.

His whole thing is that any horizontal movement of the loaded bar creates a moment arm, increasing the lateral stress on joints and reducing the total amount of weight that can be lifted with that form.

If you go to the classes, the crossfit training camps that they have, the trainers there don't teach much form either, and there are several accounts of how the creators of crossfit kept lifting closer to their old style than with crossfit, while charging several thousand per person and not teaching them anything more than their style of HIIT.

It's hypocrisy at it's worst, and it's dishonest. The old phrase fool me once means, to me, that if you've determined that someone is dishonest, stop associating with them. But Crossfit is a brand, and it's easier to sell something new and somewhat shiny with blemishes, rather than embrace the knowledge that lifters have gained through their hard work and efforts over the last hundred years.

I'm just one of those weird people who can't get past that, I'm sorry.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Watch out....your bias is showing. As a PT, you have every reason to hate on CF.

CrossFit is a great way to learn how to lift, especially if you are too shy/embarrassed to use a weight room or can't afford a personal trainer. We have a 6 week, 3X/week, beginner training course called elements, which then transitions into beginner WODS and then into the real deal. Every box is different. If the trainers aren't taking the time to teach you, find a new one.
    Thing is I don't HATE CF. I mentioned here a couple of times that I like the HIIT approach of it. My opinion was for the OP: probably not a good idea to try to learn a clean and jerk right off the bat. Would probably be better to strengthen body first with front squats, deadlifts and standing shoulder presses before attempting to learn clean and jerk. I don't know of any trainers that would take a brand new inexperienced client and have them start of "learning" a lift like the clean and jerk from day one.

IDEA Fitness member

So, learning the lift with a PVC pipe is too advanced for you?

Again, you are assuming that all CF boxes are starting people off with weighted C&J right away. You're wrong.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Couple of things:

Weight loss is more dependent on your calories in/out than actual exercise regimen.

Crossfit idea is great. Training from "boxes" differ immensely. Shoulder injury rates are about 25% from Crossfit according to a report from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning. That's higher than Olympic and powerlifting competitors (who move much higher amounts of weight).

If you're inexperienced in weight training, it's probably NOT a good idea to join Crossfit.

IDEA Fitness member

Seriously? No.
    I had never picked up a bar before joining crossfit and never once got injured. Saying that newbies to lifting shouldn't join crossfit is ridiculous.
    There is a huge difference in trying to learn good form in an unconditioned body with OLYMPIC style lifting vs building a foundation first (basic squat, shoulder presses, deadlifts) and then transitioning to Olympic lifting.
    You're the "special" person that may have excelled at it. Injury statistics for new Crossfitters (as well as seasoned lifters who joined) is at about 27% according to a study from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning.
    I'm NOT against free weight training or Olympic style lifting. The OP is inexperienced in lifting at all. There are better approaches for her to learn correct lifting technique and form rather than to jump into HIIT Crossfit training.

IDEA Fitness member

The PT I got to really enjoys the proliferation of CF. We were talking about his primary demographic for his business while rehabbing an IT band injury. He said hands down, CF is ensuring his ability to expand, and ensuring a long life for his business. He also mentioned that cross fitters have overtaken his elderly clientele in both numbers of people needing rehab and in billables.

Sure, that's one practice, but for him, it's a bonanza for the reasons the mod above mentioned.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Well, this is quite a different tone from your first post. Perhaps if you were this balanced in your opinion the first time, CF-ers wouldn't get defensive.

There are bad boxes, there are good boxes. There are also bad trainers, and there are good trainers. There are lazy athletes, and then there are athletes who take the time to learn. You can't paint us all with one broad brush.

Actually, I just realized.. I was feeding my 3 month old when I was trying to finish the post. Aaaaalmost had enough nap time to finish..

I apologize for my tone.

I learned how to lift from a trainer who had a college degree, advocated crossfit, yet didn't have a basic understanding of human physiology and the mechanics of muscle and bone and ligaments working as a machine. I had to pick up Ripptoe's Starting Strength, which is where the images above are from.

His whole thing is that any horizontal movement of the loaded bar creates a moment arm, increasing the lateral stress on joints and reducing the total amount of weight that can be lifted with that form.

If you go to the classes, the crossfit training camps that they have, the trainers there don't teach much form either, and there are several accounts of how the creators of crossfit kept lifting closer to their old style than with crossfit, while charging several thousand per person and not teaching them anything more than their style of HIIT.

It's hypocrisy at it's worst, and it's dishonest. The old phrase fool me once means, to me, that if you've determined that someone is dishonest, stop associating with them. But Crossfit is a brand, and it's easier to sell something new and somewhat shiny with blemishes, rather than embrace the knowledge that lifters have gained through their hard work and efforts over the last hundred years.

I'm just one of those weird people who can't get past that, I'm sorry.

And, what I'm saying is that you are painting with a very broad brush. In our Elements class all we focus on is form. And then people are graduated to the beginner class. And THEN people are graduated to the actual CF class.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Actually, you summed up the article that Christian Thibaudeau wrote last month for T-Nation. It's interesting to compare what he wrote to your firsthand experience, it sounds like his theories about why crossfit shows a lot of results quickly is spot on =)

http://www.t-nation.com/training/crossfit-apology
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    it can be done at home, with a reasonable equipment investment.

the crossfit gyms around me require a week or two of classes before joining the gym where they teach you some basic olympic lifts.

i'm thinking about taking the class to get may feet wet, and maybe do a month at the gym, then do it from home.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The problem with CF injuries are that because CF is mainstream and under the microscope, the injuries are reported and major injuries make headlines. So when a study comes out that shows a 52% injury rate, people gasp. Unfortunately most of your serious powerlifting gyms are private or they have a nice garage gym, but either way those injuries don't make headlines. Brandon Lily who holds a couple PL records destroyed his knee a couple months ago in a competition (petalla fracture, either one ACL / MCL or perhaps both and a couple other things) but unless you follow certain sites most people never heard of this. But most people heard about the guy that became a quadriplegic after screwing up a snatch.

I do believe that CF will naturally have more injuries because of how the workouts are conducted; I've seen enough research on that and it's easily available to most people. I think people just need to use their head about it and be honest with themselves. CF is good all-around exercise if that's all you want out of it, it's not training; it's exercise. Just do some research beforehand and find a box that seems to have a good reputation especially in getting beginners into CF.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's absolutely not worth the money. You'd be better served finding somebody to go to the gym with. Your profile says you're in Seattle, I'm sure you could even find someone on MFP in the Seattle area that would want a gym buddy. Paying four times as much for Crossfit isn't worth it especially when you could do the workouts on your own to be honest.

This. Also Crossfit is notorious for ridiculous exercises that promote terrible form and potential injury. I would never spend $140/mo for the risk of hurting myself and getting put out of commission for weeks or more. Stick to your gym, and practice good form on your own.
  • Fit4Yah
    Fit4Yah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I went to a CrossFit gym one time for an "evaluation test". I liked the workout. It was fun...BUT the particular one I went to, the people running it were not very knowledgeable. The owner didn't even know what "getting toned" was. There are a lot of shady CrossFit gyms. If you find a good one AND you can afford it then it's up to you but like others have said you can pay a lot less and still get results if you actually workout or spend the same amount and get personal training. The gym I went to was going to cost me $180 a month.

In his/her defense, I don't know what "getting toned" is either.

I do, however, know what reducing body fat and increasing muscle mass are. Perhaps you should have specified one of those things instead?

Yes I did specify that when he said he didn't know what getting toned was. He said well, all I know is if you do CrossFit here you will be more athletic and have a lot of people to challenge you and cheer you on so if that's what you're looking for then this is the place for you....I chose for it to NOT be the place for me. Not that particular CrossFit gym anyway.

There were a lot of things that just didn't sound ok to me, too many to list. That's why I left it simple and said there are a lot of shady CrossFit gyms but if you find a good one and you can afford it, go for it.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Actually, you summed up the article that Christian Thibaudeau wrote last month for T-Nation. It's interesting you compare what he wrote to your firsthand experience, it sounds like his theories about why crossfit shows a lot of results quickly is spot on =)

http://www.t-nation.com/training/crossfit-apology

I'm an old fan of CT's stuff. Stopped keeping up with t-nation years ago though when they seemed to focus more on their latest super-supp (Indigo, maybe?) than solid information. I'll check this link out though. Thanks.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Crossfit idea is great. Training from "boxes" differ immensely. Shoulder injury rates are about 25% from Crossfit according to a report from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning. That's higher than Olympic and powerlifting competitors (who move much higher amounts of weight).

If you're inexperienced in weight training, it's probably NOT a good idea to join Crossfit.

IDEA Fitness member

Spot on. the higher incidence of injuries across the spectrum is from crossfiters' improper form (embrace of "slop" in order to fit in the "time" limits) and overloading of the shoulder joint with more weight than the muscle and ligaments can support. Why would anyone on earth elect to overload their joints like this if they are a novice?

pggu.jpg

msu3w.jpg

voga9.jpg

The problem is improper form, which you can't correct when you're throwing weight around on a barbell or doing muscle-ups for speed. Why on earth would anyone want to do them quickly, they're such incredible, impossible movements

This is excellent, thank you for providing visuals as to WHY crossfit has such a high potential for injury.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I get bored with the gym, and the workout classes are never convenient times, and it's about 15 minutes in the opposite direction where I live (anyway, giving excuses).

Those are all excuses. $140 a month, how many hours of work is that for you? Is it enough to keep what are pretty flimsy excuses at bay? Why do you believe that joining a crossfit gym will make you dedicated and consistent?

In my experience, the only people I've known to stick with crossfit were the ones that were sticking with working out consistently prior.

Hell, for $140 a month you could buy a couple hours worth of sessions each month with a personal trainer, and make sure that you have a dialed in workout that won't involve someone pushing you to get this prize:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-robertson/crossfit-rhabdomyolysis_b_3977598.html

rhabdoclown.baeef534.png

I can't ding you on the price, because I spend at least that for my personal sessions right now.

I was thinking the same thing. if you are going to spend money, then spend it on personal training sessions.

$140 a month gets really tired really fast. When I was paying 125 for kickboxing, the month would fly by and I was overdrafting. So I quit after 6 months and was at Planet. then I moved and quit Planet and joined Gold's Gym and I found exactly what I needed. I don't do personal training but they have classes I sometimes take.

If money is even a tiny bit of an issue, I would think twice of committing to a monthly payment of $140.00.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    i would like to join a good box just to learn Olympic lifting as the gym i go to it is against the rules (they don't have bumpler plates) but i'm still wary
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Do you even know the injury rate for untrained overweight runners? Hint: it's really high.
    I won't disagree with you there. It happens everyday. There will invariably be new people who will try a new program of any sort, not have the basics down, and then get injured. I've had group fitness classes in Kbox where even after instructing new members to turn their supporting foot towards the direction of their roundhouse, some won't and end up twisting their hip or knee. Injury is GOING to happen. Most will happen with lack of focus, lack of form, too much resistance or challenge, fatigue and ego. And it can happen anywhere.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    for a tiny bit of information and a lot of laughs go to this site.....

http://www.facebook.com/BroScienceLife

and look up the video for "What is Crossfit?"
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I can see where this thread was going after just a couple posts. Your goal is to lose weight, so if that's the case your money would be better invested in a dietitian or reputable nutritionist. If your goal is gain endurance and some strength improvement, then CrossFit would be a good investment.
    I like the idea of crossfit for a couple of reasons.

I hate doing cardio and know that doing cardio is a beneficial thing
    I love lifting heavy things
    People who do crossfit are motivated to exercise

My main problem with it (outside of the form issues and such that have been discussed over and over) is that outside of an untrained and out of shape individual, I don't see how crossfit can make you "stronger".

If you've never done any weight training at all, and have pretty low cardio "fitness", doing any amount of lifting regardless of the progression/programming is going to make you improve. I think that's where a lot of the love for Crossfit comes from, people enjoy doing it, they improve their previously basic strength and they get into better fitness.

But once you get to that certain level of strength/fitness, crossfit can't help you improve any more. You can't simply push yourself harder to get strong doing those types of workouts. You need a program that's designed to slowly increase your body's capacity to move heavier things.

I always hear crossfitters say things like "You gotta keep your body guessing", and "you never know what today's workout is going to bring", as if that's a good thing, but it seems more than a little silly to me. If your goal it to get stronger, how can you do that when you might not do the same lift 2 times in a month?

Maybe if I had trouble sticking to a program for any amount of time, I'd be more interested in trying it out, but I enjoy lifting for its own sake, whether or not I'm racing the guy next to me to finish. I also enjoy the progression, knowing that last week I did x and this week I'm going to do x+2.

IMO Crossfit is good because it gets people motivated who have never lifted, but at some point those people are going to stop seeing the progress they get initially and get frustrated and quit or move on to an actual program.