Starvation Mode

Options
I've been going through something fierce. I haven't been able to have a decent meal since last week. Every day since I've averaged between 300-800 calories intake for the day. More so on the lower end. Yes, I know that's too little....but I can't seem to bring myself to want to eat. When this painful moment passes, I know I will be back to normal but right now I just can't. :-( Last Sunday I weighed 207.4. This morning I weighed 199.8. I'd feel happy with that number if I didn't feel so damn horrible inside right now. I know time heals all wounds, but in the meantime I don't want to harm my metabolism. How long can I go like this before my metabolism slows down? Can you recommend any high calorie protein shakes? Drinking doesn't seem to be a problem. I just don't have an appetite.

Replies

• A185945
    A185945 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I have been battling with exactly the same thing since last week! I was doing so well the week before, and lost three pounds. Unfortunately, last week, the loss of appetite has hit me out of nowhere. I have barely eaten a thing, and as a result, I haven't lost a single pound! So good luck, I will keep my fingers crossed for you, and recommend that you at least sip on cups of low fat soup for lunch or as a snack during the day, if you really aren't hungry. I am going to try this tomorrow:-)
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Boost has a very high calorie shake. 530 calories per 8 fl oz serving, 22 grams of protein, and 26 vitamins and minerals.Appropriate for fluid-restricted diets,

You definitely need to up your caloric intake.

It only comes in vanilla. You can get a case for about $60.
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    Thanks. Ill try to look up Boost when I go to the store.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    You might want to see a doctor if your appetite has disappeared. It could be something like mono. I have a friend went blind from mono (which is rare) so it might be important to catch. Unless there are other symptoms that might be a different illness?

I hope you feel better soon!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    You might want to see a doctor if your appetite has disappeared

Yup. I get that way sometimes and it is usually tied to getting/being sick, or I get bouts of depression too.

As for starvation mode, that is reserved for those with super low body fat, when your body is actually starving (think concentration camps). Your body might change a bit over a few weeks with losing weight though.
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Emotionally driven appetite loss is completely normal (in my opinion. totally not a doctor) Just make it count when you do eat and yes, supplement with shakes to meet your calorie needs.

Other than that- reach out for support on what is bothering you. A close friend, a professional, start a blog to let those feelings out. The more you can process them the quicker the healing.

*hugs*
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. The laws of thermodynamics don't magically cease to apply inside your body.

The myth that overweight people can "damage their metabolism" and go into "starvation mode" if they eat too little needs to die a slow, painful death.
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I only ask because this is what MFP has been saying to me every night I hit complete log entries:

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum.
  • blintaro
    blintaro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ooh yeah I got that message after I logged for the day yesterday. Do you think your loss of appetite is mental (food=fat) or physical (just forget)? Also perhaps you might want to take some supplements like a multivitamin and fish oil (which has omega 3s for your brain, definitely don't want to sacrifice that)? I also take resveratrol but that might just be my vanity haha. That way even if you're not eating enough you're getting the basic stuff your body needs
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    Sorry for late reply. Its a combination of mental and physical. Half is not having an appetite, the other is just getting lost in my thoughts/day and realizing I haven't eaten. More importantly, not really caring. Idk, it will pass. :-(
  • Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Options
    I see the same message on the bottom of my food diary and believe me there's enough fat on this body that starvation can't possibly be an issue. I have days when I do the emotional eating and then feel like crap. I also suffer from depression & anxiety so my meds also play into how and when I feel like eating. Once you get through or past the emotional stuff that's bothering you I wouldn't worry, but if it continues then I think you might want to seek professional help. The best to you and hopefully the support you get on MFP helps. Some people get tired of me posting this, but it's true; tomorrow's a new day and can bring positive possibilities! Grab that rope and hang on. :flowerforyou:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Loss of appetite this severe should always be taken seriously.

It could be something physical (mono, digestive issues, etc), or psychological (depression, anxiety, stress, eating disorders [my eating disorder actually started out like this; contrary to popular belief, they are not always about weight... mine started out as simply 'having no appetite' for a few weeks and became a beast quickly], etc). But it could be something either way. I hope it does pass. Either way, when it does, weight loss should continue as normal. Starvation mode, as most think of it, is a myth. Your weight loss could slow down, but it won't just cease. Nor will you magically gain weight eating at a deficit.

Just take care of yourself, and if it is something health related, I hope you get it checked out.

Carnation breakfast drinks and the Kelloggs shakes help me a LOT on days where I struggle.