Half Marathon training

Options
mzbek24
mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
How long do you think would be needed to train for a half marathon if you're currently only at the 5k level, and what is the best way to go about training?

I'm wanting to complete a half marathon, and there's one in the city in mid October but I don't know if I'd be able to get to that level by then. Am I better to just go for a 10km for my next milestone and take more time to work up to a Half marathon?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There are a number of plans out there; Hal Higdon, Runners World etc that I'd suggest you explore and pick one.

Assuming that you're just going for completion, rather than time you can probably do it in 12-16 weeks, although you don't have much margin for dealing with niggles in that time.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah just going for completion atm.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would definitely pick out a beginner plan and go with it. The first one I ever used was in the RUnner World book: The Big Book of Marathon and Half MArathon training. You may like to check it out because it has lots of good info in it about training, different kinds of runs, nutrition, race day tips, etc in addition to training plans.

I definitely think you can work from 5k to 13 in 16 weeks or so, esp if your goal is completion. But you can always adjust your goals if you get halfway and its just nto working for you. If you have to sign up for the race now, you could purchase the race protection or choose one that allows you change distance.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Check out Jeff Galloway's program. I believe his is 18 weeks.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey! My first half is on Nov 2 and I am also at the 5K level right now. That gives me 16 weeks til the race. I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's Novice 1 half marathon training program here: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Since it's 12 weeks long, I'm going to work on getting a good 5K base for the first couple weeks and get going on the program. I'll have two extra weeks in there to repeat weeks that I have trouble with or if I get sick or injured or something. With that said, if you have a good 5K base right now, you can definitely do the mid-Oct half!

My first 10K was late May and I learned that it's both extremely important but impossible to follow a training program! I had my 10K training planned out perfectly every day, but guess what...stuff happens. You get sick. You have family emergencies. You hurt your freaking achilles. Whenever I couldn't do a workout exactly as planned I got really frustrated and upset with myself. My poor boyfriend got to see lots of tears. But I learned that having some flexibility week after week (but making sure to stay somewhat consistent) works. Unfortunately I had some stomach issues the morning of my race (my biggest fear honestly, and it came true!) but I did my best and enjoyed it anyway, even though my time wasn't even close to my practice 10K a couple weeks before.

So yeah, pick a training plan and get going, and don't worry if you have bumps in the road where you have to switch workout days or even skip one every now and then. You'll be fine. :)
  • cynthiar1025
    cynthiar1025 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon last year and followed the Hal Higdon plan. i am doing the same this year. The half is on Oct 13 and the plan begins the week of July 21st. I was not able to follow it exactly due to other commitments but followed enough of it that helped me get through it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Depending on how confident you are in your running, you could also follow a plan by Jeff Galloway that involves run/walk intervals. Personally, I use walk intervals in my running and am faster for it than if I ran continuously (with fewer/no injuries to boot). In my last half, I did a 9 minute run, 1 minute walk interval, though Jeff recommends shorter run segments for someone at my pace (completed in 2:33)

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    I'd say about 16 weeks but it depends on your goal. Do you want to just finish it or do you want to shoot for a time to finish by? That will determine how you want to train.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I did the hal higdon novice 1 which is about 12 weeks. I actually had 14 weeks and added a couple of long runs in.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can safely increase your distance by 10% a week?
    Ummm... I'm mostly just bumping this though haha.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I was hanging out at the 10k level for a while before going for my first half, and even that was a little miserable. Do you want to know how far forever is? 8 miles. I couldn't get past that mark for weeks.

How many miles per week are you currently running?

I think just being at a 5k level, you might be able to complete a half more comfortably if you spend some time at runs 5-6-7 miles long. Build yourself a nice base. Would you object to looking at a spring half instead of a fall?
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am starting week #4 of Hal's 12 week novice plan.
    You can do it. As long as you are just aiming to complete it and not to do it in a set amount of time.

It is *only* 13.1 miles. :)
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo's training program. It tests me along the way to ensure it's challenging me enough, and it's no-fuss. I turn on the app, I go running. I'm training for a half. (Their training programs are generally 20-24 weeks)

I love it.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    You should be fine by then! Just keep on getting out there and try and run a bit further each time. I found some plans which helped (and always remember to encorporate rest days), but there's no need to stick to them religiously so long as you are progressing.

Good luck - you'll love it and on the day it's so much fun with all the other runners. :smile:

I'm doing mine at the end of September (haven't started training for it yet).
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think you've got time to prepare for this.

So far I have run my HMs on intervals. There is some data (controversial) to suggest that most of us will have better overall times if we include recovery intervals in our longer distance runs. This has certainly been the case for me.

In the past I was usually doing 9:1 run/walk, so a 1 minute recover walk for every 9 min running.
    Recently I have started playing around with 14:1 and liking it so far.

Always for running, the key issue is to avoid injuries so:
    1) have good shoes professionally fitted (some like to rotate different shoes; I've recently started doing this)
    2) spend adequate time on warm up, cool down, and stretching
    3) don't neglect core work as this increases your body's stability for a better running form and less shock-y stride
    4) consider getting a running coach to look at your technique and suggest changes that will help you perform better and more injury-free (this has been HUGE for me)
    5) build volume slowly
    6) build in recovery periods to your weekly/monthly running schedule so your body has a chance to heal
    7) spend about 80-90% of your running time at an easy, low-intensity pace.

At the end of a training run, you should feel good and feel like you could turn right around and do the same run again if you had to. If you're feeling beat and battered at the end of your training runs, you are on track for an injury.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, you can jump from 5K to 13.1 with any of the above stated training programs. The biggest difference will be incorporating more long slow runs. What is your current longest run? Also, many plans will probably include a mid training 10K, so I would keep my eyes peeled for a local 10K over the summer that lines up with training.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    I trained with a local running store who sets up training groups for my first half. It started in January and the half marathon was the first weekend in May so, basically 4 months.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I was hanging out at the 10k level for a while before going for my first half, and even that was a little miserable. Do you want to know how far forever is? 8 miles. I couldn't get past that mark for weeks.

How many miles per week are you currently running?

I think just being at a 5k level, you might be able to complete a half more comfortably if you spend some time at runs 5-6-7 miles long. Build yourself a nice base. Would you object to looking at a spring half instead of a fall?

I think youll find that Higdon plan and a lot of the others youll find will give you a suggested level you should be at to beging their training...and 5-6 miles is about right...

as others have said galloways run/walk plan is a good way to start..a run walk is how i did my first one (super slow but finished).
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm at this point now myself...I've always been in pretty good shape and have done intense workouts but running has been my Everest lol. Just couldn't get there for some reason. I started running in late April and it was honestly the first time I could run 2 miles straight without taking walk breaks. Now I have done up to almost 5 miles but since it's gotten hotter (I'm in Texas...painful summer runs), I haven't done more than 4 miles and my speed has really taken a hit. I've looked at Hal's training plan and it seems doable but I'm also mixing up running with other workout programs so my running is normally 2-3 days a week max so I would most likely stretch it out. I also recently read a book that a coworker recommended "Marathoning for Mortals" and that was really great. I'm considering a half in December but haven't committed yet...
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I used to run/elliptical 5K regularly and it took 4 months of training for me to run my first half marathon. RunnersWorld has an excellent tool called Smart Coach that can design a workout schedule based on your level of fitness and experience.