Quest Protein Bars

Options
I recently tried Quest protein bars because the guy at GNC raved about how amazingly yummy they were, and I've seen tons of rave reviews on here as well.

My husband and I tried a few different flavors. They were all okay but had a weird aftertaste. Beyond that, my husband and I both experienced weird feelings in our stomachs after eating a Quest bar, like a sick feeling. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if anyone can explain it.

Also, for those of you who love how "amazing" the Quest bars taste, are you comparing the taste just to other protein bars you've tried or to other real food in general?

Thanks!

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this brand so I can't speak to that, but as for weird after taste and stomach issues I can.

When I first started, and tried protein shakes/bars/what have you, I noticed the taste of the protein a lot and my stomach hurt. I believe it was because I was so unused to large amounts of protein my body didnt know what to do with it. As I started eating healthier, it stopped happening. Also having calcium in your system helps break protein down, and can help avoid that feeling.

As for the after taste...either I got used to what protein tastes like and I don't notice, or I have stuff without the after taste. Not sure.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I compare them to other protein bars. I find the taste to be good (nothing like a candy bar or snack bar) but not exceptional and definitely better than most protein bars I have tried. The balance of macros and especially the high fiber are what I get them for. I have one a day as my mid afternoon snack and it gets me from lunch to dinner without feeling hungry at all.

ETA: never felt any funny stomach stuff from eating them but I found if I eat more than 2 a day (had a binge once) the high fiber gave me loose BM all the next day.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I like them. I find it was trial and error on flavours, but eventually found the chocolate chip cookie dough and double chocolate chunk ones to be the best.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I like them. I find it was trial and error on flavours, but eventually found the chocolate chip cookie dough and double chocolate chunk ones to be the best.

I found the chunks to be too big in both. My personal favorites are the chocolate brownie and the chocolate peanut butter
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    They taste fine for a supplement. They are a filling high protein snack to help me fit in enough protein. I'd rather have cheesecake. That being said, you definitely can't take others word for which ones will taste good to you. I personally find the double chocolate chunk kind of disgusting, but I like the chocolate brownie. Nice thing about GNC is they usually have a pretty decent deal on buying singles if you buy 3 so you can try several flavors till you find a couple you like.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You could/probably have a sensitivity to the sugar alcohols. You could try getting used to them by starting with smaller portions and moving up to see if that does the trick.

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/what-you-need-to-know-about-sugar-alcohols
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Good point. A lot of people are sensitive to sugar alcohols. My daughter can't even use toothpaste without getting a stomach ache, unless it's one of the natural ones.

When I first bought some Quest bars at GNC the clerk suggested I eat just a half at first, if I wasn't used to high fiber.

I was underwhelmed with the taste at first, and they do have that 'protein powder' taste/aftertaste. But I decided to spring for a box to be shipped, anyway. They're pretty filling for low calories and if nuked a little bit, they're kind of good. At least I get a chocolate fix, of a sort.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Maybe try Zone bars instead? I tried Quest bars and had the same experience, so I switched to Special K and then Zone. They taste AMAZING and have like 15g of protein.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of Quest Bars. It's definitely a texture and after taste thing for me. I prefer and exclusively purchase Pure Protein Bars. 20g protein, 2g fiber. My favorite is the Chewy Chocolate Chip and the Chocolate Peanut Butter.

Try a few brands and see what tastes good for you.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I found that the P90X Peanut Butter bars have been the best for me. I'm not a Beachbody fanatic or anything but they taste the least like anything remotely good for you. :):smile:
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Could be the sweeteners used in them that are bothering your stomach?

Quest sells bars sweetened with Stevia instead of sucralose. No idea if that makes a difference, but I have seen them for sale on bodybuilding .com.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of Quest Bars. It's definitely a texture and after taste thing for me. I prefer and exclusively purchase Pure Protein Bars. 20g protein, 2g fiber. My favorite is the Chewy Chocolate Chip and the Chocolate Peanut Butter.

Try a few brands and see what tastes good for you.

These are my favorite as well. Target sells a larger box that's a great deal too. (don't order them online during the summer months, from anywhere)
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    At first I didn't care that much for Quest bars, but they've kind of grown on me. I tried a few flavors and found ones I liked. The chocolate brownie is my favorite.

One time when I was first trying them, I ate one and felt really sick to my stomach. I drank a bunch of water and the feeling went away. I think I was not used to having so much protein at one time. I also think when you have a lot of protein like that, you need to drink a lot of water. I think it's an adjustment for your body.

I don't think they taste super yummy, but they are Ok. To me, the benefit is that they give you a lot of protein and after I eat one, I'm not hungry for hours.

If I was just doing it for the taste, though, I'd rather have a candy bar or one of the other bars that have less protein.
  • arthurbekkerman
    Options
    I've also tried several flavors of quest bars but I don't think they're that good in taste as they are in macros. They certainly don't taste bad or anything but I've had some better tasting bars. But the macros are far better than any other bars I've seen on the market.

As for feeling sick after eating a quest bar, I've never had that happen. Maybe you tried an expired bar or something not sure.
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree, I was unimpressed with the Quest bars given all the hype. The texture is unappealing and they definitely have a funny aftertaste.

I'm in love with the Luna protein bars. They're marketed to women, and they're 12g protein in 170 or 180 calories, but that works for me. The mint chocolate chip and cookie dough are my favorites, but honestly, they're all really good.
  • cmwhite29
    cmwhite29 Posts: 4
    Options
    The fiber to carb ratio is absurd. Due to that, you need to drink a TON, ton of water or you won't feel great. I eat Quest bars on almost a regular basis and that is my personal experience.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Quest protein bars because the guy at GNC raved about how amazingly yummy they were, and I've seen tons of rave reviews on here as well.

My husband and I tried a few different flavors. They were all okay but had a weird aftertaste. Beyond that, my husband and I both experienced weird feelings in our stomachs after eating a Quest bar, like a sick feeling. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if anyone can explain it.

Also, for those of you who love how "amazing" the Quest bars taste, are you comparing the taste just to other protein bars you've tried or to other real food in general?

Thanks!

I think the Quest bars are disgusting and also made me sick. It's because they have whey protein in them. A lot of people don't tolerate Whey very well.

Next time buy bars that have soy isolate protein instead. I personally like Balance bars.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I find the taste is just okay. I have not tried warming them slightly like others have suggested. I like them primarily because they have a better nutrition profile than many of the others that I've tried. That being said, I also use the Pure Protein and Balance Bars. Those 2 brands have more of a candy bar taste and texture, but the nutritional profile isn't quite as good. I haven't had any "quesy" feelings with any of the brands but I've been known to have an "Iron" stomach that can tolerate a lot of different foods.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    MMMmmmmm They have got to be one of THE BEST tasting protein bars I've tried!! No stomach problems BUT lots of protein can give you gas and some bloating.

The cinnamon roll ones are really super yummy, so are the oreo ones, omg..they all are BUT pricey!!!

PS-Pure Protein bars are good ones too just letting you know.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, I am not a fan of them either. Have tried a few different ones and haven't been impressed so far. Prefer the Pure Protein bars at Target for similar macro content and less money...plus they are easy to get on a whim.