So tired of my weekly foods....need help

Options
I have a family of 5 and I seem to cook the same thing ALL the time. I have resulted back to eating out the past week just because I dont want to same stuff. I need to get back on track a loose the weight. I need some ideas. I love the crock pot but it doesnt have to be the crock pot. Semi healthy but kid friendly as well. Thanks!

Replies

• ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i make green curry with lots of vegetables and you could mess with how much curry paste you put in ( if the kids dont like spicy).
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I love making burritos or Chipotle style bowls. The ingredients can be tailored to what you have around. Brown rice, yellow rice, quinoa, black beans, refried beans, pinto beans, different types of salsa, cheese, maybe guacamole, steak, chicken, tofu, etc. You can make teriyaki bowls too to with carrots, broccoli, chicken or tofu and your choice of rice.

It gets easy to get in a rut, so I find that bowls can help keep things varied.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Have a look through some recipe books and have a look on line. BBC Good food website is a great source of inspiration. Ask your MFP friends for recipes or have a look through people's diary's.

I love looking for new things to cook, but I do have my staples too which can get a bit boring. I think because of the hot weather here in the UK we ended up literally living on salad and chicken. I got to the point where if I saw it on my plate again for dinner I was going to scream!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like no cook meals in the summer time. My go to right now is a southwest bean salad.

Can of Black beans (rinsed and drained)
    Can of Sweet Corn (rinsed and drained)
    one small onion chopped
    1 Red bell pepper
    3 limes (juiced)
    1tbs cumin
    salt and pepper to taste

This mix goes well in tortillas, on eggs scrambled omeltes whatever, in salads as dressing, as a side to anything, with rice, as a snack. Its lovely and easy
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Inspired by The Lego Movie, my husband and daughter asked that we start Taco Tuesday. The thing I like about it is everybody can make their taco like they prefer. I did an oven fajita recipe that is basically strips of chicken breast and sliced onions and green peppers mixed with taco seasoning under the broiler then had lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, and guacamole.

I like to look around on pintrest for new things to cook.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/quick-and-healthy

There are lots of things on here for you to try, and they have other low calorie sections too for meals between 200-400 calories etc
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I need some ideas too! Commenting so I can follow this!
  • mrsdmiller74
    mrsdmiller74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    my go to is skinnytaste.com. I looooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeee it. That is how I found out about the shrimp and grits, which is actually pureed cauliflower, shrimp, and turkey bacon. The chicken fettchine , the creamy grapes with pecans, weight watchers cream cheese and yogurt or whip cream. I can go on and on.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

You can search by categories (low carb/gluten free/etc)

It's my go to!!
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Pintrest has been my friend for finding and trying new healthier meals, they even have a whole list of crockpot meals that are healthy and delightful. Also, I hate cooking and cleaning the mess, so I try to find one pot meals.

This is my GO to meal on a cold day or when I am running low on funds....it is wonderful and one bowl usually keeps me pretty full for a few hours (it makes a lot and you can play with the ingredients) You can also freeze it and use it when you want or need to.

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Weight Watchers® Old Points: 3 pts • PointsPlus: 5 pts
    Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

Ingredients:
    •1 onion, chopped
    •1 16-oz can black beans
    •1 16-oz can kidney beans
    •1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    •10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    •2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    •1 packet taco seasoning
    •1 tbsp cumin
    •1 tbsp chili powder
    •24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    •chili peppers, chopped (optional)
    •1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
    Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. A half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low-fat cheese and sour cream.
  • Kelly2300
    Kelly2300 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like no cook meals in the summer time. My go to right now is a southwest bean salad.

Can of Black beans (rinsed and drained)
    Can of Sweet Corn (rinsed and drained)
    one small onion chopped
    1 Red bell pepper
    3 limes (juiced)
    1tbs cumin
    salt and pepper to taste

This mix goes well in tortillas, on eggs scrambled omeltes whatever, in salads as dressing, as a side to anything, with rice, as a snack. Its lovely and easy

Do you know the calories and serving size for this?