Quest Protein Bars

Options

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I've not tried the bars. I know they're very popular but they have a Chinese ingredient in them that I'm a bit afraid of. It could be simply the protein in the bar. Some people get upset stomachs from some types of whey protein. I myself use egg protein powder. But certainly don't eat anymore of them. There are other good bars to consider. I eat Larabars, which have an A rating with Fooducate as do Think Thin bars and both bars are excellent.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I hope you didn't eat ALL the quest bars and then had a stomach ache :laugh:

I personally like the taste of Quest bars in general. There are certain flavors I don't care for at all, like apple pie, but can stomach them. But chocolate chip cookie dough? Oh yes, I would prefer that over other foods for both taste and protein/macros. When comparing to other protein bars, they are better tasting and less chalky IMO. But I've also had friends complain about the taste, so they are not for everyone I guess.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I suggest you avoid bars with soy in them as soy creates estrogen and that in turn can be cancerous. You may have heard of estrogen dominate breast cancer. Moreover, soy usually is GMO and that's a very bad thing and something you want to avoid. And do watch the carb and sugar content in bars. Most are merely candy bars. Anything over about 6 grams of sugar is really too much.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,500 Member
    Options
    I eat the Luna cookie dough (favorite) and mint ones as well. 12g protein, 3g fiber, 5g fat and 170 cals. I would really like to find one with a higher protein to calorie ratio, but I enjoy the texture of the Luna ones, especially cold from the fridge. I use these as an on the go breakfast or quick snack.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My experience was something like this:

First bite: Wow, this is pretty damn tasty!
    Second bite: Mmmm...still pretty good!
    Third bite: Eh...kind of a funny after taste, but I can deal.
    Fourth bite: I'm almost halfway through it. I can finish it.
    Fifth bite: I'm spitting this *kitten* out.

It was the cookies and cream flavor. It just wasn't for me.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I dig the banana nut muffin flavor, cookie dough, and the peanut butter ones, but everyone's taste is different.

I would start off by eating some Haribo Sugar Free Gummi Bears instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Bears-Sugar-Free/dp/B000EVQWKC

You can't go wrong with those...
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    i like Clif peanut butter bars once in a great while

also you could make these energy bars at home

dont but them at Gnc- they jack the prices up
    and at the grocery store they are 1 dollar
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate brownie quest bars. I put them in the microwave for 15 seconds. I like the low carb and how protein.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Quest protein bars because the guy at GNC raved about how amazingly yummy they were, and I've seen tons of rave reviews on here as well.

My husband and I tried a few different flavors. They were all okay but had a weird aftertaste. Beyond that, my husband and I both experienced weird feelings in our stomachs after eating a Quest bar, like a sick feeling. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if anyone can explain it.

Also, for those of you who love how "amazing" the Quest bars taste, are you comparing the taste just to other protein bars you've tried or to other real food in general?

Thanks!

Quest bars have additives to raise the fiber content to the ridiculously high amount that it is, and not everyone can digest/process them so well.

My favorite flavor is the Cookies n Cream. However I don't buy Quest bars. I find that they tend to be too tough/chewy for on-the-go use. You have to warm them up in the microwave to get them soft enough to chew, and if you have access to a kitchen, why are you eating a bar and not an actual meal? O.o
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I tried the quest peanut butter cups and it was like eating dust. YUCK!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love the coconut cashew ones, but I do warm them up first. I like to use them at work when I only get 15 minutes and I need something quick and yummy. I also had a coupon at GNC and they were on sale so I got a box for only $10.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced any negative effects, but I would imagine that if you are someone who isn't used to that much fiber and protein at once, it could cause some discomfort. I've tried almost every flavor and I think the best ones are chocolate chip cookie dough, double chocolate, apple pie, and white chocolate raspberry. All are MUCH better when placed in the microwave for 8-10 seconds and topped with peanut butter :)
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I tried the quest peanut butter cups and it was like eating dust. YUCK!

I thought the same thing!!!
  • rachelliptic
    rachelliptic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Quest bars source protein from whey, which is a byproduct of the curdling of milk to produce cheese. In other words, whey is dense with lactose. Most of the lactose, fat and water content is then removed in the process of creating what's known as "whey protein isolate", the direct protein in Quest bars and many protein powders. Whey protein isolate contains about 90% pure protein by weight, with minimal lactose and cholesterol left over. But for those with sensitivity or low tolerance to lactose, even the trace amounts found in Quest bars MIGHT prove problematic and MIGHT be the culprit for those of you reporting nausea. Just my two cents.

Personally, I have no issue with lactose/dairy and never have felt sick after a Quest bar.

For those who aren't tolerating whey but want a high-quality, risk-free (i.e. not soy) protein supplement, look into bars that source their protein from peas (Vega makes nice ones) or sprouted brown rice (I like Squarebar).

Hope that helped!
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I don't notice an aftertaste but you do need to drink a bunch of water with them! I usually drink at LEAST 1 bottle sometimes 2, if not I start feeling bloated. I'm guessing that might be what you were feeling.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've had no issues with Quest bars, they're great. The macros and the flavors are fantastic. I'm buying a box next supplement run.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Love them and compare them to real food!! The choc chip cookie dough one is like opening a tube of that Pillsbury dough logs and eating that sucker... yum... AND microwave it and I'm in heaven!!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I suggest you avoid bars with soy in them as soy creates estrogen and that in turn can be cancerous. You may have heard of estrogen dominate breast cancer. Moreover, soy usually is GMO and that's a very bad thing and something you want to avoid. And do watch the carb and sugar content in bars. Most are merely candy bars. Anything over about 6 grams of sugar is really too much.
    :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • aprilwine11
    aprilwine11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can eat them if I microwave them for about 10 seconds, but I would rather have a protein shake. That said, they are a handy supplement as long as you are not sensitive to sugar alcahols and can find a flavor you like. They are a bit sweet for me - but most bars are.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    You could/probably have a sensitivity to the sugar alcohols. You could try getting used to them by starting with smaller portions and moving up to see if that does the trick.

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/what-you-need-to-know-about-sugar-alcohols

Yep, could be the sugar alcohols or it could just be the amount of protein if you're not used to it. I had quite a few digestive issues when I started increasing my protein, but they've subsided with time. As for the sugar alchohols... they are what they are. I'm not bothered by them unless I do consume excessive amounts, but you might not be so lucky. My boyfriend swears he gets the runs when he eats sugar free stuff, but he only does when he actually knows he's eating sugar free. I just stopped telling him.