LADIES: your period and working out?

Options
crfeen
crfeen Posts: 85 Member
Hi all,
I have my period today (ugh) and I have ZERO motivation to work out. I feel like **** and I can't imagine doing anything other than leaving work and going home to sleep and read. I know this is bad but I'm in pain. Normally id have no problem giving myself one day off, but I was on vacation all of last week and I ate crap and didn't work out almost at all. I don't know what to do. Usually my period leaves me like this for 2-3 days. Also, I will mention that every food makes me want to throw up on my period, so I don't really eat much at all. I need help ladies. What would you/do you/ have you done with dilemmas like this?

Thanks

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Usually in that type of situation I just get in some activity that is comfortable for me, but is pretty standard/easy not "exercise" type of stuff. In fact today's my worst day of my period...so tonight rather than do anything strenuous I plan on straightening up my house, doing some laundry, and going to 5-6 stores to browse home décor stuff. It's not "exercise" but honestly it will make me feel better by getting a tiny bit of activity and not focusing on the crampy feelings.
  • Lindzpnc
    Lindzpnc Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ^^^ SHOPPING!!!!! even if money is thight :) it would help me hehhehe and still keep you moving.

I hear you I get really really heavy and painful ones. funny thing last month I got my first period after not having it for 15 months (I had a baby in Jan) and it came back full force probably worse than I ever felt.. on day two I did a spin class and although it felt gross the cramps and back pain were def eased up... It might have been all psychological

im not saying you should do that but just be careful because a week can turn into two and easily make you fall off the wagon here.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Exercise while on your period is actually really good. It helps to relieve some of the symptoms. I have a hard time motivating myself to go at that time too, but I always feel SO much better afterwards. Just take it easy to begin with, see how your body feels.
  • greeneyes972
    Options
    this last month I worked out for the first time on my period, and it actually helped me feel a lot better. Even just a walk or something to get you moving might help!
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I find exercising actually eases the pain, even if it's just a few bodyweight exercises or a walk. I know that's not the case for everyone, but maybe try going for a short walk and see how you feel? It may help!
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I exercise.
    I know the feeling - dreadful cramps, sweats, belly looks seven months pregnant -but honestly, exercise does REALLY help and you can do it.
    If you really just want to curl up, then no big deal. you'll be right again in a couple days :)
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Me tooooooo...........woke up all set to bike to work and get back at it after a weekend that was a bit "off". Got out of bed, got ready to go and immediately climbed into the car and drove to work. It's day 2 of a bad cycle and I just can't today. Mentally I know I'll feel better once I get moving, but darnit....I don't want to!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The first two full days of my period, I can't really do any kind of workouts. I would love to, but any kind of activity outside of simple living just makes me feel awful--nausea, cramps, migraines, etc. Not only that, if I'm active, my symptoms get WORSE (ended up in the ER once) and they stay longer. That being said, I'm working on making sure that I hop back on the bandwagon when the period pain subsides.

You know your body best--listen to it. It will tell you if you can be active or if you need rest. Either way, feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • Ninjaninja1
    Ninjaninja1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I get super hungry days before its going to start. I find if I train during, that I have less symptoms and it ends faster! I sleep like a rock and actually lose a couple of pounds the week following. Water weight I'm guessing.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    I usually take a couple days off. Maybe exercise would help, but due to other reasons I can't use tampons without pain so I am stuck with pads. And my cycle can be very heavy for about 2 days. I feel like crud and I feel gross.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My own experience with TTOM is just as horrible if not worse!! I have heavy days, where I am literally dying curled up on the couch with a blanket and pillows in a fetal position popping prescription ibuprofen to numb the pain. In the beginning of my weight loss journey I would totally skip the gym!! There was NO way you would catch me at the gym while my "friend" was in town!! However, I've found that although my periods are painful, I get through the gym a little better each time. I don't do the jumping and bouncing stuff that I would normally do but lifting, working out, walking helps incredibly! I hope you find that balance where you're able to do something without causing yourself further discomfort, I feel your pain!! :o)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps with period pain. NOT with ovulation pain but the actuaul period pain.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I workout hard, regardless of day or time of month it is....:wink:
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    it totally depends on the day! sometimes i will feel ok to workout, maybe i take it a bit easier. sometimes i will take a walk instead, or a gentle yoga class. and sometimes i just give myself a pass. I think it's ok to let yourself skip a workout if you are feeling like you just want to curl up in a ball somewhere. but maybe try a non-strenuous work out at home and see if you can do it...sometimes a little stretching does make me feel better.
    interesting fact: i used to do weight lifting, and on the days when i was on my period, i could not lift as much as i could on other days...like noticably weaker. then after my period, it would go back to normal, and i could lift more again. so i take this to mean that it is totally fine to take it easy on those days, as my body is putting energy into other things.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I just keep working out. I did my first powerlifting competition during my period. Other then having to run to the bathroom a couple extra times, wasn't a big deal
  • thatredheadedBAMF
    thatredheadedBAMF Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I definitely keep going, even if I can't complete my usual workout. Something is better than nothing, always!

The week before I really struggle with weakness; my legs feel like lead and I breath heavy at a MUCH lower heart rate than usual. I'll have one bad day like this, then my next workout will be great, then another bad day. Does anyone else get this?

I get cramps and all of that stuff too but as long as I don't have that weak feeling, I keep going like normal.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yoga :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have my period today (ugh) and I have ZERO motivation to work out. I feel like **** and I can't imagine doing anything other than leaving work and going home to sleep and read. I know this is bad but I'm in pain. Normally id have no problem giving myself one day off, but I was on vacation all of last week and I ate crap and didn't work out almost at all. I don't know what to do. Usually my period leaves me like this for 2-3 days. Also, I will mention that every food makes me want to throw up on my period, so I don't really eat much at all. I need help ladies. What would you/do you/ have you done with dilemmas like this?

Thanks

zero motivation to work out isn't the same as incapacitating period pain.

so figure out if you really can't move- or you just don't FEEL like moving. Because working out and success is completely separate from motivation- most people fail because they lose motivation and they just don't "feel" like doing it any more. Successful people go- no matter what they feel like.

Modify as you need but don't just quit because you don't FEEL like it. That's rubbish.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I nut up and go to the gym anyways.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    this last month I worked out for the first time on my period, and it actually helped me feel a lot better. Even just a walk or something to get you moving might help!

Agreed. If you can make yourself work out, you'll actually feel better.