Quest Protein Bars

Options
13»

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Also, for those of you who love how "amazing" the Quest bars taste, are you comparing the taste just to other protein bars you've tried or to other real food in general?

Other protein and energy bars. I've never really noticed the protein taste, more the sweetener aftertaste, and have gotten used to that. Some of the bars, such as the chocolate brownie and the cinnamon roll, taste better to me if I warm them in the microwave for 10 or 15 seconds.

I haven't had any trouble with feeling queasy or whatever--but I also took it slow at first, not eating a whole bar a day, and not every day. My teenaged daughter says they make her stomach feel funny; my teenaged son doesn't, but found out that he needs to limit himself to one bar a day, or he'll be spending time in the bathroom.

I agree with @47Jacqueline--the so-called peanut butter cups are awful. I split one into quarters for the whole family to try, and none of us liked it. We ended up throwing the other one out.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to heat my Quest bars up before eating. There are some pretty cool recipes that use Quest Bars. But listen, if you don't like them, don't eat them. Find a bar that you like and go with it. Forget popular opinion and use what is right for you and your goals.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was traveling last week, and due to a 'protein emergency' and a GNC store across the parking lot, I finally tried my first Quest bars. Very tasty, if you are into chewy candy bars..... So many different flavors, and as many labels to read, because all seem to have different macros listed. Compared to Luna and Zone bars, the hight protein and fiber, as well as the low carb/sugar, is really what I have been looking for. The high price...not so much.....
    And like a previous poster stated....best with a bottle of water, due to the protein.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I am sort of obsessed with Quest bars. I eat 4 per week as a pre-lifting snack. When I first tried them, I absolutely hated them and wondered what the hell everyone was raving about. Then I found out that a lot of people heat them up - once I started microwaving them for 15-20 seconds and eating immediately, that helped with the texture issue A LOT. The next hurdle was finding flavors I liked. The first two I tried tasted gross to me even though they're really popular flavors and they sounded tasty (Cinnamon Roll and Coconut Cashew). Next I tried Chocolate Brownie and found it to be WAYYYY better than the other two. I thought that was my signature flavor until I tried Double Chocolate Chunk, which I absolutely love. Next I tried the ever-popular Cookies and Cream and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, which were also amazingly good. I tried White Chocolate Raspberry and wasn't too impressed, but it's not bad. Then I tried Apple Pie and FELL IN LOVE! I could eat one for all three meals - so so so good. I haven't tried any others, but I rotate between my 4-5 favorites each week.

They're definitely the best tasting protein bar I've ever had that I'd actually consider a quality protein bar (in other words, Special K bars don't count), but I haven't tried Pure Protein or anything like that. I probably won't try any others since I love Quest bars so much. It's just like any other food, though - some people are going to love it and some people are going to hate it. They just might not be for you. Definitely try heating them up before moving onto something else, though.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the after taste of the Quest bars I'd suggest looking for something else that better suites you, there's tons of other good protein supplements out there. Remember you don't necessarily need to take a protein supplement if you can get it though your food. I'm using the IIFYM method so I'll pop a shake only when I need it to help me meet my protein goal for the day. Try adding more chicken or salmon into your diet when you cook at home.

I like muscle milk protein shakes, but 170 calories and 18 grams of protein isn't too bad. There's better protein products out there that will give you more protein and less than 170 calories, but I'm lazy and consider the muscle milk I drink a treat.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I don't notice an aftertaste but you do need to drink a bunch of water with them! I usually drink at LEAST 1 bottle sometimes 2, if not I start feeling bloated. I'm guessing that might be what you were feeling.

This is my experience too.

Honestly I've tried most of the flavors and I haven't found one yet that I'd say wasn't good.

I'm quite fond of the vanilla almond and white chocolate raspberry ones. Cookies & Cream, cookie dough, peanut butter supreme and cinnamon roll are also good.

Don't go in expecting the texture/consistency of a granola bar or energy bar - the best way I can describe them is sort of a soft tootsie roll consistency (chewy, almost taffy-like).

I almost always have to down a glass or two of water after eating one as they do make me thirsty.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love them. My fave is the PB and jelly bc I have a serious addiction to PB; however, protein bars in general are an acquired taste, oh I digress, anything w/protein derivative is different tasting, but I think you acclimate. I like Quest bc it's got some good stats and 20 g protein is decent for a 200 cal bar and also helps kill sugar cravings for me.
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like them. I eat a half of one almost everyday for a snack at work. My favorite is the vanilla almond (it tastes like nougat). I heat it up for about 15 seconds and put a tbsp of PB on top. So amazingly delicious.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    IMO they taste a lot better if you microwave them for 15 seconds
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    One of the sweeteners used in Quest protein bars, isomaltooligosaccharide, is a prebiotic fiber. Just like any other fiber, you have to build up the amount you consume slowly over time to avoid mild intestinal discomfort. Quest protein bars are a fiber bomb (one bar contains almost 50% of your RDA for fiber). When I first started eating Quest bars, I could only eat about a third of a bar at a time and it would take me all day to finish one bar. Now, I eat two bars a day.

I've tried several of the Quest protein bars: cookies & cream, chocolate chip cookie dough, chocolate peanut butter, chocolate brownie, cinnamon roll, double chocolate chunk, peanut butter supreme, and banana nut muffin. Out of all of them, I prefer the cinnamon roll and double chocolate chunk. I think out of the ones I've tried, my least favorite were the chocolate brownie (it was like a brick), the peanut butter supreme, and the chocolate peanut butter (it was more chocolate than peanut butter).

I tried a Pure Protein bar a few weeks ago because I was looking for a protein bar that didn't have so much fiber. I tried the deluxe chocolate. I took two bites of it and then promptly threw it into the trash. The actual bar resembled nothing like the picture on the package (it was more like a block of hard fudge than a Snickers bar) and it didn't even taste like chocolate. It tasted like a fake chocolate (like carob or something). Plus, I was less than pleased with the number of net carbs it had. All of the protein bars, other than Quest, have too many net carbs for me.

On the other hand, the Quest double chocolate chunk, my favorite Quest bar, is probably too rich for a lot of people but it's great for people who love intense chocolate. I would live on them if I could.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are awesome after warming them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
  • ktherinerussell
    Options
  • ktherinerussell
    Options
    You could/probably have a sensitivity to the sugar alcohols. You could try getting used to them by starting with smaller portions and moving up to see if that does the trick.

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/what-you-need-to-know-about-sugar-alcohols

The 3 flavors I tried did not contain sugar alcohols. As far as I know, the only sugar substitute Quest uses is Erythritol (am I spelling that right?) but none of the bars I tried had that additive in them.

I did go back to GNC and get a few different flavors from the ones I first tried to see if there is any difference. Thanks everyone for your input!
  • ktherinerussell
    Options
    Maybe try Zone bars instead? I tried Quest bars and had the same experience, so I switched to Special K and then Zone. They taste AMAZING and have like 15g of protein.

Thanks! Are Zone bars at GNC as well or can I find them someplace else?
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love Think Thin protein bars, you can find them at Target for like $9 for a 10 count box.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You could/probably have a sensitivity to the sugar alcohols. You could try getting used to them by starting with smaller portions and moving up to see if that does the trick.

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/what-you-need-to-know-about-sugar-alcohols
    The 3 flavors I tried did not contain sugar alcohols. As far as I know, the only sugar substitute Quest uses is Erythritol (am I spelling that right?) but none of the bars I tried had that additive in them.

Seven flavors of Quest bars are sweetened with a combination of erythritol (a sugar alcohol) and stevia, a natural sweetener. The other nine are sweetened with sucralose (Splenda) and lo han guo, another natural sweetener. The prebiotic fiber in the bars is also somewhat sweet-tasting.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can't eat them because of the high fiber content. My stomach is really sensitive to fiber. :-/ My daughter loves them however (although she did say you have to acquire a taste for them).
  • ryanklix
    ryanklix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor and the cookies and cream to a lesser degree. Sometimes I spread a tablespoon of all natural power protein peanut butter on top of the bars. It tastes amazing!