Inaccurate Scales/Weight Loss

Options
Hello,

Does anyone else have a problem with inaccurate scales? The first scale I bought was a $25 dollar basic digital Health-O-Meter scale from Wal-Mart. It was the WORST. One time I stepped on the scale, and it gave me a great chuckle saying I was 90lbs!!! Now, I KNOW your weight fluctuates hour to hour, day to day, so it's truly hard to get a completely accurate reading in the first place, but it seems like every scale I step on has a different reading!

I went to the hospital a week ago, and got weighed by the bed, at 185lbs, (the same as my SW that I took on June 10th!), I was really disappointed because I had completely changed my diet this past month, along with some moderate exercise, and supposedly I hadn't even lost a lb? Now, that first scale WAS inaccurate, but it never weighed me at anything over 185, so I trusted that first weigh in was at least semi-accurate.

I took back the scale to Wal-Mart and traded it out for a Glass Taylor scale that was over $30, because I tested it in store and it weighed me at 185 like the hospital bed did. I went to the hospital because I was sick, they released me saying nothing was wrong, but I ended back in the hospital feeling crappy only two days later. I got weighed on an actual scale, and the lady said the transfer from the Kilo's to lbs was 180 lbs. So either in the matter of two days I lost 5lbs from being sick (obviously possible), or their scales fluctuate and are inaccurate as much as the rest of them.

Anyways, needless to say lately the Taylor Scale has been weighing me anywhere from 174-181. Before I changed my diet, I was CONSTANTLY eating, I'd eat like 5 slices of pizza, a whole bag of chips, soda, etc. Since then I've been using the myfitnesspal tracker, taking pictures of the barcodes of what I eat, etc and have been eating USUALLY around 1200-1600 calories a day. According to an online calculator, after all my info, it estimates I burn around 2,500 calories a day naturally! That being said if I eat 1,500 calories a day, I would be burning at least 1,000 calories a day. 1 lb=3,500 calories. That means I should AT least burn one calorie a week (which I guess would make 174-181 a possibility.) I also live in Arizona, one of the hottest states, and I go swimming at least once a week, and I work to and from work (its a mile a way) at least a few times a week. So, there's some moderate exercise involved. I know that the more weight you lose, the more your numbers change, and eventually my body will not burn 2,500 calories naturally, and that ill need to increase my exercise and eating habits to lose more weight.

So, I guess my 1st question is- What scales do YOU use? How accurate are they? And what do you think is when you get your most accurate reading? (some say do it first thing in the morning before you eat, other say weigh yourself after breakfast, some people say you need your scale up against the wall, others say it doesn't matter as long as it's a hard leveled surface)

My 2nd question is- since my weight fluctuates from 174-181, what do you think is most likely the most accurate weight? Given the information above, and also given that over this month I've had a few cheat days, I had four days where I was eating but not anything over 500-800 calories a day, and the rest of the time it's been mainly healthy eating within 1200-1600 calories.

My last question is- Given off of your weight loss, if anyone could lend me any tricks or tips that they think will help me really lose weight, it'd be appreciated!

Replies

• quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My scales start freaking out as soon as they start getting low on battery. Getting stuck on a number or just giving me a different number 10 seconds later. I say first thing in the morning right after using the bathroom is the best way.

My friend has this one and likes it - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L6NTHU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3XVB4V6WKOSL&coliid=I7ZV4PXXEE09Z - no issues thus far. And he said this one corresponds to the one at the gym. This is the one that I'm planning to buy ASAP.

Mostly I've just been ignoring the scale though - my muscles retain water after working out and it fluctuates up and down, and with a bad scale, it's more discouraging. I just know if I eat correctly and work out, things are going well. I weigh every month now, but maybe will go back to once a week after buying a better scale.
  • remieres93
    remieres93 Posts: 45
    Options
    My scales start freaking out as soon as they start getting low on battery. Getting stuck on a number or just giving me a different number 10 seconds later. I say first thing in the morning right after using the bathroom is the best way.

My friend has this one and likes it - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L6NTHU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3XVB4V6WKOSL&coliid=I7ZV4PXXEE09Z - no issues thus far. And he said this one corresponds to the one at the gym. This is the one that I'm planning to buy ASAP.

Mostly I've just been ignoring the scale though - my muscles retain water after working out and it fluctuates up and down, and with a bad scale, it's more discouraging. I just know if I eat correctly and work out, things are going well. I weigh every month now, but maybe will go back to once a week after buying a better scale.

Thank you! I like those types of scales that give you the BMI calculation AND the weight. And maybe that's just it, maybe you have to spend upwards $50 to get a decent scale. Quanity/Quality.
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm sure scales are inaccurate to a point. I am less interested in the number and more interested in the downward trend that weighing at similar times on the same day of the week is producing.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I've been told that the only truly accurate scales are the kind the doc uses with the arm and the moving weights that you scoot back and forth. That being said, I have an Omron body composition scale, and while the body fat, muscle mass, etc. does fluctuate depending on factors like hydration, the weight is consistent.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-510W-Composition-Monitor-Scale/dp/B001IV61J4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1405028932&sr=8-12&keywords=body+fat+scale
  • remieres93
    Options
    I'm sure scales are inaccurate to a point. I am less interested in the number and more interested in the downward trend that weighing at similar times on the same day of the week is producing.

For clarification, do you mean that you weigh yourself around the same time everyday, and you like seeing the difference every day, or?
  • remieres93
    Options
    I've been told that the only truly accurate scales are the kind the doc uses with the arm and the moving weights that you scoot back and forth. That being said, I have an Omron body composition scale, and while the body fat, muscle mass, etc. does fluctuate depending on factors like hydration, the weight is consistent.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-510W-Composition-Monitor-Scale/dp/B001IV61J4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1405028932&sr=8-12&keywords=body+fat+scale

I want to guess Omron isn't American, or that you're not from the US? I've never heard or seen anything like that. (And I assumed foreign based on your description of a doctor scale, LOL, sorry if I'm wrong)
    I'm noticing most good scales are costly, so maybe I should just invest in something more accurate, and read some reviews.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

I want to guess Omron isn't American, or that you're not from the US? I've never heard or seen anything like that. (And I assumed foreign based on your description of a doctor scale, LOL, sorry if I'm wrong)
    I'm noticing most good scales are costly, so maybe I should just invest in something more accurate, and read some reviews.

I'm in the U.S. It's a very popular brand for body composition scales, but I haven't seen them in stores, only online. Amazon has the best price I've seen.
  • KeepGoingTommy
    KeepGoingTommy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So I have been struggling with widely varying weigh-in numbers with the cheap MyWeigh XL550 Digital Scale that I use. After researching why, I came to the conclusion that it has more to do with an uneven floor in the rental we live in (nothing square or level - anywhere) than my own weight fluctuating. I used an old folding tv table top made of wood to even out and placed the scale on it. I got the same weight in 3 separate places so I have come to the conclusion that the problem is resolved. Unfortunately, the scale has listed me as 3.5 pounds heavier than I previously listed. That is okay. All I want is consistency. Now that I seem to have that, I can concentrate on working harder. Starting weight was 537 - Current weight 476.8 - 60.2 pounds gone.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think the number the scale says matters less than the overall trend. For example, if I put my scale in one spot in my bathroom, it's always a higher number than if I shift it two feet over. It could be the floor tilting for all I know...I make sure to put it in the same spot every time and use that particular scale. I also know I'm a different weight on my bf's home scale than I am on mine...so I stick with the consistency of my own scale in it's perfect spot and I go with the overall downward trend.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Does anyone else have a problem with inaccurate scales? The first scale I bought was a $25 dollar basic digital Health-O-Meter scale from Wal-Mart. It was the WORST. One time I stepped on the scale, and it gave me a great chuckle saying I was 90lbs!!! Now, I KNOW your weight fluctuates hour to hour, day to day, so it's truly hard to get a completely accurate reading in the first place, but it seems like every scale I step on has a different reading!

I went to the hospital a week ago, and got weighed by the bed, at 185lbs, (the same as my SW that I took on June 10th!), I was really disappointed because I had completely changed my diet this past month, along with some moderate exercise, and supposedly I hadn't even lost a lb? Now, that first scale WAS inaccurate, but it never weighed me at anything over 185, so I trusted that first weigh in was at least semi-accurate.

I took back the scale to Wal-Mart and traded it out for a Glass Taylor scale that was over $30, because I tested it in store and it weighed me at 185 like the hospital bed did. I went to the hospital because I was sick, they released me saying nothing was wrong, but I ended back in the hospital feeling crappy only two days later. I got weighed on an actual scale, and the lady said the transfer from the Kilo's to lbs was 180 lbs. So either in the matter of two days I lost 5lbs from being sick (obviously possible), or their scales fluctuate and are inaccurate as much as the rest of them.

Anyways, needless to say lately the Taylor Scale has been weighing me anywhere from 174-181. Before I changed my diet, I was CONSTANTLY eating, I'd eat like 5 slices of pizza, a whole bag of chips, soda, etc. Since then I've been using the myfitnesspal tracker, taking pictures of the barcodes of what I eat, etc and have been eating USUALLY around 1200-1600 calories a day. According to an online calculator, after all my info, it estimates I burn around 2,500 calories a day naturally! That being said if I eat 1,500 calories a day, I would be burning at least 1,000 calories a day. 1 lb=3,500 calories. That means I should AT least burn one calorie a week (which I guess would make 174-181 a possibility.) I also live in Arizona, one of the hottest states, and I go swimming at least once a week, and I work to and from work (its a mile a way) at least a few times a week. So, there's some moderate exercise involved. I know that the more weight you lose, the more your numbers change, and eventually my body will not burn 2,500 calories naturally, and that ill need to increase my exercise and eating habits to lose more weight.

So, I guess my 1st question is- What scales do YOU use? How accurate are they? And what do you think is when you get your most accurate reading? (some say do it first thing in the morning before you eat, other say weigh yourself after breakfast, some people say you need your scale up against the wall, others say it doesn't matter as long as it's a hard leveled surface)

My 2nd question is- since my weight fluctuates from 174-181, what do you think is most likely the most accurate weight? Given the information above, and also given that over this month I've had a few cheat days, I had four days where I was eating but not anything over 500-800 calories a day, and the rest of the time it's been mainly healthy eating within 1200-1600 calories.

My last question is- Given off of your weight loss, if anyone could lend me any tricks or tips that they think will help me really lose weight, it'd be appreciated!

I have that same cheap scale from walmart and it has worked fine for me for years now.
  • katiewilsonxo
    katiewilsonxo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My scales are fairly accurate (bought just for the nice design on a discount website so I'm not sure of the brand) but I have a 10lb weight that i use to check the accuracy if it shows that i've lost weight. You weight should be fairly consistent if you weigh yourself at the same time of day with the same conditions (no shoes, in underwear etc).

Like other people have said, it's not the exact number that matters, it's the overall downward trend (weight varying between 175-180 instead of 178-185 shows a loss)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately in my experience and I have quite a bit since i've lost a lot of weight and weigh every day 1 or two weight in's isn't really enough to judge a scales accuracy. Obviously your first pair where rubbish. But honestly I have seen myself lose 7lb in a day and gain up to 4lb these are just my numbers but you should not underestimate the degree to which body-weight can and does vary all the time. For women there is also their time of the month which I understand affects the scales quite a bit. Honestly most scales are reasonable accurate. And it doesn't really matter what actual number they display. You need one that it it's inaccurate is at least consistently inaccurate. You are trying to track a downward trend rather than an actual set number :)

By the way are you absolutely sure that the first scale you stepped on wasn't set to kilo's? I mean if it was that might explain the 90 reading. It also suggests a decent downward trend. since 90 kilos is about 198lb's
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is scales, by themselves, sucks. I am not surprised that you got a different number on each scale you used because again scales suck. Personally, if I couldn’t find a good one at the thrift store then I wouldn’t pay more than $10 for one at Walmart or some other cheap place. The scale doesn’t measure body composition (fat, water, muscles, etc.) so it doesn’t serve my purpose to buy an expensive one. My suggestion is to weigh yourself under the same conditions each week (same day, same scale, same room, same time, same place on floor, etc.) then look for a trend every 4 weeks or so. In addition, take measurements because you could see a drop in size even if you don’t see a drop on the scale. I wouldn’t worry about the hospital scale because the time, place, and conditions are different than at home when most people weigh themselves first thing in the morning and naked.

What are you doing to burn 2500 calories a day? How are you tracking the calories burn? This does not compute for a person who consumes 1200-1600 calories per day. This seems to be where your problem resides. You are overestimating your calories burned.

Here is a thread with very good info to help you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I am less interested in the number and more interested in the downward trend that weighing at similar times on the same day of the week is producing.

^^ This
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The glass scale I own measures weight and body fat, along with keeping track of Hieght/gender/age too. I can't remeber the brand, but it was a bit expensive.
    I always measure before I eat in the morning, because I don't always eat the same thing ( I think weighing after breakfast will give yo a few lbs difference). As for the floor- I jst lay it down on the flat tiles in the bathroom
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am less interested in the number and more interested in the downward trend that weighing at similar times on the same day of the week is producing.

^^ This

I agree with this too.

My mom and I both bought the same scale from a local pharmacy, I have no idea of its brand because it has their logo and phone number displayed across the glass...anyway, it's digital but no frills and cost like four bucks in their promotion a year and a half ago...with a supposed "retail value of $39" or something like that. Works fine. My mom has laminate (faux wood) flooring in the room where she keeps her scale in her house and I weigh about 4 lb less on hers than I do on mine at home, which is kept on a linoleum-type surface in my laundry room. At doctor's offices and on the super accurate scales at my workplace, I weigh the same as I do at my house give or take a percentage of a pound.

Honestly what matters to me is the downward trend, and on a sillier note being in the right "bracket" such as 170s versus 180s and so on. Not a huge deal, but it would bug me if I suddenly was back in the last "bracket".

OP, I could be totally off base with this...but are you a person who weighs at all different times of the day and night, before and after eating, etc? Because when and if I weigh myself at any time other than first thing in the AM after using the restroom and before eating or drinking, my weight can fluctuate by about 5 lb up & down in any given week.