Puffy hands

Options
2»

Replies

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I do this some times as well. I make sure to pump my arms and sometimes raise them over my head and wiggle my fingers...

^this could also be why if I am running 8-10 miles I don't get it... I run with my hands above my head dancing like I'm in the club on the prowl at least whenever flux or skrillex beats come flying through the ear buds..

.. could be just a circulation thing
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find it lessens when I walk with my arms slightly bent. :-)
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I always thought it had something to do with elevation changes as well. I usually get this during hikes, or trail running where I have constant elevation changes.

I clicked on this thread hoping to get some more information but it sounds like most people are just guessing as well.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a lot in the Summer - for some reason heat makes me retain water and my hands get super puffy. So much so that my MD has me on a very low-dose water pill for the hot months so I don't completely swell up like a balloon.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have been told it is caused by your body trying to cool itself down. And i have noticed it does it to me when i get really hot and as i am cooling down they slowly go back to normal. I also try to hold something cool when i am done with my workout.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    it's water retention and since your arms are usually down when you're walking, it kind of goes into your fingers. That's what my doctor told me at some point. Try to raise your hands when you walk, and drink more water while you exercise.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I walk long distances or if it is really hot outside. I think it has something to do with the salt content I consume or how much water I drink.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have been told it is caused by your body trying to cool itself down. And i have noticed it does it to me when i get really hot and as i am cooling down they slowly go back to normal. I also try to hold something cool when i am done with my workout.

does holding something cool work?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    My hands always swell when exercising, especially walking since they're down by my sides (below my heart). Just like how your head will get stuffy and red when you do a head stand as the blood goes to that area of your body. It's normal. Plus if you're getting hot, they will swell also. Totally normal.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I noticed my hands do the same thing when I walk/jog....its really odd but seems to go down once I get home and relax for a while. I got a little worried but reading here it seems like it happens to quite a few peeps.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I walk long distances. As someone said earlier, I just thought it was from the force of swinging my arms and forcing blood/fluid down to my hands.

I find that if I clench my fists a bit it relieves it temporarily, and then when I get home it goes away.

Next time it happens, just try stopping for 30 seconds and putting your hands on your head (or up in the air if you don't mind looking a little silly)
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Very common...happens when I walk but not when I run. I think it's because my hands just dangle down by my side. If I raise my hands above my heart for awhile it helps so I think it's blood pooling in my hands. When I run, I keep my hands up about chest high and move my arms so think that's why it doesn't happen when I run.