What is your favorite movie about running?

Options
I watched "Without Limits" this weekend after finding it in a bin for $3.00. Billy Cruddup and Donald Sutherland on the life of Steve Prefontaine (spelling?). I had seen it before long ago but it was great. I went out after it was over and timed myself running a 5k in 29:35 which is my first time under 30min. I am gradually still trying to get to where I can run the entire 3.1 miles and that last run included 5 minutes of walking. I run my first REAL ever 5k in October and I set a goal of 20-22 minutes. I know that might be unrealistic but I set lofty goals :) Does anyone have any other great movies about runners or on running that inspire?

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a single movie I've ever seen that was about running. *Mind blown*
  • Jarrod4275
    Jarrod4275 Posts: 37
    Options
    I can't think of a single movie I've ever seen that was about running. *Mind blown*

Well all I know of is Without Limits and Chariots of Fire
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Cool Runnings

:bigsmile:
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Forest Gump. Lol
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Forest Gump - sort of
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The Running Man...:laugh: well, they ran like hell from Buzzsaw and Sub-Zero didnt they?
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    "Chariots of Fire." "Prefontaine" was good, but not in the same league.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Cool Runnings and Forest Gump were the only two I could think of and that just made me feel even worse about my poor movie trivia knowledge :blushing:

I feel better now that I know I'm not alone...
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    "The Long Run", about the Comrades Marathon in South Africa. Great, inspiring movie about a hard-as-hell race!
  • CaptainJAG_37
    Options
    Born in East L.A. with Cheech Marin. Classic running movie.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    There's some documentary called "Spirit of the Marathon" -- maybe check that one out! My hubby watched it while he was training for his marathon.
  • mustekala
    mustekala Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hood to Coast!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Chariots of Fire because I've run on that beach. :smile:
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There was another movie about Pre called simply "Prefontaine" that came out around the same time as "Without Limits". Never seen it., but I've heard it's not quite as good (and it currently has a lower rating on RottenTomatoes.)

There's also a Pre documentary (as opposed to a dramatized story) called "Fire on the Track".

Then there's a 1960s British movie called "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" that's supposed to be pretty good. Haven't seen that one either though.

"Run, Lola, Run" is a great movie that, unsurprisingly, features a lot of running. But not the "competitive sports" kind of running.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The Running Man. Classic Ahnold!!!!
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    "Run Fatboy Run" is not a bad movie, although it got mediocre reviews. I thought is was cute :tongue:
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    The loneliness of the long distance runner .. tom courtenay ( from memory )
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Well they are not movies about running but I like "The Firm" or any movie where Tom Cruise is running.

I love to see him run...

Edited to add: There are not too many movies about long distance running....
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Run Fatboy, Run.

But one you may never have heard about if not for right this moment:

Unbreakable: The Western States 100