Options
    No.©
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    "I can go over my calories because I'm on vacation."
    "I can go over my calories because I'm visiting friends."
    "I can go over my calories because I'm on my period."

It's hard; however, if I gave myself excuses-then I wouldn't be dedicated.

I know none of those excsuses are what OP is mentioning, which is cool. I'm just giving an example.

Usually it's really tough to start. However, just getting through with a strong mentality and sticking with a program you are going to feel a lot more hardcore and beast mode and motivated to continue and stay dedicated.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Honestly, these posts about girls who don't work out on their periods just seem like excuses to me. If you're really serious about getting in shape then stick with it, no matter what time of the month.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I hear that - I've have ones that are worst than others but if I can get out and go run or walk or even bike, I do feel better. It helps with the cramps. I still want to eat like crap but I try to keep that to a minimum. I've discovered that my fave actiivty of reading a book on that time just doesn't really do much and next week I'll feel even worse. As you exercise more, it will help further down the line. You just got to power through for now.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Meh.

Did a triathlon, yesterday, during shark week.

Anything is possible when you stop making excuses.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    Even just a walk or something to get you moving might help!
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I understand that sometimes it is the very last thing you want to while on your period, but push through and I can pretty much guarantee that you'll feel better afterwards. Exercising is actually one of the best ways to ease cramps! I'll push to do my regular workouts, if its REALLY bad and I'm having difficulties with it, I'll do yoga, just because it feels amazing.

Don't allow excuses, find what works best for you to get to your goals!
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try doing some meditation and yoga instead of working out :) It helps you relax and might even help the pain go away. Then maybe read and lay on a heating pad/put the heating pad on your stomach. That's what I do.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    unless the pain is debilitating, then I'd recommend working out. A lot of women (including me) find that working out makes the pain less bad.

Also, debilitating period pain is something that you need to discuss with a doctor.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Period wars, lol. My period is much worse if not much much worse than every single one of you!!!!!!!!!!!!

No but seriously, unless you have an honest-to-goodness medical issue that goes way beyond cramps and pain and lethargy and feeling ****ty, which is to be expected, push yourself to work out anyway. It's likely that you'll feel better for doing it, and you'll get into the habit of not allowing your moods or circumstances to sway you from what you promised yourself you would do (determination > motivation).
  • ontherightpath14
    ontherightpath14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of people on here, I find that exercise helps with cramps and the other stuff. But also, you need to listen to your body and not push too hard.

Grab some chocolate (dark if possible), a good movie and take it easy. :smile:
  • nomorefatplease2
    Options
    I have endometriosis, so I feel ya. Period + exercise = no thank you. If you're not feeling up to a big workout, you can always do some light walking. The key is getting some form of activity. Doesn't have to be high-intensity workout, but getting up and moving around can actually help with the cramps and boost your energy level. You're welcome to rest as much as you want afterward, but if you made plans to do something, don't let Aunt Flow stop you.

If the cramps are getting too bad, ibuprofen, or 1-2 Aleve. Eat something with it. Heating pad/hot water bottle/hot bath. You know the drill. And as hard as it is, I'd encourage you to at least try to put something on your stomach, even if it's just chicken broth and applesauce.
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Eh. I can go either way on this. I have pretty bad periods and they usually involve embarrassing wardrobe malfunctions, so I am very self-conscious about working out. Also, pain. The pain.

However, physical activity does make you feel better. You don't have to go to Zumba or run six miles, but I would take a short walk, maybe do some yoga stretches or a few weight training moves at home. You will feel better and you will have gotten some physical activity in.

But, if you do need to skip it, I understand 100%. BUT tomorrow is a new day, and you have to get back to it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I'd probably take Midol or Advil. But since you're not eating, I don't recommend working out.

Your period shouldn't make you feel so bad for so long, I'd recommend talking to your doctor about it - birth control pills can help (some brands can make it worse though).

I don't get a lot of pain with mine, but if I didn't exercise while I had it I would only be exercising for 2 weeks every month. Stupid 2 week long period that just drags ON and ON. *Shakes fist*.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I always tell myself I'm just going to commit to 10 minutes.
    If I do the 10 minutes and just can't stand it then I pat myself on the back, make myself a cup of tea, and put on a sad movie to cry over.
    But 99.9% of the time, that 10 minutes fires me up and I do my regular workout and feel better for it!
  • skybluekitten
    skybluekitten Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i know that feeling, my period makes me feel like ****, im always in pain and i scream on everyone, and i want to eat everything in the house, but, try at least 10-15 minutes of yoga (fitnessblender 15 minutes are amazing) and you will feel relaxed and it will be like recovery from your workouts :)
  • amandagorder
    amandagorder Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hear you its hard... but I always work out every single day! if I feel crummy I take a theromgenic on my um "cycle days" not for every body but it help me keep off the water weight during my cycle and has little boost. but I do typically give in one day during my cycle to eat bread. but that's it
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If your period is really truly getting in the way of living your life(ie working out and functioning well) then see your gyn. There are loads of things you can do to help ease symptoms. A lot period pain can be helped by upping calcium in the days before getting your period and drinking a lot of water. If I feel really crampy, for me working out makes it much worse to the point of throwing up. Luckily this has eased up since I got a bit older(I am 28 now). However if I just feel lethargic, I go anyway and tell myself I don't have to do anything hard, and usually once I start my motivation kicks in and I feel a bit better.

That being said, I do feel noticeably weaker and slower on my period so take that into consideration. Also, if you are on any kind of birth control maybe you need a different kind/dosage to help with your symptoms. I am on Yaz and while it made my skin look great, and my period a non issue, the type of hormones it has in it block testosterone so....I gained ten lbs, have no sex drive and can't get any muscle definition to save my life. Seriously considering Mirena IUD when I get home from Yosemite in September. Unrelated I know but thought I would throw that in there :)
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY understand. I get horrible symptoms, but I really thing that exercising helps ALOT. I love doing something hard as well! My spin Tabata class works wonders on my symptoms! Go for a light walk, drink a glass of wine and hit hard when you feel better!
  • turtlebeth
    turtlebeth Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had a period that lasted 6 weeks once that resulted in such blood loss that I was passing out. Needed a D & C plus IV fluids for days and had to take FIVE birth control pills a day for 3 weeks. Resulted in sky high blood pressure and a brown mask on my face :o( BP is back under control but the brown mask is still there... Unless you are this bad, keep moving! Walking is better than nothing :o)