Replies

• Tilim
    Tilim Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    gloves. I get nasty calluses if I don't wear them :(
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Single guys have an advantage.. they've been training grip strength and forearms since puberty.
    Says a guy who has obviously never been married...
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Theres a product called FAT GRIPS

Basically harden rubger that fits around any bar bell, dumbbell, really makes it harder, and will strenghten your grip for the bigger lifts

Yeah, I use fat gripz too. Their slogan should be "Like grip strength gains on roids."

OP, use them on your DL warm up sets, and any other barbell / dumbell work. They let you use your forearms for all lifts. They've lessened a couple of my friends shoulder pains too.

http://amzn.to/1oXf1NC

Other grip strength exercises, like mentioned above, grip the bar as hard as possible.

Heavy rack DL pulls and holds work well too.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on any rock climbing or becoming the next American Ninja Warrior.
    There hasn't been one yet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Liquid chalk or if you want to just get a grip without having to put any thing on your hands, consider something like GRIP POWER PADS. There's rubber version ones I've seen too. Closest thing to "feeling" the bar with a padded assistance tool.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everyone who says they are not there to work on their grip always cracks me up. That's like saying, "I use a belt when I squat for the reason that I don't want to work on maintaining proper abdominal pressure. Also, I don't want to work on my core. I just want to work on my butt and have magical things happen."

There is no reason for a grip issue to hold back an entire large lift like that. It's just silly. You can train grip in other ways and make progress without stalling out on deads.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Okay, well having great grip strength has allowed me to get close to 300 double overhanded in 6-8 months of ever deadlifting and I am an old lady. I expect to break 300 in the next month. I was a pole dancer before and that's why my grip strength is better than most. I don't even think I am very strong...I just think holding onto stuff for dear life is second nature to me!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL that's really interesting!!! (total not snark) I wonder how many other dancers have a similar cross over (I know my dance stuff has had a surprising impact/cross over with my weights training- but not grip since not holding on is not part of my dance)

That's impressive- my best double over hand has been 255- and that's with chalk And I can get about one- I can get 2/3 with 245 but it's not ugly LOL.After that I need alternate grip

I don't think anyone would say ignore it entirely- it's certainly important to make sure it improves- but I know I was pulling well into the 200's and was having a hard time holding 185 for reps double over hand- so I just dedicated more time to training hand grip and kept training my dead lift on it's own.

My biggest break through actually came when I moved off of traditional DL and did a program that only included the 1x 15 stiff leg- so that's a significant drop in weight- but I purposefully pulled double over hand- my first deadlift day after that 6 week program I didn't realize I got all the way up over 2 plates still double over hand- just wasn't paying attention LOL.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Chalk block.
    Gloves.
    Wrap.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what others have said - mixed grip and gloves help me.
    My friends swear by wraps and chalk.
    Go with what works best for you.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yeah, I prefer not to used mixed grip, but I have to use it if I want to go over 300#
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Liquid chalk
  • michaeldowns3133
    Options
    Cornstarch works great for me.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Cornstarch works great for me.

Not slippery?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i just use mixed grip, though im only pulling 4 pl8 so maybe in the future ill consider investing in some chalk.

i cant see myself ever using straps. in my opinion your grip strength should be strong enough to lift whatever weight you wish to deadlift, otherwise you'll end up with some strength imbalances. i realize there are other ways to improve grip strength but id rather get two birds stoned at once.

maybe if your sole goal is to pull ludicrous amount of weight i could see it as reasonable, but otherwise it just seems like youre working around an important aspect of the lift. just my opinion though
  • dbmata
    Options
    Why not do both?

Why not pull the best you can until your grip tops out in the session, then use aid to pull heavier loads?

That way you do stone two birds with one session. (If this weren't a family site, i'd have a story about that from back when I was a dj.)

Your progression doesn't stall, and the aiders may help tick up that natty grip strength.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Why not do both?

Why not pull the best you can until your grip tops out in the session, then use aid to pull heavier loads?

That way you do stone two birds with one session. (If this weren't a family site, i'd have a story about that from back when I was a dj.)

Your progression doesn't stall, and the aiders may help tick up that natty grip strength.
    fair point. for me though my limiting factor isnt specifically grip strength, i find my grip, legs and back are pretty much at par when it comes to deads
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    gloves. I get nasty calluses if I don't wear them :(
    You worked hard to earn those calluses.
    They are like trophies.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Why not do both?

fair point. for me though my limiting factor isnt specifically grip strength, i find my grip, legs and back are pretty much at par when it comes to deads

Ah that makes sense, for me it's grip, and the only thing that's gotten that moving in the right direction has been rock climbing.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Versa Gripps!

I know, but I'm never going to compete and I have short fingers. Versa Gripps have made the difference!