Should I eat back the calories or not?

Options
So I'm curious - is eating back your exercise calories actually necessary? I burn around 200-300 calories during my walks, and I walk at least 3-4 days a week if not more. My NEAT according to MFP is 1870 and my daily max is 1450 (though I shoot for 1200-1300).

I understand that the calculation MFP gives you doesn't take into account the calories that you burn from exercise. But do I have to eat them back? I mean, I usually get hungrier on the days that I walk, but I can tough it out if it means I burn more calories. I've heard that this can cause problems with "starvation mode" but then I've also heard that the whole starvation mode thing is a myth.

Replies

• justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My thoughts have always been, if I'm hungry I will eat. I listen to my body, not what others or "experts" say I should eat. If your body says you need a snack, then have one. If you are fine without it and not eating them back, then don't. Bonus calories you burned. :)
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I asked that same question today, My trainer told me that she believes that you don't have to eat back the calories you gain from exercising. I was hoping by not eating those extra calories that i could loss a little extra weight.
  • charliecopley
    Options
    No, don't eat them back. I would only eat a small 150-calorie snack after a workout if you feel extremely lightheaded, usually peanut butter on bread or a few cucumbers will help. Some weight articles on AskMen suggest that if you eat a meal to consume those calories, you end up risking eating MORE than you lost.
  • FitMomZoe
    FitMomZoe Posts: 4
    Options
    have a post workout drink/shake to help replenish the nutrients you're body needs. def don't just go eat the calories back. thats counterproductive.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on what your deficit is. If your deficit is already 1000 calories to lose 2lb a week, you should eat back a good portion of them. If your deficit is for one pound, it isn't quite as big of a deal.

If you are hungry, eat some back. Your body is telling you it wants fuel.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor, and correct gross burned cals to net, and always eat them back. My goal may be different than your goal...I like food, so I eat as much as possible and maintain a 1.5 lbs per week loss.

When I first joined MFP, I didn't eat back any exercise cals. I also felt weak, tired and hungry all the time. Eating back, I feel great and don't struggle with hunger.

good luck to you
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat them back, especially not ALL of them that MFP says that I "earned" through exercise, because I don't trust their exercise calorie expenditures.

As others have said, listen to your body. If you're feeling sick to your stomach and shaky, you probably need to add a few extra calories. Each day varies.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The simplest answer is YES, you should be eating them back, as that is the way that MFP is designed to work.
  • nomorefatplease2
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. :) I've decided to try not to eat them back but allow myself a small, light snack like a piece of fruit or something if I find that exercising has made me hungrier than usual.