Which scale to believe so sick of this

Options
I have traditional scale that weighed me in today at 139 pounds. I went on my sisters digital and it weighs me at 144 pounds. I didn't eat anything before hand. EVERY time I weight myself on a digital scale it weighs me more than a traditional one. I don't get it. Why do digital scales always say i weigh more than regular scales even at the same time of day ? I don't know which one to believe.

Replies

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Don't believe either

Talk to the tape measure
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    All scales will give a slightly different measurement. They aren't perfect.

For sanity's sake, choose ONE and only record your weight on that scale.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Just pick one and stick with it. The ultimate number doesn't matter much. Go by what you see in the mirror instead.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Not all scales are created equal. Just stick to the same one for each weigh-in. Same time of day, same clothing (or none at all), same scale.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Does it matter? As long as you use the same scale consistently over time, then it should be fine.

If I really think about it, my goal weight is sort of arbitrary. I'm much more concerned without how I look and feel at the end of it, along with what clothes I can fit into.

So don't believe either one. Pick one and use it to record trends over time.
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Every scale will measure you differently - digital or otherwise.

The only thing to do is pick one and stick with it and judge your weight by the trends on that scale (weighing at the same time of the day under the same conditions).
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The one that is calibrated.. The tape is a lot better though.
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Scales, even digital ones should be calibrated from time to time to insure accuracy. One or the other or both could be off.

Best way to check is to get an item like a 10lb bag of flour that is weight regulated to check.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If I were to have a scale, which I won't, I would stick with the old fashioned kind. I don't think the digital scales are accurate.
  • Smoofalz
    Smoofalz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Stick to using the same scale every time. The amount of weight you are losing will be the same. Every scale seems to be a tad different, and even if its off by just a little bit it can be discouraging...
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Take the average.
  • JSPictures
    JSPictures Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree with all the above posters. I ended up getting an old school type scale, I feel that it gives me a more accurate reading. Plus it will never run out of batteries and other such technological nonsense... :glasses:

Hang in there!
  • iceycoldhot
    iceycoldhot Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week I am not obsessive about it. I've gone to walmart before months ago to weigh myself on multiple scales and used a dumbbell for accuracy. Every time the digitals weighed me more than traditional. Sometimes 10 POUNDS more than the regular scales. It's weird.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I only weigh myself in the morning using my scale and even then my weight will fluctuate due to water retention and such. I know my normal fluctuations and measurements so it doesn't bother me.
  • Lil40
    Lil40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS stick with the same scale and then just see whether you've gained or lost on THAT scale!

I never weigh myself on anything else than on my old analog scale it would be too depressing lol!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If I were to have a scale, which I won't, I would stick with the old fashioned kind. I don't think the digital scales are accurate.
    Based on...?

"Analog scales look cool, but the fact is, you can get a precise digital scale for a lot less than a serviceable analog one. What’s more, digital scales stay precise — Consumer Reports found that when tested against their calibrated lab scale, analog models were consistently inaccurate, while digital models held true throughout their testing procedures."

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-bathroom-scales/
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week I am not obsessive about it. I've gone to walmart before months ago to weigh myself on multiple scales and used a dumbbell for accuracy. Every time the digitals weighed me more than traditional. Sometimes 10 POUNDS more than the regular scales. It's weird.
    I am so tempted to go get a a regular scale after reading this.:noway:
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Who's to say the dumbbell is accurate?

Precision is all that really matters, not accuracy.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My digital scale always has me about 5 lbs more than my needle scale. When I get weighed at the doctor's, I'm usually closer to the digital weight, so I use that scale as my reference. I used to weigh myself on both scales, but I was driving myself crazy, so now I only use the digital scale.