sugar in fruit

Options

Replies

• crys39
    crys39 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree that sugar is sugar but there is a difference the way you consume it. Eating an apple or orange you are getting vit c and fiber along with other goodness can not compare to a fried donut dipped in white sugar . If you are going for the sweetness you may as well have something good for you...
    Why? Why not make room for both in the day?
    And how are ice cream or cookies bad for you if eaten in moderation?

I don't think anything is bad for you once eaten in moderation. The problem lies where if an individual has one cookie and then goes totally off-track and eats the rest of the cookies in the package. Everyone has to know themselves... lol, I for one love me some ice-cream and cookies way too much so I'd prefer to stay away from it and just have a sweet fruit or something.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about my sugar intake, I am normally below my RDA. I do tend to prioritize sugary foods before I workout. So for example I ate 150g of grapes 20 min ago(22g of sugar, 100 calories). Took my Pre-workout right now, and will be performing the P90x Ab ripper X workout in 10 minutes followed by an hour and a half of cardio. I find that foods high in sugar simply aren't that filling, but they do give me a sugar high for 30-60 min.

The only people that should really be concerned(as long as you are under your calorie goal and meeting your macros) are individuals with medical conditions.
  • Peaceandwater
    Peaceandwater Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try my best to make sure that the ONLY sugar I am consuming is from 1 or 2 pieces of whole, fresh fruit per day (mainly within breakfast like a smoothie) or the sugar that is found in many veggies like carrots, beets etc. Usually, eating sugary foods causes me to crave more but with fresh fruit I have not noticed this. I read recently (sorry I forget where) that the high sugar content in fresh fruit can be balanced out in part with the fiber and water present. Meaning the fiber and water present in the fruit helps flush the sugar through your digestive system quicker so you do not digest every gram. I'm not sure if it is true or not but Ill believe it for now !
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    fruit isn't just sugar, it is fibre as well as vitamins and antioxidants. I don't worry about it, as long as I'm within my calorie target for the day.
    Lol. Fruit isn't sugar? You can't be serious.

What do you think happens to carbs at the end of process?

You conveniently missed a part of what you were quoting: "fruit isn't JUST sugar," not "fruit isn't sugar."

-Edit. I see this was already addressed.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I eat 400g+ sugar a day

Keeps the doctor away.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I watch sugars because I am diabetic (and now happily insulin and medication free) who has to watch sugar intake, which does include fruit - that being said, I'd rather get my sugar from fruit than other products. Do I occasionally go over? sure (I really like my fruit :smile: )
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that sugar delivered to your body without fiber (refined sugars or even fructose in juice) cause a rapid increase of blood glucose that triggers the body to release a rush of the hormone insulin. A large surge of insulin will leave you feeling tired, hungry, craving more sugar and also lowers the speed at which the body burns fat.

The fiber in fruit causes a steady rise of blood glucose, which only results in a small and gentle rise in insulin. Small increases in insulin keep you feeling full, energized for hours and encourages the body to burn fat.

Foods high in fiber take longer to digest and help you feel satisfied by triggering natural appetite suppressors.

I love fresh fruit smoothies!
  • Emmaa233
    Emmaa233 Posts: 12
    Options
    No. Fruits aren't bad for weightloss. They're infact good for weightloss. Too much of any type of food will cause you to gain weight, but eating fruit as part of a healthy diet is a good thing. Fruits contain many vitamins that you don't get in any other foods and contain little calories. Some fruits such as blueberries and pomegranate contain antioxidants which boost weigh lost. Just be careful of eating too much because although the sugar in fruit is natural sugar, any amount of sugar is bad in large quantities. But seriously, carry on eating fruit!
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Do you consider natural (fruit) sugar or are you interested only in the sugar from processed food?
    It is all lumped together on the food chart, but there is such a huge difference.
    Typically I discount the sugar from fruits but want input from MFP users.
    So, what do you think?

No!!!, only wagon hoppers love no sugar diets and will tell you how much they don't know about sugar so fast!!! Hate this fad right now.
  • BrieFit18
    BrieFit18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I never count the sugar in fruit because I eat so much of it haha. I eat tons of fruit and it has never negatively affected me so I just go with that :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit. I also eat ice cream and cookies. And I don't watch sugar because there is zero reason for me to. I have no medical reason to do so and that is the only reason you should. I do watch sodium because I have a medical reason for that (to see at what level may impact a medical condition I have). But if I didn't, I wouldn't watch that either.
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sorry I guess I should have provided the why.
    My concern is reducing the flabby stomach.
    My weight is good, I lift weights for toning, but the flabby stomach is an issue.

A flabby stomach could be because of a couple of things...

a) the skin is stretched out from either pregnancy or weight gain and no longer has the elasticity to be taut - usually needs to be surgically fixed

b) The muscles aren't being exercised correctly - IOW you need to be doing specific exercises for the abs

c) hernia

I don't know of anyone who has successfully fixed a flabby stomach by reducing sugar, carbs, doing a cleanse, or any of a number of "solutions" that don't address one of the above.
  • reacher14
    reacher14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Google Robert Lustig

► 89:37► 89:37
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    31 Jul 2009 - Uploaded by University of California Television (UCTV)
    Watch "The Skinny on Obesity" with Dr. Lustig: http://www.uctv.tv/skinny-on- obesity Robert H ...
    Sugar is present in fruit and vegetables, and it is not a problem if you are eating the whole fruit.
    it is the added sugar in foods that causes the problem - when fat is removed from some foods a form of sugar has to be added to give it flavour, it is also found in a multitude of every day foods - from baked beans, tomatoe ketchup, weetabix , flow fat yogurts etc so you need to read the label.
    We ditched all the added sugar, eat only fruit veg and foods with no added sugar weight we both lost weight me I dropped from 85kg to 79kg my partner who eat a lot of low fat yogurt dropped from 95 to 82 kg by just cutting foods out with added sugar , switched to full fat everything - makes you wonder.
    Watch Robert's lecture then you will know how it all hangs together
  • jld0411
    jld0411 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do you consider natural (fruit) sugar or are you interested only in the sugar from processed food?
    It is all lumped together on the food chart, but there is such a huge difference.
    Typically I discount the sugar from fruits but want input from MFP users.
    So, what do you think?

I've wondered the same thing. I am well over my sugar goal every day, and it is due in no small part to the fruit. Instead of worrying about the sugar grams, I focus on my ratio of carbs, protein and healthy fat. As long as those are in check, I don't worry too much about the sugar count. What I DO limit is refined sugar and processed foods - with the exception of my coffee. That's my one vice, and you can pry that out of my cold, dead hand. :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Google Robert Lustig

Watch "The Skinny on Obesity" with Dr. Lustig: http://www.uctv.tv/skinny-on- obesity Robert H ...
    Sugar is present in fruit and vegetables, and it is not a problem if you are eating the whole fruit.
    it is the added sugar in foods that causes the problem - when fat is removed from some foods a form of sugar has to be added to give it flavour, it is also found in a multitude of every day foods - from baked beans, tomatoe ketchup, weetabix , flow fat yogurts etc so you need to read the label.
    We ditched all the added sugar, eat only fruit veg and foods with no added sugar weight we both lost weight me I dropped from 85kg to 79kg my partner who eat a lot of low fat yogurt dropped from 95 to 82 kg by just cutting foods out with added sugar , switched to full fat everything - makes you wonder.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • shellypaints
    shellypaints Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Google Robert Lustig

This is right on the mark. We need to stop demonizing foods. It seems to me that eventually there will be no healthy food left if we keep making food into the enemy. Carbs, fats, wheat, gluten, sugar, HFCS, cholesterol, and on and on and on and on... It's no wonder people are overweight and unhealthy - we're malnourished!

All foods are healthy when eaten in the proper amounts. Food isn't the enemy. The only people who should avoid or limit a food is if there is a diagnosed medical reason to do so and this diagnosing should always be done by a licensed medical professional.

So let's be sensible and eat all the food in the amounts that are healthy for you.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The sugar found in ice cream and cake is better for you than the sugar found in fruits.