Jar of Grape leaves

Options
FoodPwnr
FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
I just got a jar of grape leaves...any suggestions on something low cal? Do grape leaves taste good?

Replies

• veggiesnyc
    veggiesnyc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am Lebanese, and one of my favorite Lebanese dishes uses grape leaves (they do taste good!). If you've ever had Greek-style dolmades (grape leaves stuffed with rice, mint, etc and served cold), these are a bit similar but they use meat and are served hot. The filling includes rice, ground beef or lamb (turkey or chicken would probably work, too), a little tomato sauce, and lemon juice. You roll them up and layer them in a pot with a lambchop or two at the bottom for flavor, several whole cloves of garlic, and more tomato sauce and lemon juice. You cook over low heat for 60-90 minutes or until the rice is cooked and they come out so tender and delicious.

I tried to find a good on-line recipe for you, but came up short. Try searching for Warak Enab recipes - some say to add cinnamon, allspice, etc. but I much prefer leaving that out and just using the savory ingredients above :)
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Stuffed grape leaves are yummy! Thanks for the reminder, I have grapes growing here, and so need to make some while the leaves are still tender enough!
  • veggiesnyc
    veggiesnyc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fresh grape leaves are even more divine than jarred!
  • rockstrong
    rockstrong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're up for the amount of work, these are fantastic! Healthy and not too fattening. Good cold, hot, as left overs. Or serve as an appetizer which I do all the time, people love them.

DOLMADES: grape vine leaves with rice stuffing

Rice stuffing: cook all of the following ingredients in 2 cups of water: 3 tsp currants, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, 1 cup long grain rice, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon.

Once rice mixture is cooked add 3 tbsps lemon juice, 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill or mint, 2 tsp chopped fresh parseley, salt and pepper.

Drain and rinse the grape leaves. Place a small handful of the filling onto a leaf and wrap. Place in a casserole dish with a little water (approx. 1/4 cup), cover. Bake in a moderate over for 30-40 min, until a fork pierces through easily.

Serve with cucumber sauce: 1 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup light sour cream, 1/3 cup grated cucumber, 1 tsp chopped fresh dill.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    When I was in college there was a restaurant that made stuffed grape leaves with lamb, rice, apricots and pine nuts. Oh wow. Now I want to go there.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yum! I LOVE the rice stuffed leaves.
  • FoodPwnr
    Options
    Ok I made the DOLMADES dear god these are delish

Thanks so much
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You can use cauliflower instead of rice in the dolmas. Tastes the same.
  • FoodPwnr
    Options
    I will have to try the cauliflower that would be much lower in cals than rice..thank you
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I love both the pork chop and the cauliflower ideas. This is a recipe I have made before, once with beef and once with lamb. Both were delicious.

Stuffed Grape Leaves

1[8 oz ] jar grape leaves, rinsed, drained and patted dry with clean towel
    1 lb ground lamb
    ¾ cup long grain white rice
    ½ cup finely chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
    1 [8 oz] can tomato sauce
    1 cup cold water
    1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Spray a large non stick Dutch oven with nonstick spray. Place a plate in the bottom of the pot. Sort the grape leaves and spread any ripped or torn leaves on top of the plate. Save 24 whole leaves for stuffing.

Combine the lamb, rice, onion, garlic, mint, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Trim any tough stems from the grape leaves. Working with one leaf at a time, place 1 rounded tablespoon of the filling in the center of the bottom third of the leaf. Fold over the sides then roll up from the bottom to form a package. Place the roll, seam-side down, in the Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining grape leaves and filling to make 24 stuffed grape leaves.

Combine the tomato sauce, water, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Pour the sauce over the grape leaves in the Dutch oven. Place a heatproof plate directly on top of the leaves to prevent them from opening. If necessary add more water to make sure rolls are covered. Cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, until the grape leaves are tender and the rice is cooked, about 1 hour. Transfer the grape leaves to a serving platter and top with the sauce.

Makes 12 servings.
    Per serving [2 stuffed grape leaves with 2 Tbsp sauce]
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've made them a few times and eaten them in Greece. Love some of the ideas in here.