Burning 4000 calories a day?

Options
I decided to wear my heart rate monitor all day. It also shows you how many calories you've burned.
At 8AM, I went to the gym.
At 9AM, I left the gym and my HRM said I burned 800 calories.
At 12:30PM, my HRM said that I have burned 1350 calories. My heart rate is 77BPM.
According to my math, I am burning 3 calories every minute. If there are 1440 minutes in a day, then I am burning around 4000 calories a day.
Does that sound right?

Replies

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you are burning 800 calories an hour at the gym your heart rate would need to be at a constant 150-160. I'm 24 5'10" 175 lbs @12% BF, work out 90 minutes a day (30 cardio 60 lifting) and I still don't burn 4000 calories a day. My assumption would be your HR monitor is grossly over estimating unless your metabolism is super human. In addition, your heart rate will drop significantly while you sleep.

On the other hand, while I was swimming 4 hours a day I needed to consume roughly 8000 calories daily to maintain. So yes its, possible but fairly unlikely.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    HRM's are only accurate for Steady State Cardio. If you don't get your heart rate elevated and keep it up then it is not reading accurately. So, no probably not actually burning 4,000 calories a day. Not saying there aren't people that don't but not the average person.
  • Drdmike
    Drdmike Posts: 66
    Options
    If you are burning 800 calories an hour at the gym your heart rate would need to be at a constant 150-160. I'm 24 5'10" 175 lbs @12% BF, work out 90 minutes a day (30 cardio 60 lifting) and I still don't burn 4000 calories a day. My assumption would be your HR monitor is grossly over estimating unless your metabolism is super human. In addition, your heart rate will drop significantly while you sleep.

On the other hand, while I was swimming 4 hours a day I needed to consume roughly 8000 calories daily to maintain. So yes its, possible but fairly unlikely.

I was working out for an hour at 150 BPM though. I also read that after an intense workout, your body continues to burn calories.
  • Drdmike
    Options
    HRM's are only accurate for Steady State Cardio. If you don't get your heart rate elevated and keep it up then it is not reading accurately. So, no probably not actually burning 4,000 calories a day. Not saying there aren't people that don't but not the average person.

My heart rate has been roughly 75-80BMP since I got home from the gym.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The caloric estimates from HRMs are only accurate for a limited number of steady state cardio activities. It bases your burn on a formula that depends on you telling it several things including what your activity is ... such as running or cycling. They are useless for calculating all day burns or burns from yoga, pilates, weight lifting and are marginal at best for intervals.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The caloric estimates from HRMs are only accurate for a limited number of steady state cardio activities. It bases your burn on a formula that depends on you telling it several things including what your activity is ... such as running or cycling. They are useless for calculating all day burns or burns from yoga, pilates, weight lifting and are marginal at best for intervals.

This.

"The linear HR vs. VO2 relationship applies to moderate-intensity activity but is nearly a flat slope during low-intensity activity, resulting in a low correlation between HR and EE (Energy Expenditure) during sedentary and low-intensity activities. "
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

A good explanation
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

TL;DR - you are getting an inflated estimate.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    I decided to wear my heart rate monitor all day. It also shows you how many calories you've burned.
    At 8AM, I went to the gym.
    At 9AM, I left the gym and my HRM said I burned 800 calories.
    At 12:30PM, my HRM said that I have burned 1350 calories. My heart rate is 77BPM.
    According to my math, I am burning 3 calories every minute. If there are 1440 minutes in a day, then I am burning around 4000 calories a day.
    Does that sound right?

sounds crazy you got to count the heart rate in rest a good metabolism is around 2500!
  • Drdmike
    Options

This.

"The linear HR vs. VO2 relationship applies to moderate-intensity activity but is nearly a flat slope during low-intensity activity, resulting in a low correlation between HR and EE (Energy Expenditure) during sedentary and low-intensity activities. "
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

A good explanation
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

There is no preprogrammed activity on my HRM. I wear a cardiogram around my chest and it sends the data to my watch which displays the heart rate and calories burned. I assume that it can't be too erroneous if the data is from a cardiogram.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

This.

A good explanation

There is no preprogrammed activity on my HRM. I wear a cardiogram around my chest and it sends the data to my watch which displays the heart rate and calories burned. I assume that it can't be too erroneous if the data is from a cardiogram.

Just read the links that were posted. They will explain in detail. Bottom line is your number is not accurate.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

This.

A good explanation

I am assuming you are wearing a regular type HRM with a chest strap.

I don't believe that most HRM have pre-programmed activities. But the calorie estimation formula is based on a known relationship between VO2 max and HR during moderate intensity steady state cardio. The first link contains a link to a study which cites this.

You are assuming HR directly relates to calories burned, it does not.
    You can assume that the HR being recorded is accurate, most HRMs with chest straps are very accurate for that. The calories burned are a totally different thing.
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No way in hell
  • Drdmike
    Options

This.

A good explanation

I don't believe that most HRM have pre-programmed activities. But the calorie estimation formula is based on a known relationship between VO2 max and HR during moderate intensity steady state cardio. The first link contains a link to a study which cites this.

You can assume that the HR being recorded is accurate, most HRMs with chest straps are very accurate for that. The calories burned are a totally different thing.

I bought a Polar HRM because of this study:

"Various studies utilizing different Polar heart rate monitors have demonstrated that the monitors are highly accurate at estimating energy expenditure when compared to the actual energy expenditures evaluated by indirect calorimetry -- a lab-based test that is considered the gold standard measure of energy expenditure. "

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

This.

A good explanation

"Various studies utilizing different Polar heart rate monitors have demonstrated that the monitors are highly accurate at estimating energy expenditure when compared to the actual energy expenditures evaluated by indirect calorimetry -- a lab-based test that is considered the gold standard measure of energy expenditure. "

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/

You forgot the next line - bold is mine

"The monitors appear to be the most accurate when measuring moderate-intensity exercise. Low-intensity and high-intensity exercise have produced less accurate measurements."

Here is another link that has a chart showing the relationship between VO2 max and various activities.

ETA
    forgot the link
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
  • Drdmike
    Options
    "Regardless of the type of movement involved, heart rate monitors may overestimate energy expenditure by as much as around 12 percent."

12% ain't bad, right?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Reading the article you just posted......
    The monitors appear to be the most accurate when measuring moderate-intensity exercise. Low-intensity and high-intensity exercise have produced less accurate measurements.
    You cannot use a HRM as an all day calorie counter.
    Ultimately you cannot actually measure calories in heartbeats.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

This.

A good explanation

So an elevated heart rate from fear, *kitten*, or running results in the same caloric burn? The answer to that question is "no."

Just to further enlighten you we need a bit of information .... what make/model HRM are you using?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    "Regardless of the type of movement involved, heart rate monitors may overestimate energy expenditure by as much as around 12 percent."

12% ain't bad, right?

You are cherry picking quotes without context. That quote was in reference was to concerns about exercises that included arm movements.

"There has been concern that heart rate monitors could become inaccurate when evaluating exercises that include arm movements, since heart rate increases disproportionately to the rise in VO2 when arm movements are added to exercise. Therefore, heart rate monitors could incorrectly estimate energy expenditure. Studies have shown, however, that there is not an increase in error in energy expenditure estimation when heart rate monitors evaluate combined arm and leg exercises. Still, there is always some error in estimation. Regardless of the type of movement involved, heart rate monitors may overestimate energy expenditure by as much as around 12 percent."

Did you even look at the link provided?

If you want to believe you burned 4000 calories a day, go ahead, I'm just not sure what the point of asking was. Your own link confirms that they are not accurate for everyday activity.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

12% ain't bad, right?

You are cherry picking quotes without context. That quote was in reference was to concerns about exercises that included arm movements.

"There has been concern that heart rate monitors could become inaccurate when evaluating exercises that include arm movements, since heart rate increases disproportionately to the rise in VO2 when arm movements are added to exercise. Therefore, heart rate monitors could incorrectly estimate energy expenditure. Studies have shown, however, that there is not an increase in error in energy expenditure estimation when heart rate monitors evaluate combined arm and leg exercises. Still, there is always some error in estimation. Regardless of the type of movement involved, heart rate monitors may overestimate energy expenditure by as much as around 12 percent."

Did you even look at the link provided?

If you want to believe you burned 4000 calories a day, go ahead, I'm just not sure what the point of asking was. Your own link confirms that they are not accurate for everyday activity.

Science is only beneficial to those willing to learn from it. Those who already predetermine the result see nothing come from it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have some bad news for you. You didn't burn 4000 calories. What you need is a fitbit or something like that. Use the HRM for steady state cardio only.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    The 12% variance is between HRM caloric estimations and lab testing of exercise while hooked up to a calorimeter .... not for all day estimation.