1 week into starting, gained 3 lbs.

Options
Hi All,

Just wanted to hear some feedback. I just started MFP last week and I've been working out and diligently updating my food journal. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day, and I've worked out 5 days (I took Thursday and Friday off). So I'm really down to around the 1000-11000 calorie range, which is my goal anyway. I weighed myself today and I'm 3 lbs heavier.

I know that it could be due to some of the weight training... but how do I make sure that the scale doesn't continue to rise? Should I work out less? Do more cardio?

Thank you!!
Paula

Replies

• rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about it and just stick with it. If you have no results in a month, then take a look at your calories or other reasons. When you start a new diet/exercise program, your body has to adjust to it. For some people it means a quick 5 pound loss, for others it means water retention, and for others it means a few pound gain.

Its only been one week, just stick with it and you will start to get results.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you're not logging your food accurately. Using a food scale tends to be the most accurate.

Could you be double-counting your exercise? Your Activity Level is your daily activity without the workouts, which is why you log the workouts separately. Sometime new people have accidentally set their Activity Level to include their workouts and then also logged them, so it may be worth checking that.
  • misticmay
    misticmay Posts: 15
    Options
    Weight fluctuates! I wouldn't worry about it, just keep going and see how if your weight goes up or down on a long term scale
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Just wanted to hear some feedback. I just started MFP last week and I've been working out and diligently updating my food journal. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day, and I've worked out 5 days (I took Thursday and Friday off). So I'm really down to around the 1000-11000 calorie range, which is my goal anyway. I weighed myself today and I'm 3 lbs heavier.

I know that it could be due to some of the weight training... but how do I make sure that the scale doesn't continue to rise? Should I work out less? Do more cardio?

Thank you!!
    Paula

One week in? Likely extra water weight due to the uptick in physical activity. And/or a combination of not logging accurately. "About 1500" leads me to believe you're not being very meticulous with logging calories.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about the scale so much - it's been a week. There will be fluctuations from water retention (weight training and sodium). Be diligent about weighing food and take your measurements. It takes a good 4 weeks for the body to adjust.
  • pauley120
    pauley120 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I understand how you are feeling. When you start a weight loss program, you want to lose some weight and obviously gaining weight is not going to make you very happy. Some people will say, don't worry about the scale, but that is incredibly hard to do. I would just say keep at it for another week. If you gain more, then re-evaluate how you are logging your workouts and meals.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you've just started working out, it's probably water weight. Your muscles are retaining water to help them repair themselves. It will naturally go away.

And as frustrating as it is, weight loss isn't linear. Stick with it! It will probably take a few weeks, but if you're logging your calories accurately and eating at a deficit, you'll start seeing results.
  • purplenurse711
    purplenurse711 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about the gain. Stick with the program and you will be pleasantly surprised with the end results. During my early week on MFP I noticed a slight gain but the following week I had an even greater loss on the scale! Don't give up...just keep on doing what you're doing and success will come!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head when you said you were eating...about...1000 to 1100 calories. When you weigh and measure you...know...how much you are eating. Take a look at this link. Its a great way to get started on the right foot.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Cindy
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Also, as women, our weight can REALLY fluctuate depending on where we are in our monthly cycle. I tend to gain some weight (which I attribute to water retention) between days 20-27... then, I dump all that weight pretty quickly at days 28-7, with more slow/moderate weight loss on days 7-20. At the end of a full month, I have been tending to lose 4-6 lbs... but it is like 2-3 lbs in days 28-7, 1-2 lbs for days 7-20, and then a bit of gain days 20-27... It's just the way my body does it.
  • pauley120
    pauley120 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL so much for this advice. I will definitely be more detailed with my journal to know exactly how much I'm taking in. I greatly appreciate it!
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Eat at LEAST 1200 a day.

Also water weight. Your body is getting adjusted.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    When I started I went down 8 lb's and then right back up 8 lb's the same week. Its been 4 weeks since and I've lost a total of 12 lb's. You need to look at long term trends and not day to day weight values.