Calorie counter on treadmil vs Nike Running app

Options
Hi everyone,

Need a bit of help here.

So I usually run outdoor but because of the weather recently I decided to use my old treadmill and run on it. It's an old treadmill where I cannot input my height and weight. My height is 172cm and my weight is 88.3 kg.
The distance I run according to my Nike Running app and the treadmill are pretty closed yet the calories burned is slightly off.
According to the treadmill, I burned 700 calories. On the other hand, the app said I only burned 577 calories.
I spend approximately 90 minutes of which I did 40 minutes of running with pace of 8 km/h and 50 minutes of walking with pace of 5 km/h. All with 2% incline.
The total distance is 9.1 km.

Should I trust the treadmill or the nike running app?

Will appreciate any kind of help, thanks!

*Update: according to the calorie counter on myfitnesspal a 50-minute run at a pace of 5 mph and a walk at a pace of 3 mph will burn 714 calories. I guess this means that the treadmill is more accurate than the Nike Running app in calculating calories burned.

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Three things -

1. The Nike app allows you to refine by entering weight.
    2. You need to calibrate the two tools so they work in tandem from a distance perspective.
    3. Either way it is an approximation - use the more conservative number.
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hopefully my metric to imperial/US customery conversions are correct, but I would say that the 700 calories is closer to being correct.

Using .63 * weight in lbs * distance in miles = net calories burned I get:

.63 * (88.3kg * 2.21kg/lb) * (9.1km * .62km/mi) =
    .63 * 195.14 lbs * 5.64mi = 693.37 net calories burned

Edit:

Sorry, didn't see the breakdown of walking/running. It should look like this:

.63 * (88.3kg * 2.21kg/lb) * (5.33km * .62km/mi) + .30 * (88.3kg * 2.21kg/lb) * (4.17km * .62km/mi)
    .63 * 195.14lbs * 3.30mi + .30 * 195.14lbs * 2.59mi
    405.70 + 151.62
    557.32 net calories burned.

I'd say the app is closer.
  • soonillbehot
    soonillbehot Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi sjaplo and TriNoob, thanks for the fast responses.

I tried using the calorie counter on myfitnesspal. I got the following results:
    a 50-minute run at a pace of 5 mph and a walk at a pace of 3 mph will burn 714 calories.
    I guess this means that the treadmill is more accurate than the Nike Running app in calculating calories burned.

Again, appreciate the help!!
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi sjaplo and TriNoob, thanks for the fast responses.

I tried using the calorie counter on myfitnesspal. I got the following results:
    a 50-minute run at a pace of 5 mph and a walk at a pace of 3 mph will burn 714 calories.
    I guess this means that the treadmill is more accurate than the Nike Running app in calculating calories burned.

Again, appreciate the help!!

The MyFitnessPal exercise database is notorious for overestimating. Just FYI. See my edit above.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    for me, in not-so-great condition, the MFP calorie counter sometimes comes in very close.