Evening workouts, when do you eat dinner?

Options
I prefer to go to the gym in the morning, but since school got out evenings are sometimes the only chance I get. So if you go to an hour long class that starts at 6 or 6:30 when do you eat? I feel like we would have to eat really early to eat before, and I don't really like to workout on a full stomach. On the other hand if we don't get home until 7:30 or later and I still have to cook that's really late, especially for the kids. Too often I end up picking up food on the way home because they're starving. Having my husband fix dinner is not an option, as he works second shift and isn't home. Also my husband won't eat anything out of a crockpot because he doesn't like his food mixed together. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would just eat before my workout then just take some protein post workout. but with any late evening meal don't carb load, your worst COA would be to eat a bunch of carbs then rack out
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    How long before your workout would you eat?
  • foofyq
    foofyq Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do a cross fit class from 8-9pm. I usually eat around an hour or 45 min before class. Then when I get home i have a little snack, something with protein like turkey or chocolate milk. Then I pass out lol!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I finish work at 4:30, then workout (usually) from 5:30-6:30/7:00ish. For myself, I have to eat 30-45 minutes before a workout, so I have a small snack on my drive to the gym, then I'll eat again when I get home around 7:30.
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This probably doesn't work at all for you if you have kids BUT I train(for rock climbing) usually from...7pm to 10pm or somewhere thereabouts. I usually eat something small prior, like a bowl of oats and then eat dinner...yes at 1030-11 at night. It really really sucks but it is my only option as I need a partner to climb(my husband) and he doesn't get off work until 6 at the earliest. Maybe you could pack food for the kids and then make yourself something at home?
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I eat at 9 pm after the gym.. sorry :/
  • jennafer32
    jennafer32 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A light dinner before the gym with complex carbs for energy and a protein shake for recovery when I get home from gym :)
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A light dinner before the gym with complex carbs for energy and a protein shake for recovery when I get home from gym :)

exactly
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    I eat at 9 pm after the gym.. sorry :/

Me too. No kids. Happily the hubby tolerates this on weekdays.
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll have to try a few of your suggestions and see what works. I've done snack on the way there and dinner later, I've never tried dinner before and protein shake after. Think I'll try that next time. Or maybe just feed the kids before and reheat mine later.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i eat after i workout because i train better on an empty stomach