Overpronation/Planter Fasciitias Running Shoe Suggestions

Options
Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
I am just wondering if anyone could suggest running shoes for people who over pronate and have planter fasciitias problems?

I have been looking at a few shoes that I like the look of but not sure if they are good for over pronation. Can anyone tell me if any of them would work or tell me one that would?

adidas climacool Revolution
New Balance W3090
New Balance WT610 V3 D
Asics Gel Blur 33 2.0
Saucony Grid Exite 6
Reebok Realflex Speed 2.0
Nike Lunarglide+ 5

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have plantars and I wear the Asics Gel-Cumulus 15 along with inserts. Getting fitted properly is probably the best bet at finding a shoe that works for you.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this thread where a few folks were talking about walking/running shoes for flat footed people. May have a few ideas that can help. Good luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1356167-picking-running-shoes-for-a-first-time-flat-footed-runner
  • nikkituck56
    nikkituck56 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    First I went to the podiatrist to get specially made inserts to "correct" the pronation. Second, I talked to my physical therapist about what type of shoe or what feature I would need. She told me to get a shoe with a medial post in it. http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/running-shoes.html. The shoes I have found that helped me the most are Brooks Adrenaline gts 14. They have saved my feet.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @ OP...First of all, have you seen a podiatrist or pedorthist and have you had a gait analysis done? Depending on the extent of your overpronation, you may need an orthotic as well as a specific type of shoe. A podiatris, pedorthist
  • suzaka
    suzaka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not sure about other brands, but I used to work at New Balance.

If you're concerned about looks, the MR993 series is pretty good for an everyday type of running shoe, even if it doesn't look like it's for running. Pretty versatile. It would be good for both pronators and supinators because the absorb support system is in both sides. If you are a heavy pronator, MR1123 series is good but, IMO, looks ugly. Really comfortable shoe though.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look into some new balance suzaka
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problems, and have had good luck with Brooks Addiction 10's, and Asics Gel Forte's. I also use Superfeet green inserts. Check out http://www.holabirdsports.com they've got a good search capability, and you can compare shoes you like against shoes you're considering.
  • TrekkieLianne
    TrekkieLianne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Brooks Addiction work great for me too. I loved the 9s but the 10s are okay as well. I've had Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, pain in the ball of my foot, you name it (pretty much) and those shoes never made it worse. I'm an overweight runner, so my feet take a beating.
  • suzaka
    suzaka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look into some new balance suzaka

Caper,

If you look into New Balance, here's some more shoe models that you might look into. You should also ask the sales associate as they are supposed to know which shoes are best for pronators. They can be expensive, so I would wait for a sale or unless they have a coupon.

MR760 series. Around 100 bucks.
    MR1224 series. Around 150 bucks.
    MR850 series. Around 120 bucks.

I also noticed they sell them on amazon but they don't look like they're discounted or on sale.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Brooks Adrenaline (GTS for road running, ASR is their trail shoe... I run in both depending on terrain). I overpronate and once I switched to Brooks Adrenaline, I haven't had a single issue or injury, in over a year (I switched shoes due to "runner's knee", which is how I discovered I overpronate). My second choice shoe is the Brooks Addiction. Personally I like the extra stability I get with Brooks Adrenaline, but if my shoe ever gets discontinued, I'd switch to the Addiction.

It is really subjective though, and I highly recommend trying the shoes on in person (if you can). If you order online, make sure to read their return/exchange policy in case you need a different size, don't like how it fits, etc
  • Denise_Valentine
    Denise_Valentine Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i also have Plantar faciitis. 2 good insoles that should make most shoes great are made by Sole and Super feet. both go for around $50 a pair but have great arch support. i've used both. i also found this great site www.Thewalkingcompany.com that has a shop by comfort option. you can look for shoes that are for plantar faciitis, bunion relief, heal spurs.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if anyone could suggest running shoes for people who over pronate and have planter fasciitias problems?

Your better option than random suggestions here is to go into a store and try a few types on. Most decent shops will have a returns policy, so that if you make the wrong choice you can have a second attempt. There was a thread on here recently from a woman who had exchanged about five times, although she was carrying an injury that was affecting her ability to make a choice.

Different manufacturers do have slightly different characteristics, and some suit individuals more than others; heel cup, midfoot security, toe box, heel to toe drop etc.

Personally my road shoe is the Saucony Hurricane, and my trail shoes are Saucony Excursion although I've just ordered a pair of Xodus in advance of a trail half marathon later in the year.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Probably gonna get clobbered....

I run in Vibram Five Fingers. The type of gait you need there is actually good against PF, because you never heel-run. You land on your forefoot and slowly lower your heel, touching the ground softly. At the same time you run with your pelvis tipped forward a bit and when you land it streches your calf muscles (part of the PF problem). (Google Videos, if interested) I would think this is true for most minimalist shoes.

That is better for you knees and hips. But it does take some concentration and time for your body to get used to at the beginning.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    When I was first looking for running shoes, I tried many stores, many brands, and many models. I didn't want to spend too much money at the time, but I knew the second I put on the right ones, despite the price tag. To this day, I still wear the same brand. The manufacturers will make shoes with varying degrees of support. Find a shoe that fits comfortably, and then explore the models for which one offers the type of control/support you need.

As for plantar fasciitis, I am currently working my way through my second battle with this, my first one was seven years ago. There are stretches and exercises you can do for improvement. Icing helps and I have recently purchased specialty socks to wear at night. I am finding these tactics to be more helpful than the orthotics I had made with the previous occurrence. I work mostly on my feet for 12 hour shifts, so I get how painful it can be.

These are my opinions on each issue and what has worked for me. Take from it what you will. Hopefully, something in here will be helpful. Best wishes on your running goals. :flowerforyou:
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Go to a store/podiatrist to get properly fitted for shoes that suit your gait, people on here can only tell you what they wear, but they can't see your gait to know what would be best for you.