how accurate is everyone finding the calories burned?

Options
Couple of days ago I did a few songs on just dance 2 to get me started and I went to tot it up on here and it said that for 25 minutes I would have burned over 200 calories! I didn't believe this for one minute so I put that I did 15 minutes instead, which still came up as over 130.

I was just wondering if people have found the exercises on here to be fairly accurate or not :)

Replies

• JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    its totally off.

Get yourself a heart rate monitor :heart:
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The actual number of calories burned depends on your height, weight and age. You are right, the calories burned are way off. You need a HRM for the most accurate amount burned. It made a huge difference. I wasn't burning nearly as much as it was telling me. HRM is more accurate.
  • abbyrowley
    Options
    LOL! Thought it was too good to be true!

Thank you!
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    where's the best place to get one and how much are they?
  • breetum
    Options
    Here's my question. I'm new to myfitnesspal.com. I like it, but I think I'm eating more calories than they list. For example, I had a grilled turkey and cheese for dinner. I looked it up and it said 231 calories, so I added the butter I had cooked it in, but I'm still concerned that my sandwich was more than the "turkey and cheese" on the list. It's a little frustrating. But I figure I'll add 150 more calories to my list just to stay on track.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just finished doing Just Dance 2 "Just Sweat" and I burned 287 for 30 mins. I use a heart rate monitor. So your total could be correct. It depends on your heart rate, height, weight, age and sex.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I have a Mio Motivia Petite, it's the HRM that only goes on your wrist like a watch instead of involing a chest strap. The only downfall to this style is that you should check your pulse (involes holding two buttons down for a couple seconds) every few minutes for the most accurate readings. It was $100 at ****s Sporting Goods, but I got mine for $40 on ebay. I LOVE IT!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Here's my question. I'm new to myfitnesspal.com. I like it, but I think I'm eating more calories than they list. For example, I had a grilled turkey and cheese for dinner. I looked it up and it said 231 calories, so I added the butter I had cooked it in, but I'm still concerned that my sandwich was more than the "turkey and cheese" on the list. It's a little frustrating. But I figure I'll add 150 more calories to my list just to stay on track.

I enter my own nutrition facts from my packages for the most part. I list everything separately so that I can make sure I'm accurate. When someone puts in Turkey sandwich thats really broad. All turkey and cheese doesn't the same calories and such.
  • juliec0619
    juliec0619 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

The recipe builder works well too for these kinds of things. But I too think adding everything separate is best.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I run I burn about 100 calories every 10 min. I consider that one of the toughest exercises I do so I'm a bit more conservative with my "burned calories" for other exercise. I think heart rate monitors are probably the most accurate, but I haven't gotten around to purchasing one yet.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree completely....use the nutritional info on the product, or look it up on-line (almost all food producers/manufacturers will have the nutritional info of their products on their websites) in order to stay accurate.

Welcome to MFP & best of luck on your journey!
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I think there stats are a little low. They never get my elliptical calories correct. I also use a calorie counter heart rate monitor which was priced good at Costco. They don't know my speed or resistance they just calculate averages.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Heart rate monitor - I have a Polar F4 that I picked up for $110. Was worth every penny. It keeps me motivated when I work out. I won't work out without it! Any sort of running store, or fitness centre should stock them. Polar is a superb brand!

Calories - I add my ingredients seperately for the most part. BUT, there's some stuff that I add according to weight. Example, we pick up these delicious salmon pies from a local bakery. So I weighed it with my food scale and found a "salmon pie" in the MFP database that was the same weight and thats how I count that particular item.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I have the same problem. I increase my serving amount to increase the calories they count.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I actually go double of what fitness pal says....
  • veggiegirl314
    Options
    My HRM counts WAY more than what MFP says.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    The elliptical at my work (which is a high-end one) was almost HALF what MFP said I burned. MFP said for 30 minutes I burned over 600 calories (yeah right)....the machine which went off my weight and heart rate, said 378.
  • AlliDoisWin81
    Options
    I definitely second the idea of getting a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar brand and wear it every time I do cardio.