fame & fortune

Options

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    From experience:
    Inherited $250K from proceeds of deceased parent's home.

Bought two rental properties in Texas. Earning roughly 8% annual income on the investment. It is enough income to keep us above water on tuition loan payments for 3 different colleges at the same time. No Fame No fortune, but hope that we will one day retire free from debt.

Do you work as well, or just live off that?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I want to know where you live that you can get a house and land in the country for 50k lol

I grew up in Ohio. My parents bought a home and 1/2 acre of land for $25,000.

I think the key is your parents. I live in the country and have 1/2 an acre and my house + land originally cost $175k, and now its valued $225k.. Oh, this is in Texas..

The only land + house you can get that, I know of, for $50k has wheels...

The best option is to look in to tiny living.. Yes...... $10k for a home thats itty bitty, requires 10 minutes of light cleaning, and prevents family from wanting to come over? SOLD!

Texas sounds expensive. My parents have a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home that is not on wheels.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    But when did they buy it?
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I want to know where you live that you can get a house and land in the country for 50k lol

I grew up in Ohio. My parents bought a home and 1/2 acre of land for $25,000.

I think the key is your parents. I live in the country and have 1/2 an acre and my house + land originally cost $175k, and now its valued $225k.. Oh, this is in Texas..

The only land + house you can get that, I know of, for $50k has wheels...

The best option is to look in to tiny living.. Yes...... $10k for a home thats itty bitty, requires 10 minutes of light cleaning, and prevents family from wanting to come over? SOLD!

Texas sounds expensive. My parents have a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home that is not on wheels.

Even still.. if you wanted to buy cheap, a tiny house is the way to go. So simple. You could travel.. It is the epitome of freedom... I am all for anything that takes 10 minutes to clean, but more importantly, keeps my family at bay.

week-in-review-darren-criss-gifs-awesome.gif
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    id buy a car
    and a new trailer

and some vegan ice cream
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    oh, when you said property I was thinking like a few acres.

I'm in Texas and have been looking at a couple of acres with a house and it's running into the 75-100k range, not even for a big house. land be expensive, yo.

This makes sense. I've lived in New Orleans for almost 10 years and land with a home there is expensive there too. I guess it just depends on what you want.

You're not going far enough out. My parents bought 60 acres of land out in Folsom, and built a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 3000 sq ft house for under $100k.

Of course, this was in 1976. :wink:
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options

I'm in Texas and have been looking at a couple of acres with a house and it's running into the 75-100k range, not even for a big house. land be expensive, yo.

This makes sense. I've lived in New Orleans for almost 10 years and land with a home there is expensive there too. I guess it just depends on what you want.

You're not going far enough out. My parents bought 60 acres of land out in Folsom, and built a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 3000 sq ft house for under $100k.

That's the key... when i said the key was your parents, this is what I meant lol.. That doesn't happen anymore ever... anywhere. :ohwell:
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I would pay off my house and my cars and then continue to work. $250K would definitely change my life. I would have no bills anymore other than utilities. That's huge!!
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    $250K (assuming I didn't have to pay taxes on it) wouldn't even cover paying off HALF of my mortgage. So no change to my lifestyle at all.

BTW, I'm in Southern California. $250K won't even buy you a 1 bdrm condo in a crappy neighborhood here.
  • jnichel
    Options

That's the key... when i said the key was your parents, this is what I meant lol.. That doesn't happen anymore ever... anywhere. :ohwell:

I'm not the Ohio guy. I don't know how long ago his parents bought that house.

Key for my parents, outside of the year, was that Folsom, Louisiana was out in the sticks. People from New Orleans were moving north, but they weren't going as far as Folsom, and the land was cheap ($300 per acre). My dad's side of the family owns an electrical contracting company, so much of the work was done dirt cheap.

You can still find land under $500 an acre, IF you are willing to live out in the boonies, but unless you can build a house yourself, that's where the real cost is going to come in. Even without labor, the cost of building materials has far out-paced the average income increase.
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options

Key for my parents, outside of the year, was that Folsom, Louisiana was out in the sticks. People from New Orleans were moving north, but they weren't going as far as Folsom, and the land was cheap ($300 per acre). My dad's side of the family owns an electrical contracting company, so much of the work was done dirt cheap.

You can still find land under $500 an acre, IF you are willing to live out in the boonies, but unless you can build a house yourself, that's where the real cost is going to come in. Even without labor, the cost of building materials has far out-paced the average income increase.

I know you aren't the ohio guy.. I said your parents referencing this ohio guy, if he ever comes back.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    A Quarter Mil is the cost of a nice house in some places. I'd still have to work to support the house and myself. That said...I'd buy a modest house, probably one in foreclosure for under $100-Thou. That leaves me with at least $100,001 left. Not really a lot, if you think about it. I'd put that into an investment account to save it for my old age.

Also, given that there would be no mortgage/rent any longer, that means I'd have an extra $887 a month to play with. SO with that money, there would definitely be maid and lawn service. I might even install a pool and get pool service.

Might make it easier to take time off work to travel and do events, since...again..an extra $887 a month I don't have to spend on housing.

Now...if we're talking Power Ball multi-millions. Yup. I'd buy a nice house, a nice car, invest in mental health, substance abuse, homelessness services for the state, have plenty of time off in order to rally my congresspeople and senators into actually getting off their butts and doing the right thing for once for our vulnerable adults and children. Might even open a few emergency shelters and staff them with GOOD and well paid social workers, etc to rehabilitate and facilitate reentry into society and follow up/supportive services.

It's VERY needed.
  • jnichel
    Options

I know you aren't the ohio guy.. I said your parents referencing this ohio guy, if he ever comes back.

I'm easily confused. :laugh:
  • jnichel
    Options
    Damn, we're all missing the obvious answer of how it would change our lives....

HOOKERS AND BLOW!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Quarter of a million is not much in reality. If you invested it and tried to live off the interested, even managing 10% year over year for returns, that is only $25k before taxes, so probably $19K per year bring home. BUT...that would be a GREAT nest egg to let sit and churn for about 10 years to build for retirement.

Most people would blow it becuase they don't understand wealth.

Just my .02
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well.... I was actually making a list of things I would do now (not on welfare, by the way...just wanted to make that clear) if I won $100K from the lotto.... so $250K will go so much further....

1. Pay the taxes for the winnings.
    2. Pay off my credit card debt.
    3. Pay off my car.
    4. Max out my Roth IRA contributions for the current year (and now that I have more $$ to play with) save the $5,000 a year I am allowed to contribute for the next 7 to 10 years (35K-50K) in a target retirement fund so that while the cash is sitting in savings, it is still making dividends and capital gains. This cash can also be used as reserves for emergencies.
    5. Pay off the mortgage of my rental property.
    6. Buy 1 or 2 more rental properties.
    7. Hopefully there's some left over for savings and diversify my investment portfolio.... to do fun things. Like travel or buy a modest home in some exotic vacation location by the beach.... or buy a nicer car....

And that is what I would do.....
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    :smokin: Thankyou for all your comments. After sleeping on it; I would like to do what Katherine Zeta-Jones did. She had moderate success in the UK and decided to go to USA to further her career. She was virtually unknown in the states. She set up her appartment, and started seeking film and television agents. The rest was history. Because she had money, she didn't have to wait on tables like everybody esl with stars in their eyes. And get their butts kicked... And end up broke and go home.:brokenheart:
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Only a quarter million?! Lol...I'd keep working...
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I would put on the mortgage and get some sweet gym equipment
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Plastic surgery on face, upper arms, and torso to tighten my skin to look younger.