Has anyone tried Curves?

Options
I was just wondering if any of you ladies have tried out Curves for your workout? I am thinking about joining the center where I live, but I want to know if it is worth the money, and how well it helps you to lose weight and get in better shape.

Replies

• angeladawn88
    Options
    I haven't but one of my sisters has and she really liked it. i also work with a bunch of ladies that go too. only heard good things. if you have the time. do it! lol.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago when they first opened here in Phoenix. The work outs initially seem great, upbeat and fairly easy to do. It's circuit training with resistance so it tones you up and makes you sweat... but after a while, it seems like you just top out as the reps are the same and no extra resistance is added. In order to continue losing, you end up having to do it for a lot longer than the initial 30 minutes.
  • candycana
    candycana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago when they first opened here in Phoenix. The work outs initially seem great, upbeat and fairly easy to do. It's circuit training with resistance so it tones you up and makes you sweat... but after a while, it seems like you just top out as the reps are the same and no extra resistance is added. In order to continue losing, you end up having to do it for a lot longer than the initial 30 minutes.

Ditto. I tried it several years ago with the same experience.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I had a Curves membership and cancelled it. I went faithfully for 6 months, gave my everything in my workouts, pushed myself, went for 30 minutes per day 5-6 days per week (they recommend 3 days) and I did not lose a single pound. I found the workouts to not have enough resistance to make a dent, and who can really get a great workout in 30 minutes when you're only spending a few minutes on each machine? I found it annoying that you couldn't go for more than 30 minutes and, when it was time to leave, I hadn't even begun to feel a burn. I say to save your money and buy an XBox Kinect or Wii instead and actually workout in the privacy of your own home. I just started this on December 20th and lost 6.4 lbs already----a major improvement over the 0 lost in 6 months of Curves.

I should also mention, from a PR perspective, Curves treated me awfully when I wanted to cancel my membership and made it a HUGE hassle.
  • kelsy307
    kelsy307 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! Looks like I might just stick to the gym :)
  • jjcollins83
    Options
    i do zumba and LOVE IT and i also have the wii fit and zumba for the wii
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago when I was on a vicious exercise and diet plan. I cant say for sure whether I would have lost weight by only doing the curves workout. Its very low impact, it is just a series of resistance equipment - meaning you work harder by putting in more effort. Its great for beginners or a first time workout experience because it is structured The CD playing actually tells you when to get off the equipment and move to the next one. You do each machine for 30 seconds, then a walk in place/ other movement for 30 seconds until you've completed about 30 minutes (or 3 complete rounds of all the equipment). Thats all it is though. There is no cardio, exercise balls or other equipment for when you become more advanced. I feel an investment in a regular gym is much more effective and worthwhile. Curves doesnt really give you many options or room for advancement. But it does get you moving and its a nice, friendly environment.
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I should also mention, from a PR perspective, Curves treated me awfully when I wanted to cancel my membership and made it a HUGE hassle.

I agree... you must pay for 3 to 6 months in advance and cancelling was a nightmare for me, too.