ACTIVITY TRACKER WORTH IT?

Options
So are this things worth it? I normally go to the gym, play some racket ball and swim for a bit.. Want a way to track burnt calories.. Been looking at the Misfit Shine.. Wondering if it is worth it?

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes they're worth it. I am not sure about that specific device, I use a Jawbone UP to track my steps and I can also add in other workouts on it. I plug it into my android, but the ones made for iPhones are not that accurate. It syncs with MFP to give you a more accurate picture of what you're burning during the day.

Just read the online reviews and go with it if it will suit your needs. Hopefully it will sync with MFP?
  • TeenageMutantNinjaMike
    Options
    I have contemplated one, but more to make sure I am keeping active vs. steps, etc. Just making sure I am up and moving more.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
  • miguelv06
    miguelv06 Posts: 17
    Options
    Besides the Misfit Shine any other water resistant one? like for swimming
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you want something that tracks exercise I def recommend a heart rate monitor. I was on the fence about purchasing one vs. an all day activity tracker, but decided on getting the Polar FT7 and am very satisfied. It's nice to know how many calories I burn when I exercise and it's more accurate in my opinion w/ the chest strap.

Best of Luck,
    Joanna
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your looking for.

If you just want a rough estimate of calories burned during cardio exercises, than get a water proof HRM.

If you want a better idea of how active you really are, how many calories you burn in 24hrs, ect, than get an activity tracker.

I don't know about the particular device your looking at. I tried looking it up, but couldn't find any information as to what exactly it tracks. So I don't know if it will do what you want. I have a fitbit flex that is waterproof, but it can't accurately track swimming. It being water proof is more of a convenience of not having to remove it other than for charging.

I actually own both a HRM and an activity tracker (Fitbit Flex). I love them both and using them together gives me a better idea of how many calories I burn.
  • miguelv06
    Options
    I dont really feel like wearing it 24/7 i only want to wear while swimming and playing racket ball to know how many calories im burning

Maybe ill go play soccer for few hours i kinda want to know how many calories i burnt
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I dont really feel like wearing it 24/7 i only want to wear while swimming and playing racket ball to know how many calories im burning

Maybe ill go play soccer for few hours i kinda want to know how many calories i burnt

Sounds like you'd be better off with a water proof heart rate monitor.
  • miguelv06
    Options
    do all hrm make u wear a chest strap?
  • laclaymom
    laclaymom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought the Fitbit Flex. I wanted to track steps and calories. Am loving the fact that I can also do some sleep tracking and it tells me how restless I was during the night. The fact that I can sync it with MFP is a HUGE BENEFIT. I am very pleased.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    With current technology, wearing a heart rate monitor with a chest strap is the most accurate way to get an estimate of calories burned whilst doing a particular aerobic activity. I have used a Polar one for years and really like it. If you don't want to wear a strap you have to settle for big errors in the calorie burn estimates. They aren't really designed for wearing all day to estimate cals burnt.

I have had a Fitbit Flex for a few weeks now and I like it because it really highlights how much you can be inactive outside of times of doing formal exercise and motivates me to move around. The calories it estimates you are burning though is very much a loose estimate and I place no weight in the number it gives me because it doesn't monitor heart rate (ie I don't use it to figure out how much to eat etc). Although some people seem to have success using it that way. I like the steps monitoring a lot.
  • I3righti3lue24
    I3righti3lue24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Love my jawbone up24, syncs with my IPhone and works great. So far it seems accurate from what I've found. But I also use a HRM (Polar f4) when doing my cardio, walking, and stuff as this gives me a 'closer more realistic calorie range' than MFP.
  • Berry2084
    Berry2084 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So I am also considering an activity tracker/smart watch. My activities include gym workouts, cycling, football(soccer) and swimming. I hate running with a passion haha so will an activity tracker work for the activities I do.

I like the idea of a heart rate monitor but don't fancy wearing anything round my chest.

I also would like whatever it is to tell the time so was wondering if anyone had tried smart watches for this and how they felt they worked?
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex, i'm just deciding to sell it after using it for a few months, cant say its much use really
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I have a FitBit flex and can't find it. lol. I just donloaded an app that works with MFP. Can't remember the name. I love it. It shows a map of my steps, when I actively track and also shows If I step into a store or take a detour or cross the street. I look like a drunken sailor as I walk.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I think they are a very good investment. They are great for keeping you honest and getting your activity in every day. I think their accuracy can very a bit depending on the person wearing them though. I find my fitbit flex is eerily accurate. When I calculate my deficit from my average weight loss my fitbit flex seems to agree to within a couple of hundred calories. I think that if you get a good balance of different types of activities they work well. Since they tend to over track some and under track others if you favor a particular activity heavily they might not be as good for helping with your tdee. But they are still really really good for making sure you do your **** each day.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Calories spent are an approximation based on BMI but not what you really burn over a day / period of time.
    Tracking your sleep - really need a piece of plastic around your arm to tell you if you slept well or not?
    How many steps you do in a day - if you consider it an essential information then i guess it might be worth it.... maybe.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Calories spent are an approximation based on BMI but not what you really burn over a day / period of time.
    Tracking your sleep - really need a piece of plastic around your arm to tell you if you slept well or not?
    How many steps you do in a day - if you consider it an essential information then i guess it might be worth it.... maybe.

Depending on the activity steps don't just include walking or running steps. My fitbit is pretty good at tracking burns from the elliptical and rowing machines too. Because it involves a lot of wrist movement. I am fully aware that calorie burn is an estimate but honestly unless you want to go round with the calorimeter bag-pack and a breather on all day .. everything is an estimate. and they can be surprisingly accurate. If you have lost weight consistently all it takes is a little math to find your deficit. just get your average lbs lost per week and times it by 3500 then divide by 7 to get your average daily deficit and then see if your tracker agrees.

I have found that depending on the person they can be surprisingly accurate or very inaccurate. Wether they work well for you requires your own testing.