How Long Should You Do Cardio to Lose Weight

Options
To start with consider quality versus amount. In the event that you are going truly abate and utilizing next to no exertion and you are on the treadmill for two hours or running up a slope for sprints, which an activity strategies do you think will work best for you to get thinner?

I am a firm devotee to what you put in is the thing that you will get out (as long as it is savvy and computed). The more exertion that you put into your cardio, the better and speedier your results you will be.

Replies

• RobBMF
    RobBMF Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im I huge believer in HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) when I do my cardio. I usually do an intense 30-40 cardio session 4-5 days a week then a nice long slow endurance session once a week. I find I get the biggest bang for my buck this way. I hope this helps.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've consistently lost weight doing 1-2 hours of cardio 3-5 times weekly. I routinely beat my goal of loosing 2 lb's a week, I have seen my track times slowly improve, and my energy levels are up overall. HIIT is great for individuals trying to put on muscle, increase their VO2 max, and those with limited time.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in considering preferences and needs as far as the addition of, quantity of, and duration of cardio.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I have been pretty happy no matter how I go about it.

I got a fitbit and try to get 10,000 steps a day...has made a huge difference no matter whether I do it all at once or throughout the day.

It has simply made me more active.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I personally have never mixed the two together..... I prefer to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight through my diet alone and keep the exercise strictly of the mindset that I am doing it for overall fitness.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not really necessary for weight loss but it helps.

Hit cardio will improve your ability to summon large amounts of energy for short periods of time.

Steady state cardio will improve your stamina.

I suggest you find a nice balance of both. Because that's really the most effective way to increase calorie burn if that's what you are looking for. They complement one another quite nicely.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I personally have never mixed the two together..... I prefer to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight through my diet alone and keep the exercise strictly of the mindset that I am doing it for overall fitness.

This!
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options

This!

X2

One Big Mac will wipepout hrs on the treadmill. Took me a while to really understand how Diet is 80% (give or take) the key to losing weight. Exercise as in Weightlifting builds muscle. Cardio is good for the heart and overall fitness. Sure you lose fat doing weightlifting and cardio, but the biggest bang for the buck is simply watching one's diet.
  • Fredfishman
    Options
    Reduce calories to lose weight.
    Weight lift to look good naked and thin.
    Cardio for cardiovascular fitness and endurance.

Running to lose weight its like lifting for cardiovascular health. Sure they help but are pretty inefficient at it.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I too have come to separate sports from weightloss. I've gone through the misery of injury and muscle catabolism from exercising too hard on a deficit and I'm not going there again. I feel like I owe my body and heart a massive apology!

I think trying to lose fat on anything other than low impact exercise and small deficit is self abuse. I've been there though.

Nowadays if I'm going to ask my body to do the things I want it to ie, run 5k in 21 mins, squat 130lb, hill sprints, swim train for 90 minutes, cycle at 35k an hour, I'm bloody well going to fuel it properly! Side effects are muscle building on excess days and a small deficit some days which I lose body fat on. I log meticulously to maintain, but I waver a little either side.

Results, 15-18% body fat, no injuries, good performance results, vitality.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I too have come to separate sports from weightloss. I've gone through the misery of injury and muscle catabolism from exercising too hard on a deficit and I'm not going there again. I feel like I owe my body and heart a massive apology!

I think trying to lose fat on anything other than low impact exercise and small deficit is self abuse. I've been there though.

Nowadays if I'm going to ask my body to do the things I want it to ie, run 5k in 21 mins, squat 130lb, hill sprints, swim train for 90 minutes, cycle at 35k an hour, I'm bloody well going to fuel it properly! Side effects are muscle building on excess days and a small deficit some days which I lose body fat on. I log meticulously to maintain, but I waver a little either side.

Results, 15-18% body fat, no injuries, good performance results, vitality.

:drinker:
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I hate cardio, get it in perhaps once or twice a month.
    Focus on lifting heavy things more..

I concentrate on my diet to lose weight, working for me :drinker:
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I believe you can lose weight without exercising at all as long as your in calorie deficit. However what you do in the gym can only help. Personally, I do longer, lower intensity cardio. Part of that is because I'm so horrifically out of shape, that walking is all I can do and still breathe! :-). I am aiming more for cardiovascular fitness. And I continually but gradually up my speeds as I get in better shape. When I get to the point that I can breathe when I run.... Then I may start looking at doing HIIT periodically.