Switching from diet to maintenance

Options
I have a question: I plan to end my diet on September 1st and follow the advice outlined in this guide: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/endomorph-bodybuilding-workout-diet-results

So I'll start eating my maintenance calories, ignore the weight gain for 2 weeks, and then after 4 more weeks adjust as needed. However, as an Endomorph, I was planning on being cautious with how many extra carbs I have. Right now I'm losing weight on 100g carbs a day, and was going to switch to 125g, but is that enough to see an increase in water retention? And if it's not, then if I continue to increase my carbs to figure out what my max is, is it possible I'll start seeing water retention later on and mistake it for fat gain, because it didn't happen earlier?

Should I instead start with a higher amount of carbs, which will guarantee the water retention happens early on, and then adjust as required as the guide suggests?

Thanks!

Replies

• Rumik
    Rumik Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest. The plan you put up sounds good, but I'm surprised at the carbs. I can't lose weight or keep it off if I get more than 40% or so of my calories from carbs.
  • Rumik
    Rumik Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying. Anybody else? :(
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The amount of weight you could potentially gain from glycogen storage is less than 1kg.

So, I think it is not worth worrying about.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You never really stop a 'diet', you simply transition to another way of eating. I rarely use the word because I didn't diet as much as I changed my entire life starting with the food I ate.

To be honest, I don't over think what I eat. People have to do what works for them but I don't worry too much about how many carbs I have in a day. I concentrate more on the kind of food I'm eating in regards to more whole foods and limiting processed foods. I've been doing this for several years and it works for me :smile: Carbs are have been so demonized that people think they have to restrict or cut them out but you really don't. Certainly follow the rule of everything in moderation but also remember that you have to enjoy life too.

You've got this! Take maintenance one day at a time and you'll be fine :happy:
  • Marnie102
    Marnie102 Posts: 13
    Options
    I don't diet I just eat the right foods. I try not eat any more that I am aloud to for carbs for the day. I have been doing this for 7 months now. On cardio days I don't get as hungry so I tend to eat less and on strength training days I tend to crave a little more carbs. I listen to my body. It all averages out. I love fresh fruit after a work out. It picks me up and cools me down. My big problem being a vegetarian is getting enough protein for the day. Beans are a great source of protein and carbs. and a great energy source. Just be careful of the sodium. I lost 40 lbs. and still going strong. I eat 100 to 150 carbs a day and I am within 10 lbs of my ideal weight.
    My husband just cut out the soft drinks and sweets and started exercising and lost 50 lbs in 5 months on 225 to 265 carbs a day. He just changed to good carbs instead of bad. He now weighs 160.
    As far as maintenance, we don't plan on changing our eating habits because it is what we should have been doing all along.