Consistently overeating "healthy" food

Options
Good day! I have a feeling that I may end up answering my own question in this description.

I find it very lucky that I absolutely love the lifestyle I'm currently living, because I know others cannot say the same when it comes to dieting or food choices. I'm vegan and I also avoid all refined, artificial stuff (white bread, white sugar, Splenda, diet soda, etc.). Honestly I've never felt better, and it has helped me heal from past issues I used to have with food.

I'm no longer tempted by "junk" food or basically the foods I don't allow myself, which is a plus, but the issue is that I end up overeating "healthy" foods (I'm using the quotations for both words since their definitions vary for different people) and going over my calorie goal. I try to get to the gym 6-7 days a week, and when the weather's nice I end up walking around outside for miles. I then feel a bit justified to eat more, but sometimes I'll end up eating almond butter (the natural kind, no additives) and fruit and that puts me over the goal for the day (1,200 to 1,600), even with the exercising calories.

I last weighed in three days ago at 113 lbs, and I'm 5'5.5". I feel and look heavier than this so that is why I'm still on this journey, even though I have no idea how much more I still want to lose. But part of me realizes that being at a lower weight might be the cause of wanting to eat more. I'd hate to put on weight because I'm just starting to like the results I've been getting.

Any advice? Should I treat the "healthy" food I binge on the same way anyone would treat trigger foods? Should I try eliminating nut butters (those seem to be quite difficult for me).

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Yes you should treat it the same because the concept of calories in vs. calories out.

It doesn't matter if you are overeating on healthy foods or junk. You will still gain weight either way if you are eating at a caloric surplus.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have a naughty list of foods that you feel guilty about eating. It's not a healthy way to look at food.

To answer your question, perhaps the foods you eat are not very satiating. Try eating more lean protein and potatoes. Yes, ordinary white potatoes. Baked, boiled, or roasted potatoes are good options.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    overeating any kind of food will lead to weight gain. However, at your height, you are already verging on underweight, and your profile says you want to lose another 15 pounds, which is troubling. I would talk to someone in your life (doctor, friend, person you trust) about your ideas of health and body image.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Where did you get your daily calorie goal? If you're active at all (which you claim to be) your urge to "overeat" is likely your body telling you you need to eat more food for energy. It sounds (and looks) like you're at the bottom end of healthy weight - if you're feeling "fat" then chances are instead of eating less you should try adding in weight training. Building solid muscles will go a long way toward helping with body image without having to drastically cut calories. I'm still recovering from an ED myself and it really sounds to me like you need to see a nutritionist or doctor. Have them help you figure out what is a truly healthy weight for your hight and lifestyle and put together a calorie goal and/or fitness plan. Sometimes it's useful to have an outside perspective. Best of luck!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but your 5'5" and 113 lbs. You thinking you look heavy is you being overly critical and could very well be a case of body dysmorphia.

And to answer the question eating over TDEE will cause weight gain no matter if you think it's healthy food or not.

If those photos are current then you should talk to someone about your body issues. You have nowhere to lose weight from.

Please get some help.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Your profile says your goal is to lose 15 pounds. That will put you under 100 pounds at 5'5". That's scary unhealthy. Perhaps you should consider consulting your doctor for advice. If the problem is that you don't like the way your body looks after weight loss, you don't need to lose more weight, just try to work on body composition with some weight training. Maybe look to add some lean mass?
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    At your height & weight - You really don't need to lose anymore!

I think you may have body dismorphia - Don't worry I have it too!!!

I feel massive all the time! Its horrible, I feel so much bigger than I am - Than I look at pictures of myself & think god I felt really fat on that day wearing that... But actually look ok!

I think the more we work out or try to improve ourselves, It makes it worse (Well maybe for me anyway)

When I didn't workout, I didn't really care what I weighed or ate!!

Maybe see someone hun xxx
  • Songofsusannah
    Songofsusannah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's less weight loss that you're looking for and more fat loss? In that case you need to start strength training - adding muscle to your frame will help you look more lean and defined.
  • Glaziazisaur
    Options
    If you are consistently obsessed with the same foods, it is possible you have a nutrition deficiency I think. I'm a tad bit taller and a tad bit heavier than you (well, more than a tad) and I think when you get closer to a maintenance weight, it becomes more important to look at balanced nutrition than only calories because that may be what is causing you to want to binge on certain foods.

It sounds like you have "blacklist" and "whitelist" foods too, which is also not a good way to look at food. Your lifestyle sounds like it's pretty healthy, so make sure your relationship with food isn't going to suffer!!