Fruit sugars- What is the ideal amount?

Options
What is the ideal amount of fruit sugar? I have 90% eliminated refined sugar but I've loaded up on fruit and would like to know how much is ideal.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes or doctor's orders, ignore MFP's sugar goal.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Please, read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If the fruit you eat fit into your daily carb allowance, you're good to go. The sugar you get from fruit also comes with fiber, vitamins, and minerals, so it's a good thing.

Allan
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not to eat more fruit than will put you over your carbs target.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you track carbs, no need to track sugar (natural or refined).

ETA: barring any medical reasons
  • Glaziazisaur
    Options
    Hi, I was searching the forums for a similar question. I was also wondering about the sugar in fruit because my sugar is consistently over, and saw the reply about carbohydrates. My carbohydrates are frequently over the limit too, so do the natural carbohydrates (such as fruit and vegetables) also are negatively affecting the overall diet?

Sorry if my question isn't clear >_<;; Thanks for any help~
  • systemlayers
    Options
    I personally wouldn't suggest going over 2 fruit servings a day. Eat as many veges as you can get in yourself (including pure veggie smoothies) but fruit does still have plenty of sugar in it and some (dried mostly) will spike your blood sugar quite a bit. Now if eating fruit keeps you off of processed foods then it's a good way to transition.

Personally I only eat berries and the odd other fruit here or there and I've found my overall desire for sugar has dramatically changed, even an apple now tastes almost too sweet and that's a good thing since coke and sweet drinks are now putrid to me.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering about the sugar in fruit because my sugar is consistently over, and saw the reply about carbohydrates. My carbohydrates are frequently over the limit too, so do the natural carbohydrates (such as fruit and vegetables) also are negatively affecting the overall diet?
    I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore carbs & fat.

It will take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a bit of fruit a day...about 4-5 servings. I still manage to net under 100g of carbs. So I'm thinking it's okay as it's still within the macros I have set for myself. I say, enjoy!
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I eat no more than 2 fruit servings a day and all before 2pm. This way it gives my body a chance to burn them throughout the remainder of the day while I am up and operable.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I

It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

^^THIS! Over the past few years I have noticed I have an increasing difficult time with blood sugar (I "randomly" drop very low, with no diabetes or insulin issues). I actually eat a little over my carb allowance with fruits and whole grains, and paired properly with fat, protein and not going too long without eating I can manage my sugar very well with very seldom issues. When I try to eat "low-carb" I start having issues.

You will figure out what works best with your body
  • GuineaPiglet
    GuineaPiglet Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a nutritionist with the same concern a few months back as I was always over. His response was that for an otherwise healthy person, the only sugar intake he would be concerned about are added sugars in processed foods, candy, soda. 3-4 servings of fruit a day are just fine. They are filling, tasty, loaded with nutrients. Berries tend to be lower in sugar and calories if you're not hitting your calorie goal because of fruit.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you track carbs, no need to track sugar (natural or refined).

ETA: barring any medical reasons

I think the same! Fruit (and veggies) are where I get most my needed carbs and the fuel it gives me is ideal! I usually will eat 3-6 fruits a day
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The ideal amount is 69
  • Glaziazisaur
    Options
    I personally wouldn't suggest going over 2 fruit servings a day. Eat as many veges as you can get in yourself (including pure veggie smoothies) but fruit does still have plenty of sugar in it and some (dried mostly) will spike your blood sugar quite a bit. Now if eating fruit keeps you off of processed foods then it's a good way to transition.

Personally I only eat berries and the odd other fruit here or there and I've found my overall desire for sugar has dramatically changed, even an apple now tastes almost too sweet and that's a good thing since coke and sweet drinks are now putrid to me.

I don't eat dry fruit. Blood sugar really does affect me quite greatly, but I don't understand it too much :P I just sometimes become extremely shaky and dizzy, which I think is a blood sugar drop.

Berries are very expensive here and I don't have refrigeration (really blows!) Normally I eat apples, but you are right, they are quite sweet!

Fizzy drinks aren't an issue for me because I don't like them :P
    I spoke to a nutritionist with the same concern a few months back as I was always over. His response was that for an otherwise healthy person, the only sugar intake he would be concerned about are added sugars in processed foods, candy, soda. 3-4 servings of fruit a day are just fine. They are filling, tasty, loaded with nutrients. Berries tend to be lower in sugar and calories if you're not hitting your calorie goal because of fruit.
    Does this mean that the red number (over limit) if it is lower than the number of sugar from natural sources (fruit and veg) is OK? And did the nutritionist mention how fruit/veg carbohydrates factor into it?

Thanks to everybody for all the replies!
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    With fruit, I'm not limiting myself, except with my daily allowance of total calories. I eat fruit by itself, so it doesn't ferment in my digestive tract and cause problems. I love fresh fruit on this program. It has replaced my craving for sweets. I don't even want sweets anymore.