Seeking a Commission at age 47

Options
I am a former sailor. Actually, I am a former recipient of a full Marine Corps/Navy ROTC scholarship to Purdue University back in 1984. I started great for the first year, then I didn't make it my priority. My grades suffered greatly and I lost that scholarship on DOR. If you are unfamiliar with that acronym, it simply means I 'dropped on request'. While I wish I could say that I could have succeeded at being an officer then, I would probably be lying.

When someone signs up for the military, regardless of the nature, they are obligated to serve. So, when I signed the DOR, I was obligated to serve my time and chose to do it as an enlisted sailor, a Botswains Mate or "Deck Ape" - a position I still hold as the greatest job that I ever had and I have ever loved. I drove cranes. I drove boats, I cleaned fittings. I fought fires. I swabbed decks(mopped ship floors for you land lubbers). I chipped and painted a ship twice in a two year span.

I loved it. I went around the world and just had the time of my life. I turned 22 in Australia. I received an AFE medal just for serving on board a great ship, the USS Emory S. Land. I wouldn't trade the time I spent nor the friends I made while I served on board her.

I loved the time so much that when I reached my EAOS (End of Active Obligated Service), I signed up to be a part of the Houston Reserve Center. I didn't like drilling as much as I did being on board ship. But, I managed to serve another year an a half in Houston. Then, my career in the Navy ended in January of 1992.

Fast Forward to September 11, 2001. I was one of the first ones in line at the Recruiter's office to get back in after the attacks on the WTC. I took the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) and scored in the 99th percentile. That means that I scored better than 99% of all others that had taken the ASVAB. I was pumped and my recruiter told me I was set for any billet(position) they had in the Navy.

Then, I broke my hand and knew I couldn't pass MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station), the wonderful physical given to entering military personnel to see if they are physically and mentally worthy to serve. So, I set that back on my 'bucket list'.

Ten years later, my son graduated from High School and asked me to help him get into the Navy. I contacted a good friend, and the then Commanding Officer of the Louisville Reserve Center. He set up an appointment and my son and I met him at the Reserve Center. My friend literally shut down the Center to allow his enlisted people speak to my son about their jobs in the Navy, and what he should expect when he gets in. In the end, my son did not join the Navy due to some medical concerns.

At one point during this trip, my good friend the Commander leaned over and asked me, "Now that you have your degree, you can get a commission." I was floored. I had forgotten about my desire to get back in. I was immediately in contact with an officer recruiter. The recruiter told me quickly that my chances of getting a commission were slim to none based on my age and my health. Waivers were available, but he told me that the competition was very steep. I gave up the dream.

Or so I thought.....

I met an officer recruiter the other day at a recruiting event (I am a recruiter in the civilian world), and he was certain that I could find a way back in. I was intrigued. I was driven. I wanted this. I just had to get my wife to "get on board".

Much to my surprise, she was all about it. As a matter of fact, she said, "Nothing would make me happier than to see you accomplish a goal you set out to complete decades ago!" I love her so much.

So, I realized that my health and physical condition were really the only obstacles from keeping me from attaining this goal.

ENTER MYFITNESSPAL!!!!

I had used it in the past, but not seriously.

IT JUST GOT REAL important to get physically fit. I had a goal to keep, and part of that goal is to be physically ready to defend my country. I spoke a oath a very long ago, and I planned on holding up to my part of the bargain!

Here are my goals:

1) Meet the Navy BMI requirements. For my age, that means to weight less than 195 lbs. I weighed 203 the other day. With my current exercise regimen, I should meet that criteria in about a 14 days.

2) Pass the Navy Physical Readiness Test. Hold up - not just pass, but pass with Excellent or above. Here is the criteria for that to happen:

MALES:  AGE 45 TO 49 YEARS

PERFORMANCE  POINTS CURL PUSH 1.5-MILE SWIM
CATEGORY   UPS  UPS RUN   500-YD
Maximum          100        88       68         9:33        7:08  
Outstanding 90 81 63 10:30 8:08
Excellent 75 73 52 12:08 9:23
Good 60 40 32 14:53 12:08
Satisfactory 45 31 21 16:08 13:38
Failure  <45 <31  <21 >16:08 >13:08

So far, I am already able to pass with a Satisfactory. (BTW - A curl-up, in civilian-speak is a sit-up)

To make Excellent, I need to improve my curl-ups, my push-ups, and my run. My swim, I can do with my eyes closed. If I keep up the work on the running, my swimming will come along as well.

a) I ran a mile in 10:30 seconds just yesterday. That's the equivalent of 1.5 miles in 15:45 seconds mathematically. Of course, I need to improve and move up to 1.5 miles, but it's very encouraging to know that I just started this less than a week ago.

b) To check my ability, I did 35 curl-ups in two minutes on my first try. It's failing, but without any practice - it's exciting to see. I have a good work out regimen that includes daily sit-ups with gradual increases, plus I am in my 5th day of the 30 day plank challenge.

c) Again, to check my ability, I did 48 push-ups in two minutes on the very first try. Passing, but not at my goal. I just started a push-up challenge also. It's only a 10 day challenge, but I believe I should get back into ship-shape quickly.

d) Swimming was my varsity sport all four years in High School. Not bragging, but I am fairly confident that I can meet the 500 yard swim requirement. But, just to be on the safe side, I plan to begin a swimming regimen, on a weekly basis, to improve that also. My limit on this one is access to a facility.

3) I am also currently on BP, Chol., and Diab. meds. My DR says that all meds can be thrown away if I simply find an exercise routine that improves my current vitals. Those vitals are on the way down - on all three.

Oh, remember that good friend of mine that closed down the Reserve Center in Louisville to help my son get in? Yea, he has offered to write a letter of recommendation to help me get this commission.

Anyway, I appreciate any encouragement any of you may have to offer, especially those of you that are future, current, or former service members.

One more thing, I have a good friend and former civilian subordinate that came to me with a desire to get into the Navy. He was very out of shape, but very excited. I could see his enthusiasm. He went to a recruiter and was told he would have to improve his BMI. He began in earnest to improve, and has just about completed that goal. Then he realized he was not in running shape. I told him about MYFITNESSPAL. Now he and I keep track of, and encourage each other.

Anyway, I have some exercises to complete. Fair winds and following seas ya'll!

Replies

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Sorry, no idea on what and how as all my god training is far too many years behind me, but I wanted to wish you well in your endeavour.

Will follow your journey with great interest.
  • Mapanggulo
    Mapanggulo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I wish you well in achieving your goal, sounds like it's just around the corner from you and you are on the right track in reaching it!

Former enlisted people make the best officers in my opinion...even if they are sailors ;)
    (Just some inter-service joking there)

- Retired Air Force Bomb Loader
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Best of luck in your testing.
  • johnprimeaux
    johnprimeaux Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement.
  • robocats9
    robocats9 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What do you mean at your age, you're only 2 ish years older than me and I think we're young! hahaha. Sounds like you're on the right track and have the right frame of mind. Best of luck to you chasing the dream!
  • cristinvl
    cristinvl Posts: 9
    Options
    Great Story! I hope you get back in like you want to. To see the World... I am 46 and just starting to work out again- hard. I feel the strength coming back into my body and it feels amazing. I used to be a beach guard in college and was in amazing shape then. I am sure that you could swim circles around me... but I was a fast runner and trained with the guys every morning. Do you have a heart monitor? If you really want to push and push hard invest the $75. in a Polar (as you can use most models to swim in as well). You may already have one as it sounds like you work out pretty regularly already. Dust that puppy off because for the running and everything else you will know how hard you can push. Sprints will greatly improve your running time- at our age it is a little easier on the body to do this on a treadmill or on an track. I will jog and then sprint till my heart rate goes to a certain point... as the time is passing I can see that it takes me longer to get to the high heart rate even though I am running at the faster pace... You can do sprint work anywhere but it really needs to be part of your running training as it will drop your time. You say the swim can be done in your sleep but your run time needs some big improvement. The guys I ran with 2-3 of them could run 4:15 minute miles... they did not really do a lot of distance running but sprint running and did a lot of the exercises you list. Pull ups, situps, pushups... this kind of working out makes you lean and mean, the best running and swimming material. I wish you the best in your quest!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You got this! :drinker:
  • johnprimeaux
    Options
    :happy: I have all of the requirements written down, and I know my limits. I don't want to go out there after 22 years of not really exercising and try to win a 10k. I want to get back into SHIP SHAPE. That simply means I can pass a PRT (Physical Readiness Test) above Good! I am on track.

Consider this - I have missed some of my exercising due to late night work. I have tried to do some strength and cardio work in the house if I miss morning work outs - which I realize may happen more often if I do not get my sleep habits back into SHIP SHAPE. Also, 22 years ago, I didn't have any kids....now I have 7 kids and 2 grand-kids. Distractions are a way of life, and I can't let my work-out routine get in the way of my life. Vice versa, I need to ensure my life doesn't get in the way of my work-out routine. Therefore, I try to work-out before my family gets up (<6AM), or after they go to bed (10PM>).

I really do appreciate your enthusiastic encouragement - it makes me greatly appreciate what I am doing, not only for myself, but for my family, and others that I may inspire by my story.

Great Story! I hope you get back in like you want to. To see the World... I am 46 and just starting to work out again- hard. I feel the strength coming back into my body and it feels amazing. I used to be a beach guard in college and was in amazing shape then. I am sure that you could swim circles around me... but I was a fast runner and trained with the guys every morning. Do you have a heart monitor? If you really want to push and push hard invest the $75. in a Polar (as you can use most models to swim in as well). You may already have one as it sounds like you work out pretty regularly already. Dust that puppy off because for the running and everything else you will know how hard you can push. Sprints will greatly improve your running time- at our age it is a little easier on the body to do this on a treadmill or on an track. I will jog and then sprint till my heart rate goes to a certain point... as the time is passing I can see that it takes me longer to get to the high heart rate even though I am running at the faster pace... You can do sprint work anywhere but it really needs to be part of your running training as it will drop your time. You say the swim can be done in your sleep but your run time needs some big improvement. The guys I ran with 2-3 of them could run 4:15 minute miles... they did not really do a lot of distance running but sprint running and did a lot of the exercises you list. Pull ups, situps, pushups... this kind of working out makes you lean and mean, the best running and swimming material. I wish you the best in your quest!
  • johnprimeaux
    Options
    So, today I finally succumbed to a good friend's urging to try the Paleo Diet. My wife actually did her own research and has decided this is most likely my best option. It effectively removes excess salt, starch, and carbs from your diet. I ate a big Cameo Apple, a YF Nectarine, 30 raw almonds, and 1/4 cup pine nuts for lunch. I am feeling really good about this decision. Full? Well, I am satisfied.
  • johnprimeaux
    Options
    What do you mean at your age, you're only 2 ish years older than me and I think we're young! hahaha. Sounds like you're on the right track and have the right frame of mind. Best of luck to you chasing the dream!

Yes ma'am, I realize I don't feel old. But, the fact that I haven't exercised in over two decades makes me a bit hesitant to go "all gangsta" on my exercise routines. Gonna take it slow and follow the goals I have for myself.
  • johnprimeaux
    Options
    You got this! :drinker:

According to my son....not only do I got this....it's got me.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Best of luck matey, I am ex Royal Navy
  • johnprimeaux
    Options
    I was privileged to visit one of your HMRS that docked in Charleston, SC in 1985. A minesweeper, but very fine vessel. You just made me all nostalgic. Fair Winds and Following Seas, Mate!
    Best of luck matey, I am ex Royal Navy
  • johnprimeaux
    Options
    So - just so you know, the first time I was onboard any ship as a sailor, I was a midshipman. I, alongside 25 other midshipmen, were ordered to help load ammunition for the 'big gun' on the destroyer we were stationed on. Let's suffice it to say that it took 5 per level to lift these monsters from the ammunition deck to the 'gun' deck (about 5 stories, straight up). Needless-to-say, none of us ever had to workout for the next few days. That, my retired 'bomb-loader', is what I called hell in a shell!
    I wish you well in achieving your goal, sounds like it's just around the corner from you and you are on the right track in reaching it!

Former enlisted people make the best officers in my opinion...even if they are sailors ;)
    (Just some inter-service joking there)

- Retired Air Force Bomb Loader
  • johnprimeaux
    Options
    Not discouraged that I gained a few pounds due to eating poorly and working a lot. I broke 200 for the first time in probably a decade. I know at one point I was at 235, so it was reason to celebrate - with pizza. However, I have discovered that food I once found incredible, like pizza from Papa John's, now taste horrible: almost a metal taste. Might be my imagination, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth now. Any similar occurrences?