Is bread REALLY that bad for you?

Options
I was having some issues with bloating and someone told me to not eat bread at all because it was one of the worst things you can eat. I eat 2 slices of Wonder Bread (yes it is white because I like white taste wise I understand how people feel about that) for breakfast and that is it. (also, even after I told this person I had eaten a rather salty meal which was probably causing my bloat she still maintained it was the bread not the salt.)

Besides the downsides of white which I am aware of, I have heard claims bread in general whether it be white, whole wheat, whole grain, rye, gluten free etc ALL BREAD IS BAD?

Can eating 2 slices in the morning really be all that bad? And is bread really as evil as people keep telling me? Thoughts?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The only way bread could be bad is if you neglect to count the calories. Just log it, fit it in your day, and move on.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    No.

I'mma eat my bagel with peanut butter. You'll have to pry it from my cold dead peanut buttery hands.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    nah, I eat like half a loaf a day and I'm awesome.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    nah, I eat like half a loaf a day and I'm awesome.

I throw it out to him like a bird... it's awesome watching him eat it. Plus, all that bread chasing totally negates any calories to begin with, so eat up!
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Nope. Moderation, look at the ingredients, moderation again. Unless you have a gluten allergy.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition? No?
    eat the bread.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Bread is delicious, I eat delicious food, I lose weight.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I was having some issues with bloating and someone told me to not eat bread at all because it was one of the worst things you can eat. I eat 2 slices of Wonder Bread (yes it is white because I like white taste wise I understand how people feel about that) for breakfast and that is it. (also, even after I told this person I had eaten a rather salty meal which was probably causing my bloat she still maintained it was the bread not the salt.)

Besides the downsides of white which I am aware of, I have heard claims bread in general whether it be white, whole wheat, whole grain, rye, gluten free etc ALL BREAD IS BAD?

Can eating 2 slices in the morning really be all that bad? And is bread really as evil as people keep telling me? Thoughts?

If you're not going to eat it, then more for me!
  • rossraskolnikov
    rossraskolnikov Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bread can contribute to digestive issues, IMO.

I recall watching a documentary where they deconstructed certain foods, bread being one of them. One of the binding agents used was something very similar to wallpaper paste. They simulated a stomach digesting meals, and the one containing this particular form of processed bread took much, much longer than the norm.
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    everyones body is different but generally I believe anything in moderation is ok
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Does it make you feel like crap? If the answer is no- eat up.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I had a bagel for breakfast and a slice of deep crust pizza yesterday. Best choice? Probably not, but I'm still alive and breathing (and within my calorie goal).
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat bread, not because I think its the debil or anything I would just rather save those calories for ice cream and beer :wink:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Bread can contribute to digestive issues, IMO.

I recall watching a documentary where they deconstructed certain foods, bread being one of them. One of the binding agents used was something very similar to wallpaper paste. They simulated a stomach digesting meals, and the one containing this particular form of processed bread took much, much longer than the norm.

And I always believe what documentaries tell me because they are 100% factual and in no way misleading
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is a matter of opinion. Personally, I eat a Paleo diet and I do not eat grains and yes, I think bread could be a cause for the bloating.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have diabetes and I limit my bread intake. I still eat it in moderation.
  • scode83
    scode83 Posts: 42
    Options

What qualifications in nutrition does this someone have?
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You might have an allergy to wheat or gluten...but i'm not qualified to speculate on that.

White bread is bleached.
    Enriched bread is stripped of its nutrients in the process and then nutrients are added back afterwards.
    Whole grain bread is more natural and lower on the GI

but thats all more in depth than you really need to go. Just keep an accurate log of the calories and eat what you want.