hungry at night

Options
My whole life I have enjoyed snacking at night. I know it's a habit I have to break. This is where my calorie-counting goes off track. Hours after my 6 pm dinner I feel hungry .... start with fruit or almonds but end with much more food than I intended, like toast, cereal and other carbs. I'm soooo frustrustrated as I am very disciplined throughout the day but blow it around 9 pm. I'm open to any tips you might have to combat this.

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I save most of my calories for night time just for this reason.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Either budget your calories in such a way that you can have your night time snacks or start a hobby that requires the use of your hands.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Budget your calories differently during the day to allow more at night. Or eat a later dinner. I don't eat dinner until I put my kid to bed, usually around 8pm. I have a high protein snack around 4pm to hold me over. Then I usually don't feel like snacking much before bed.
  • WorkoutJunkie1
    Options
    If you're a night eater, then take one of your early meals out of the day and put it at night. Eat something light. Eat a lot of vegetables. Do you workout at night too? If I eat at 8 or 9pm, I am out running 3 miles at 10pm. You just have to find foods tasty, healthier, and lighter to eat at night.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I set boundaries with myself. I tell myself No, you can have it tomorrow!
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for night time then? You don't really have to stop eating at a certain time.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people have problems sleeping or get heartburn when they eat too late at night. If you're not one of those people, then it's fine to eat as late as you want. I also budget calories for a couple of snacks in the evening. But I go into it with a plan and try to space the snacks out so that I don't just eat mindlessly throughout the night.